• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N Steering Noise / Creaking

Who says hyundai don't do the same thing. Seems a waste of garage time to dismantle a car when it can be reached.

Because Hyundai follow a TSB which tells them to take the rack out, take it apart and grease some parts inside.

The lubrication we are talking about here is not the same thing.

Reactions: _Emma and Danloki
Mine was a creak, and it was “cured” by adjusting a heatshield near the steering column. Not silicone or greasing the rack. I watched the tech do it.

A steering knock is likely to be the rack.

Constant Creak is either heatshield needs minor adjustment or a bit of silicone spray to lubricate the rubber bung area in tbe footwell/firewall.

A knock is the rack. TSB says to grease and then replace if not fixed.

Confirmed by my Hyundai tech who fixed my heatshield and his personal N heatshield and knocking rack.

Reactions: BillTheButcher
So there doesn't seem to be any one single fix for this, do we know exactly what part is faulty?
As far as the information on the worksheet goes, they've only replaced one part on my car: the steering rack. In the few miles that I've done since then, I haven't heard any knocking or creaking. Of course, it's possible that they adjusted rather than replaced another part that's fixed the creaking.

Fastback - Australia. Had the drummy metallic creaking noise start from a gradual occurrence with ~300km on odo, increasing to being continuous at approx 600km. Noise would occur with even the slightest steering wheel movement at all speeds, and also when front end was twisting going over driveways. Loud and invasive.

Tried the lube spray into the steering column housing at the firewall as mentioned previously in this thread - no improvement.

Local mechanic investigated (not Hyundai) and showed me on the lift - with steering wheel movement a relatively large heat shield located under the engine / steering components would twist making the noise. They weren't sure about adjusting the heat shield. (when the heat shield fix was mentioned earlier in this thread, I pictured a vertical circular type heat shield around the steering column running from the firewall to the rack. It is actually a flat shield probably about 40 cm across (IIRC) and maybe 30cm front to back (wish I had taken a photo) - it sits under the rack / engine mid car about in line with the pedals. it is probably about 5mm thick, it had quite a twist when moving).

Took it to Hyundai and explained the heat shield movement - within 3 hours they had adjusted this heat shield, and a second heat shield somewhere around the exhaust components - result: no more creaking. Driving daily for a week since fixed. There is an occasional creak (quiet, not invasive) but only with large steering wheel movements when stationary or slow speed (i.e parking); still absolutely nothing at driving speeds.

So much more enjoyable now without the noise.

No mention of lubrication within the rack or possible rack replacement.

That’s great news - taking it to an independent mechanic just for a look was genius:)

I saw the tech use a small pry bar to adjust mine - now I know why, sounds quite a substantial bit of metal.

I share your feeling of enjoyment once fixed. Such a relief, the silence is indeed golden.

So before any of you just roll over and let them replace the rack: unless there is a knock sound it is NOT the rack. Take note of Dingo67’s cleverness: pay for an inspection elsewhere. You don’t want the subframe dropped for no reason. Sure they *can* be disassembled and put back, but are not intended to be ;-)

Needs different grease in the bearings had mine done under warranty, seems to have cured it
Needs different grease in the bearings had mine done under warranty, seems to have cured it
Hay guys,
My fastback have exactly the same problem described, I tool it back to the dealer not long after newly purchased from Melbourne dealer, first time they say it could be the whole steering column needs replace, had to wait for dealer to schedule me back, took it back and they didn't change anything or maybe fiddling with some parts, drove out the dealer seems fine, then same issue happens again after a day or two, took it back and they've replace a bigger washer "as been told" after few days ....again same issue reappears. so 3 attempts and the dealer still could not fix the problem. I'm not sure they are trying to take a short cut trying to fix the problem or they are just not sure how to fix it.. sighhhh,,

Hay guys,
My fastback have exactly the same problem described, I tool it back to the dealer not long after newly purchased from Melbourne dealer, first time they say it could be the whole steering column needs replace, had to wait for dealer to schedule me back, took it back and they didn't change anything or maybe fiddling with some parts, drove out the dealer seems fine, then same issue happens again after a day or two, took it back and they've replace a bigger washer "as been told" after few days ....again same issue reappears. so 3 attempts and the dealer still could not fix the problem. I'm not sure they are trying to take a short cut trying to fix the problem or they are just not sure how to fix it.. sighhhh,,
You're amost spoiled for choice in Melbourne so maybe you should consider taking it to another dealer. Tell them the dealer you bought it from can't seem to fix it and offer them your future business if they can solve your issue.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Had my i30 around two weeks now from new and I've started hearing a creaking noise with a bit of movement from my wheel whether moving or stationary, could someone that's had this issue tell me if it's a similar noise in the video? (might have to turn it up a bit to hear it)

Video

Had my i30 around two weeks now from new and I've started hearing a creaking noise with a bit of movement from my wheel whether moving or stationary, could someone that's had this issue tell me if it's a similar noise in the video? (might have to turn it up a bit to hear it)

Video
Silicon grease on the base of the steering column inside the car and also underneath. Spray silicon is best.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Video
Sounds exactly like mine did. I also had a knocking sound when approaching full lock at parking speeds. Hyundai fitted a new steering rack (they tried greasing the steering rack/column first but it made no difference) which sorted it.

Reactions: Onibas96

Video

I've just noticed this exact noise at low speed maneuvering today. Might have been there for a while, usually have the radio on, so maybe not noticed it before. Think I'll have a play around with it tomorrow and then pick up a can of silicon spray if the noise is definitely there. Always something with cars!

I've just noticed this exact noise at low speed maneuvering today. Might have been there for a while, usually have the radio on, so maybe not noticed it before. Think I'll have a play around with it tomorrow and then pick up a can of silicon spray if the noise is definitely there. Always something with cars!
Look at the picture in post #19

Reactions: mikeo
Took mine to Hyundai yesterday, confirmed its a known issue and they told me they had to remove front wheels, disconnect the rack to lubricate the bearing and then use some special packing washers to move the rubber boot shown before to stop that catching too. Low and behold, the noise is all gone now and it cost absolutely nothing apart from my time lol