• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Hey guys,
I don't have a winter set so I'm looking into buying new alloys + tires. I found 2 offers :), Autec Delano 8J ET42 R18 or Alutec Monstr 7.5J ET40 R18, both on silver color. These 2 models are at a good price of around 400 EURO, new. OEM wheels are expensive and I'm not sure if the price really reflects into better quality.

What do you think will fit best? I really like Autec Delano, they are simple but good looking. What's your opinion regarding the fitment?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, should I buy separate TMPS or can I switch them from the summer wheels?

Why not just buy the winter tyres and fit them onto the existing rims 2x a year, or less?.On my prev. car i bought a seperate set of OEM rims to go with winter tyres, and they are still here after almost a year of selling the car.

I have worked out that if i change the rubber 2x a year and at more or less 100 GBP each occasion , it would be cheap than buying a full set of rims & rubber ( at aprox 450 a set of rims plus 100+ for the single tyre).

If i plan to keep the car for 5 yrs+ then a set of rims would be worth it ( without any punctures during these 5 years).

also, less hassle dealing with a set of unwanted rims in a few years time.

Because in Romania we have a lot of snow during winter and the size of the rubber on 18 is more appropriate for our roads. Also, the price for 4x 235/35/19 good rubbers is the same with a set of wheels and rubbers on 18, at least with the deals that I managed to find with my friends.

@The Lone Wolve: your calculation doesnt add up if you intend to drive your car for more than two years, if youre willing to change the wheels yourself even less, because:

- Changing tires from rim to rim is between 80-120€ where I live, changing wheels costs 30-50€ or you could do it yourself (e.g. save 30-120€ per change).
- 19" winter tires are more expensive than 18"
- You will have more wear on your wheels due to frequent changing of tires, putting on and off of balancing weights, etc.

plus you need the same storage space anyway, doesnt matter if you put only tires or entire wheels there and if you sell the car, just sell it with winter wheels and you'll even get some bucks back.

@The Lone Wolve: your calculation doesnt add up if you intend to drive your car for more than two years, if youre willing to change the wheels yourself even less, because:

- Changing tires from rim to rim is between 80-120€ where I live, changing wheels costs 30-50€ or you could do it yourself (e.g. save 30-120€ per change).
- 19" winter tires are more expensive than 18"
- You will have more wear on your wheels due to frequent changing of tires, putting on and off of balancing weights, etc.

plus you need the same storage space anyway, doesnt matter if you put only tires or entire wheels there and if you sell the car, just sell it with winter wheels and you'll even get some bucks back.

I might have expressed myself wrong :oops:. Had been a long day in the West bank before crossing back to Jerusalem.

Lets do it like this;

My last car I bought an extra set of 4 rims ( exactly the same as the OE ones) and 4 x conti. winter tyres. In total I spent around 800 GBP more or less for all these 8 items.

When I sold the car to a second hand carsales place, they did not want the rims with the winter tyres because in the UK, many don't believe in them. They just bought the car with the summers on.

Today, there are 4 wheels with winter tyres in my garden. I need to wait until the winter to sell them but the rims are in bad condition ( about 8 yrs old) and like I said, here the winter is not really in demand.

To recondition the rims would cost 70GBP each. The rims is a plain boring VW design and would only be usefull as a replacement for a damaged wheel from a similar VW car.

So faced with this experience, I elected to buy just the winter tyres (without another set of rims) for the N, and have the local tyre fitting company to change them 2 times per year. They charge around 80 GBP to change all 4 tyres plus the balancing ( no disposal charge of course).

My calculation was therefore based on say 800 GBP ( the cost of buying 4 rims and 4 winter tyres and changing the wheels myself) is more costly than me having just one set of rims ( free from the car), 4 winter tyres ( say 500 GBP in total) and using the tyre fitters to change them twice per year.

The rims would be sold with the car and the tyres would have been worn anyway. Also, no more unwanted rims a few years done the line.

This method would work out for me if i keep the N for just about 4 years.

If i plan to keep the N for more than 4 years, then buying a full set of both rims and tyres would be the better, like when i had my previous car for 8 years.

I do fancy a seperate set because i used to enjoy changing the wheels myself, but money talks in the end. Furthermore, i am too lazy to sell those old rims by ebay.

Still, if you calculate 800£ for wheels vs. 500£ for tires + 2x80£ a year for changing you’re spending more in your case as of the end of second year of ownership.
However, about not having wheels laying around if no one wants to buy them with the car once you sell it, you’re right. But I can’t (or for the sake of my believe in mental sanity of people in the uk I don’t want to) believe that you guys are not “believing” in winter tires :eek: I mean, it’s not a matter of believing, once temps go below ~7°C and it’s a little wet, winter tires will perform better than usual summer tires. And i think you get these weather conditions quite frequently, right?

I agree, and I beleive in winrer tyres, but here the weather often is unpredictable in severity. Yes, we do get a long period of below 7 Celsius but for the last few years ( in where i live) we only had less than 5 days of snow. And the snow was not more than 10cm in thickness.

Even with snow, the main roads were salted by the local government and if you don't venture far from the main routes, you would not drive on top of any snow.

This is why the general driving culture here is less concerned about winter tyres. Recently, there had been an increase in awareness of All season tyres and this type would resolve the discussion and dilemma we had , by having just one set of tyres forever.

All season tires would probably be well for the average 1.6 tdi golf driver but not for our cars. However, winter tires are not just necessary on snow but already at one-figure temps. But I can already see, we’re on the same page here ;)

You are talking from your point of view from a man who is living in the UK.
But from my side winter tires are mandatory, we have pretty nasty winters in Romania :).

So a pair of new wheels and winter tires is much needed.

Probably in the next weeks I will order the Rial Lucca alloys and after that the tires.

Winter is coming! :D:cool:

@Feri130 which wheels did you get? My dealer told me that 18" wheels wouldn't fit over brakes?
He lied or didnt know better. I have 18" wheels and dealers said too that they dont fit but checked from hyundai and they do fit. Driving around with stock hyundai 18" with no problem. Much better ride with 18" when you have studded Winter tyres that we use in finland.

Hi i30 N owners, I am also joined for the club :) and want to ask somebody who has already experiment with different ET number wheels. What is the effect to the steering and stability of 10mm difference (ET45 VS the standard ET55)? Especially by powerful acceleration or braking during bad conditions (the Wheel on one side has more grip as on the other). Torque steering is stronger?
Thanks a lot.

Any issues with putting 235/40/19 winters on the stock 19"s? Prices for 40 are much better than 35. I don't want to get separate winter wheels. Dealer says it's no problem. I've always gone up by 5 on winter tyres for my previous my cars.