• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

2021 i30 N

Xcelr8

Nthusiast
Feb 11, 2021
Australia
Can't help wondering if these reviews of the DCT are giving a true picture of its performance. What mode and settings are they using. Have they used the NGS button and would it be quicker to use full auto? I'd certainly like to see a more detailed review.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. And I thought it was 392Nm base torque plus over boost (NGS).

Xcelr8

Nthusiast
Feb 11, 2021
Australia
Finally have been told that my car (loose term until I buy it) should be delivered to dealer early next week. Will get a call to head round and see it taken off the transporter!

Bout bloody time!

The only problem with the above animated gif, its a friggin Honda!

Largoat

Nthusiast
Jul 10, 2021
England
Here is a new comparison...
There's just something I don't like about Steve's reviews. Everytime he does a review it seems like he's made up his mind before he even sees the car. Either way, I'm not surprised at the result.

The Type R is an absolute weapon and I would have had one if it weren't for the price. Yes technically the i30N is the same price (ish) but with an 11% on the i30N compared to a Zero discount on the Type R it brought the i30N back in to my budget.

The S3 is just another Golf clone now. Not interested no matter how fast it goes.

Howy

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2017
West Yorkshire
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. And I thought it was 392Nm base torque plus over boost (NGS).
And what about N Track sense shift Hyundai quote "
Senses how you're driving and activates when it knows you're driving on a track. It then
selects the right gear for optimal performance so you can focus on steering –
just like a professional race car driver. "

He was manually changing so no N Track sense???

Also small point he was in a car without N light seats so not optimum weight saving.

itsauu

Jul 3, 2021
Latvia
And what about N Track sense shift Hyundai quote "
Senses how you're driving and activates when it knows you're driving on a track. It then
selects the right gear for optimal performance so you can focus on steering –
just like a professional race car driver. "

He was manually changing so no N Track sense???

Also small point he was in a car without N light seats so not optimum weight saving.
Reliable sources tell that he had a huge breakfast that morning and didn’t go to the bathroom during that particular day, so that do account as well.

AntBoii

Nthusiast
Jul 2, 2021
North Yorkshire
There's just something I don't like about Steve's reviews. Everytime he does a review it seems like he's made up his mind before he even sees the car. Either way, I'm not surprised at the result.

The Type R is an absolute weapon and I would have had one if it weren't for the price. Yes technically the i30N is the same price (ish) but with an 11% on the i30N compared to a Zero discount on the Type R it brought the i30N back in to my budget.

The S3 is just another Golf clone now. Not interested no matter how fast it goes.
He was saying some very similar words in the i20n vs i30n video.

Reactions: Largoat

GazmaN

Staff member
Nthusiast
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
The Type R is an absolute weapon
I do not need to be reminded. My arse has been handed to me on a plate more than once on the street (I'm a slow learner obviously) and once on track - you just can't keep up. I can't comment on the facelift but the 1st generation N is a weapon too; maybe a machete? The Type R is a bloody scalpel 🙄

Reactions: Largoat and mcb6110

N-Raged

Nthusiast
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney

Not sure if you’ve seen the pics of the new Civic? But the Type R won’t only be the fastest, but also the best looking, it’s a massive improvement over the current design..

N-Raged

Nthusiast
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney
@N-Raged I don’t agree. Did check the pictures online, still a spaceship. I mean, I did daily an STI for 5 years, but Type-R design is just too much in your face kind of one; or I’m just getting old.
A spaceship is a bit of a stretch, it’s a lot more toned down than the current one, and its definitely a step in the right direction, Honda’s were my favourite cars back in the 90s 00s, I hope they bring those glory days back..

Reactions: itsauu

RasherN

Nthusiast
Mar 3, 2021
Romania - Bucharest
So I just got back doing my first launches and for my first ones with the "shitty" P Zero tires I've managed 0-100Km/h in 5.63s not great, not terrible.

I've used the following settings: DCT, ESC OFF, LAUNCH RPM set to 3000. Everything was measured with Dragy device.

I'm pretty sure I can do better but maybe next time.

Largoat

Nthusiast
Jul 10, 2021
England
Not sure if you’ve seen the pics of the new Civic? But the Type R won’t only be the fastest, but also the best looking, it’s a massive improvement over the current design..
The tame(r) looking car is the Sportline. Same Type R but without huge wing.
I love the huge wing though but I know it's not to everyone's taste which is why they made the sportline I believe.

I do not need to be reminded. My arse has been handed to me on a plate more than once on the street (I'm a slow learner obviously) and once on track - you just can't keep up. I can't comment on the facelift but the 1st generation N is a weapon too; maybe a machete? The Type R is a bloody scalpel 🙄
It's ok to get destroyed by a Type R. Honda deserve it for the great engineering. I test drove one when they first came out and it just would not move off it's line - insane grip. Even manufacters who have been in the game for decades cannot come close to the Type R. For the i30N to be what it is, Hyundai have done an excellent job thought and that's ultimately why we're all here and not on another forum.

Clemet

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2020
Norway
The Type R is a super car killer on small twisty tracks. It's insane.

The N was never designed to beat that. The N is more fun, the R is clinical.

Reactions: GazmaN

Raul_I30Nblue

Nthusiast
Mar 21, 2021
Madrid
I've tested the I30N perf manual(with all the settings at top, except for the suspension in normal mode) yesterday and I like it a lot, but also there was a few issues...

The good:

Amazing steering feel (in nowadays steerings), super confy suspension (in normal mode), very good chasis, and just the best sound at any hothatchback price (even the pops and bangs are louder than an M2) 😂.

The bad:

I found quite lag from the throttle, I know is a turbo car and I own a NA engine, but it seem's very slow at low rpm's, then above 3.500 and the turbo is full yes it flys. Interestingly enough I also drive a prefacelift I30N and to me the throttle response were much better and felt faster... (This reason could be cause the car was brandnew (25km) and of course I neither floor it to the redline...

The traccion, Im used to RWD so I always floor it without worry too much and the car stick to the ground, but in the I30N seems to bogdown and lose traccion (I know is pretty common in FWD, and with pilot 4's could be solved).

The last thing is the price, I found out quite expensive (37k € in Spain for the manual version) it's just too much, the GR yaris cost 34,4k € and with 1K more you could installed and exhaust.

To sum up: I really like the car, I think is the best fun FWD car, but really isn's as enjoying as a RWD.

Last edited:

Largoat

Nthusiast
Jul 10, 2021
England
I've tested the I30N perf manual(with all the settings at top, except for the suspension in normal mode) yesterday and I like it a lot, but also there was a few issues...

The good:

Amazing steering feel (in nowadays steerings), super confy suspension (in normal mode), very good chasis, and just the best sound at any hothatchback price (even the pops and bangs are louder than an M2) 😂.

The bad:

I found quite lag from the throttle, I know is a turbo car and I own a NA engine, but it seem's very slow at low rpm's, then above 3.500 and the turbo is full yes it flys. Interestingly enough I also drive a prefacelift I30N and to me the throttle response were much better and felt faster... (This reason could be cause the car was brandnew (25km) and of course I neither floor it to the redline...

The traccion, Im used to RWD so I always floor it without worry too much and the car stick to the ground, but in the I30N seems to bogdown and lose traccion (I know is pretty common in FWD, and with pilot 4's could be solved).

The last thing is the price, I found out quite expensive (37k € in Spain for the manual version) it's just toolmuch, the GR yaris cost 34,4k € and with 1K more you could installed and exhaust.

To sum up: I really like the car, I think is the best fun FWD car, but really isn's as enjoying as a RWD.
That's fair enough but the same will be for any FWD car, takes some getting used to managing a FWD after owning a RWD. If you're after RWD then your options are getting more and more limited. The new M240i is probably the closest you can get now for New cars I think? and it won't be cheap. Although with BMW no doubt there will be massive savings available.

For a Yaris to be worth it you need the circuit pack which bumps the price up considerably. There's no discount available either and an 18 month wait so I'm able to get an i30N FL cheaper than a GR Yaris but if a few euros doesn't bother you and you don't need the practicality then get a Yaris, I know you won't regret it.