• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning JB4 Installation

[
Check out post #1 in this thread that I've moved you to and then read on a bit. If that is not enough for you I'd say help will soon be on the way 🙂.

Whattay know a new problem arises. I swear if I don't have the worst fucking luck with everything.

Got it to work fine for about 10m. Then it wouldn't connect anymore(keep in mind I'm using the wireless bluetooth setup) all of the sudden when driving down the road it just stopped working?

I pull over...trying to connect....and nothing....
Trying trying trying and nothing for 5minutes. Uhm ok?

So I do what any rational human being would do and tried to re-install the app via uninstalling first.

Welp that opened a shit can of worms and now I'm locked out basically. Also had to re-buy the app again after a refund (don't even get me going on how ridiculous this is to charge your customers who ALREADY bought your product for $600+ just to use an app... unbelievable).

So now it's all screwed up and when I try to open app it says "unlicensed application" and that I have to re-buy it again, which I ALREADY DID. Like I said it's a mess and I'm locked out of an app I paid $30 for what?... To change maps? Un fucking real.

****UPDATE***

Welp somehow (have no idea how really) I got it working again. This was after gee idk God only knows how many refund and re-buys charged on my card now. I unplugged the OBD in the car and also disconnected the opposite end of OBD that's goes into the JB4 itself. After a few attempts doing this it decided to let me back in I guess. Idk sorry for rant, it's been a finicky process this one.

Last edited:
Just keeps getting better. Working fine but now Im hearing this annoying nasty clicking sound every single time I hit the gas. It just never ends..

**Update**

It stopped connecting again and im back to square one. Yea this module is a p.o.s. I'm sorry. For something that cost $650 to own there should be no hiccups Nothing whatsoever. More like worth $250 as cheap as this thing is sorry, but this is bs.

Last edited:
Also where is the info to let you know what each different map does? Ridiculous, I mean it's not even on their website for christ sake? In search for it and I get a couple different answers. What a thrown together product. Seriously is it that hard to include a sheet with information on said product. Holy shit

Also where is the info to let you know what each different map does? Ridiculous, I mean it's not even on their website for christ sake? In search for it and I get a couple different answers. What a thrown together product. Seriously is it that hard to include a sheet with information on said product. Holy shit

That second link that R Veloster N has posted above has all the details and there's even a link to it right on Burger's product page. 😒 Burger Tuning is also very active on that thread.

Placement of both your phone and the JB4 can affect the connection quality between the two devices. Where are you placing the JB4 in the engine bay? Many folks wedge it between the airbox and battery but I had a lot of issues with failing to connect or dropping when placed there. I've had much better connectivity by velcroing the jb4 to the top of fuse box inside the engine bay.

Also sometimes bluetooth in general just gets stupid, and resetting just your phone won't always fix it. The quickest way to reset the JB4 is to turn off your car, unplug the connector from the ODB2 port, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect the plug.

Last edited:

Ty for your help.

That second link that R Veloster N has posted above has all the details and there's even a link to it right on Burger's product page. 😒 Burger Tuning is also very active on that thread.

Placement of both your phone and the JB4 can affect the connection quality between the two devices. Where are you placing the JB4 in the engine bay? Many folks wedge it between the airbox and battery but I had a lot of issues with failing to connect or dropping when placed there. I've had much better connectivity by velcroing the jb4 to the top of fuse box inside the engine bay.

Also sometimes bluetooth in general just gets stupid, and resetting just your phone won't always fix it. The quickest way to reset the JB4 is to turn off your car, unplug the connector from the ODB2 port, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect the plug.

I understand there are "Links" on forums and burgers page itself. However I feel a simple text stating at-the-least what each map does, would be alot easier to understand on the website. Explaining what your getting from said product and how it works, is that so hard to do? Idk posting all the info on a forum and not the actual product page just isnt very intuitive.

Not a single piece of paper came with my order, lol. For $650+ it would be nice to have something you can read immediately and explain everything(maps and what each does is a big one), this should be a given. I guess not.

Thank you for helping with the placement i too placed it in between the battery/airbox(only for a quick ride) and quickly realized its not really the best area for it. The JB4 got noticeably hot in that spot on just a short run. I have it in a different spot now and its been working fine so far.

Have a quick question for you and anyone who reads this that has a JB4. What map are you running? Besides going a custom route im really enjoying Map3 the most. Now my question is since my only upgrade being m45xl spark plugs is Map3 not good to run right now even though im really enjoying it? I notice it says Map3 should be used with "high quality fuel". Im only using 93 atm. I dont feel like the car is being abused or even running to high of IATs whhile running it, afr's look good(can always adjust this) its doing quite fine actually. So im curious if others are doing the same.

Couple pics just for eye candy |Srt-4 is an '05 w/only 70k miles and super clean(very rare to find), Diablo Tuned w/ full bolt-ons(3" Straight Piped, all way to turbo-including 02 housing), upgraded all motor mounts, front sway bar, and all bushings replaced = suspension, shifter linkage and base. No big turbo in the future even though i considered it. Im just looking to have her last a long time considering the great condition she's in. Really am Having a hard time justifying keeping her bc she mostly sits around now. Having owned, 2 gtis, mazdaspeed3, wrx, and my last car a fiesta st, the Srt4 is so much more raw and fun. It is my 2nd one(first one bought brand new off showroom floor when i was 21, i love srt4s) and i know hard it would be to find another one in this good of a condition(almost impossible). No carbon buildup worries either :p

2.jpg

Resized_20190508_194518.jpeg

Last edited:
Ty for your help.

I understand there are "Links" on forums and burgers page itself. However I feel a simple text stating at-the-least what each map does, would be alot easier to understand on the website. Explaining what your getting from said product and how it works, is that so hard to do? Idk posting all the info on a forum and not the actual product page just isnt very intuitive.

Not a single piece of paper came with my order, lol. For $650+ it would be nice to have something you can read immediately and explain everything(maps and what each does is a big one), this should be a given. I guess not.

Thank you for helping with the placement i too placed it in between the battery/airbox(only for a quick ride) and quickly realized its not really the best area for it. The JB4 got noticeably hot in that spot on just a short run. I have it in a different spot now and its been working fine so far.

Have a quick question for you and anyone who reads this that has a JB4. What map are you running? Besides going a custom route im really enjoying Map3 the most. Now my question is since my only upgrade being m45xl spark plugs is Map3 not good to run right now even though im really enjoying it? I notice it says Map3 should be used with "high quality fuel". Im only using 93 atm. I dont feel like the car is being abused or even running to high of IATs whhile running it, afr's look good(can always adjust this) its doing quite fine actually. So im curious if others are doing the same.

I purchased my JB4 used and have been running it for nine months now and think it is a quality product with good support from them (especially since I was not the original owner) if you ask for it. When I first installed the unit I had connection issues as well. I messaged the customer service department and they put me in touch with the group that works exclusively with the blue tooth connection unit. After some conversation and photos they determined that it was the position of the blue tooth module that was my issue. I moved it up to the cowl area (see my photo) and problem solved. I have posted logs from my car on their forum and each time have gotten responses within the same day. They seem to be happy to review logs and provide feedback.
As for the maps. Map 1 and 2 are okay with HKS plugs and 93 octane. My understanding is that Map 3 should only be run if you are using E30 mix. I did this for the last month or two of summer and it is a nice improvement over Map 2, even if gassing up takes a few minutes longer.

Attachments

• IMG_20130426_165610_788a.jpg
    IMG_20130426_165610_788a.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200910-163607.png
    Screenshot_20200910-163607.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: R Veloster N

I run a a custom map, but I'm also a base.. The stock tune on base holds less boost above 4500 rpms so I have to make up for it by running a custom map6. My general approach is to maintain around 20 PSI as closely as i can through the power range. Both base and PP fall off above 5500 rpms as the turbo just can't hold 20 PSI to redline. This is for 93 fuel.

I'm not sure what boost in the mid-rpm range map3 gives you, but I'd be cautious if it's a lot more than 20 PSI with 93.

AFRs and IATS are important to keep an eye on, but it's also important to check your timing advance on all four cylinders. You'll need to datalog and then export the raw data into Excel to see it properly. All 4 cylinders should be showing the same pattern of timing advance, and there should be no timing drops occurring as rpm climbs. It might not be a bad idea to do a datalog of map0 so you can see what normal timing advance looks like, and then compare that to your map3. if you're seeing sharp drops of 3 degrees or more that's indicative of knock. Try doing multiple back to back runs to get engine hot and get IATs up as well, to see if knock appears.

As mentioned by Rem234, it's also not a bad idea to datalog some pulls and post them to the forum thread referenced above. Preferrably, log after you've done a few back to back pulls to get the everything good and hot.

Reactions: Rem234
@Rem234 thank you for your help. They don't seem like a bad company to me either just that their product info is a little wonky. Glad to hear they are involved and help with reading logs. My question to you is about the e30. Is this something I can just add to the my 93, like it says 30%. Or do I need a custom tune? I do have the mx45 injectors keep in mind. Maybe ill go the add octane booster route. Doesn't say how much though.

@biggeley Yes timing is key, I planned on doing this and soon was about to see how it's done with our jb4's. Great to know that it needs excel, thanks to you I can get right to it. Map3 peak boost is 22psi. Guess that's why they recommend using octane booster or e30 blend with map3, so it can run correctly without knock. I'm a bit of an oddball though as I do like to floor it often, rarely do I take her to redline though if ever, I usually shift round 5000-5500 Max when flooring it.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
@Rem234 thank you for your help. They don't seem like a bad company to me either just that their product info is a little wonky. Glad to hear they are involved and help with reading logs. My question to you is about the e30. Is this something I can just add to the my 93, like it says 30%. Or do I need a custom tune? I do have the mx45 injectors keep in mind. Maybe ill go the add octane booster route. Doesn't say how much though.

@biggeley Yes timing is key, I planned on doing this and soon was about to see how it's done with our jb4's. Great to know that it needs excel, thanks to you I can get right to it. Map3 peak boost is 22psi. Guess that's why they recommend using octane booster or e30 blend with map3, so it can run correctly without knock. I'm a bit of an oddball though as I do like to floor it often, rarely do I take her to redline though if ever, I usually shift round 5000-5500 Max when flooring it.

Thanks guys
To run Map 3 you need e-30 (30% ethanol). In order to safely handle the higher boost level of Map 3 without knocking you need the higher octane rating of the e30 ( or race gas).
To get the e30 mix you put X number of gallons of 93 in your tank and then add X number of gallons of E85 (the yellow handle at the pump). Here is the chart I used that someone gave me. Makes it pretty simple.

Unfortunately to go beyond this to Map 4, we need to replace the fuel pump because the factory pump can't handle any higher percentage content of ethanol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_151744.jpg
    IMG_20200910_151744.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20201007_192201248a.jpg
    PXL_20201007_192201248a.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Thanks guys

That's my general driving style too.. I don't rev it out often but I do enjoy the turbo-kick and mid-range power..

I agree the JB4 is rather "DIY" and it certainly takes some digging to get the information you need. Most of what I learned about the JB4 is from that thread on n54tech referenced above. It's a bit of reading but there's a ton of information in the 100+ pages of posts.. Some of it I've had to learn through trial and error as well.

I've never played much with boost beyond 20 PSI but I'm definitely curious if you'd be able to push a little bit more than 20 PSI at least in the mid-range RPMs without knock. Perhaps you'll only find some knock in the upper RPMs. In that case you could copy the boost targets from map3 (it's in the data logs as the TARGET field) into map6 and then lower the boost targets at RPMs where knock occurs.

Oh, this is super-helpful too. It explains a fair amount about the different logging params. Some of it is not be relevant to our platform but the params you would care about are pretty well documented here.

Last edited:
@Rem234 ok I'm slow and can't understand that chart. I really tried. We have 13gal. Tank right? How much e30 you put in on empty then when filling up

@biggeley thanks that custom map suggestion is a great idea! I'm def gonna do this, and will be going over that logging link. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm going to warn you about utilizing anything beyond 15 % pump ethanol. The engine seals and internal parts are not designed to utilize anything more than 15% ethanol. Irreparable engine damage will occur with regular use of E85/80. If found to have utilized anything beyond 15% pump ethanol, the OEM warranty will immediately forfeit

Alcohol content to gasoline ratio, can be easily check and determined with a hydrometer and graduated cylinder.
They'll do this, if they have a suspicion anything beyond 15% fuel is utilized. There are also tell tale signs on engine parts that will also identify greater ethanol or methanol usage .

Last edited:
I'm going to warn you about utilizing anything beyond 15 % pump ethanol. The engine seals and internal parts are not designed to utilize anything more than 15% ethanol. Irreparable engine damage will occur with regular use of E85/80. If found to have utilized anything beyond 15% pump ethanol, the OEM warranty will immediately forfeit

Alcohol content to gasoline ratio, can be easily check and determined with a hydrometer and graduated cylinder.
They'll do this, if they have a suspicion anything beyond 15% fuel is utilized. There are also tell tale signs on engine parts that will also identify greater ethanol or methanol usage .

Oh wow. Yea Im not gonna mess with e30 then. I assume using octane booster would be fine then, so I can still run Map3? Thank you for your help on the matter. Really appreciate the warning.

Reactions: R Veloster N