• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
As there is no box, wouldn't this be illegal?
EDIT: Forgot this wasn't in the Australian section. In ACT we need to have the box on. :'(
This is in QLD, the laws are a funny one. You can have it like this only if its secured properly and doesn't increase sound drastically..
 
This is in QLD, the laws are a funny one. You can have it like this only if its secured properly and doesn't increase sound drastically..
Would you happen to know what would happen if I was pulled over and told to pop the bonnet? Like? How much would it cost me and do I need to go to the pits ect.? If not, who would I ask about it? Completely new to this area of mods.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mingy
I think you would be really unlucky to be done for an exposed pod filter...i have friends with CF bonnets(rx7 & turbo 86) that stand out real badly but they have yet to be pulled up on it here in Syd and their cars are louder(looks & sound wise) than ours (our cars pop and crackle better though :cool:)
 
Last edited:
Personally I prefer non-oiled filters. As far as heat soak for open element intakes, if certain engine bay heat reduction methods are used, intake heat soak is much less of an issue, particularly at speed.

An associate of mine painstakingly modified the factory VT airbox by enlarging the outlet and used a much larger hard tube from airbox to the pre-turbo “J-pipe” and it increased flow enough to match the open element intakes commonly available.

I suspect that modifying the i30 N airbox in a similar fashion will yield similar results until someone designs a proper fully-partitioned airbox with a proper “ram-air” airbox inlet. TarmoT already has had one 3D-printed and it looks decent (could see things to improve about it).
 
Last edited:
Moving sound sounds alright to me. Bearing in mind this cars sound in general doesn’t doesn’t translate 100% accurately in videos in my opinion.

If any filter does a better job at increasing airflow then its worth my consideration.

I don’t think this K & N one is for sale yet btw.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gazza and I30NMitch
Have you ever tried to listen to your car with open airbox? I think he don't fit the airbox cover. I don't know if there's a huge difference to stock without it?
 
I had one fitted on my previous car and it made that nasty horrible sound...safe to say it quickly came back off.