• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

What did you do to your N today ?

Oh yea, I also did a few things to my N recently in preparation of the last track day I went to on Monday. 19-row thermostatic oil cooler install with custom brackets I made by hand, and Defi BF gauge install (oil pressure and oil temp). Not bad for $180 shipped to my door from eBay :p. Worked as advertised, thermostat opens up at 80*C, and it dropped my oil temps on the track by 15C

What were the oil temps?
 
Ordered the Boomba lower engine mount in black today. And installed jb4 the other day w/ NGK plugs. So far loving the tune it really wakes the car up ! Haven’t went past map one as of yet do to the weather being abnormally wet here. But will be testing some of the other maps this weekend if all goes well.
 
Ordered the Boomba lower engine mount in black today. And installed jb4 the other day w/ NGK plugs. So far loving the tune it really wakes the car up ! Haven’t went past map one as of yet do to the weather being abnormally wet here. But will be testing some of the other maps this weekend if all goes well.

If you're using 93+ you should be fine up to map 3 with the NGK plugs gapped to 0.022". It's a big difference from even map 1 :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS
If you're using 93+ you should be fine up to map 3 with the NGK plugs gapped to 0.022". It's a big difference from even map 1 :)
Only used 93 in her since the day I got her ! And I have them gapped to .024 as per cyngus as of right now. I may have to close the gap a bit and give map3 a shot ;). I’m also still working on trying to get the module updated. But jb4s tech support has been pretty much useless
 
Just go to mode6 now and use the other lower modes to guide you for how much boost is being added. Start out somewhere between mode1 & mode2 and ramp it up after each pull until you like it. Then log and reiterate.

Email BMS Terry directly. Post on their forum.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1FastStagea
Just go to mode6 now and use the other lower modes to guide you for how much boost is being added. Start out somewhere between mode1 & mode2 and ramp it up after each pull until you like it. Then log and reiterate.

Email BMS Terry directly. Post on their forum.
I planned on playing with the custom maps once I can get the damn thing updated. And should I close the gap when I’m adding more boost ? Or keep it at .024 and just keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.
 
You can leave it for now. Just watch timing in the logs. If it drops off like a waterfall during a WOT pull, then close the gap to .023”. You should be fine to go to 18 PSI easily just on E10 93.
 
What % mix? Start point and max. point?
Haven't had much time to play with it yet. Started with 50/50 mix, 5psi start and 15psi max. Honestly, I can tell it's rich with those settings and the stock tune, and if anything feels like it's down a little on power. Might try running just water for now, hopefully provide some cooling without affecting the AFR's too much.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cygnus X-1
You can leave it for now. Just watch timing in the logs. If it drops off like a waterfall during a WOT pull, then close the gap to .023”. You should be fine to go to 18 PSI easily just on E10 93.
Perfect, thank you. I’m already seeing 17-17.8 psi on map one with no issues
 
I was able to pick my car up from the shop. 6997 miles and the engine let go. No compression in 4 cylinders and bent exhaust valves. Dealer was great but slow. Hyundai made them break it down slow and take a lot of picks. Finally Hyundai said send us the motor we have one being sent to you. I will post up receipt when I have some time but dropped it off to add a sub and amp in the back for my son. Today is his birthday and factory base wasn’t cutting it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Davo01
I was able to pick my car up from the shop. 6997 miles and the engine let go. No compression in 4 cylinders and bent exhaust valves. Dealer was great but slow. Hyundai made them break it down slow and take a lot of picks. Finally Hyundai said send us the motor we have one being sent to you. I will post up receipt when I have some time but dropped it off to add a sub and amp in the back for my son. Today is his birthday and factory base wasn’t cutting it.
Any mods ?
 
I was able to pick my car up from the shop. 6997 miles and the engine let go. No compression in 4 cylinders and bent exhaust valves. Dealer was great but slow. Hyundai made them break it down slow and take a lot of picks. Finally Hyundai said send us the motor we have one being sent to you. I will post up receipt when I have some time but dropped it off to add a sub and amp in the back for my son. Today is his birthday and factory base wasn’t cutting it.

Ok, so this is the first reported VN engine failure I’ve seen. Please do us a favor and create a new thread, documenting:
  • Exact oil used (brand & grade)
  • Oil change interval
  • Fuel used (brand and octane)
  • Driving conditions/behavior immediately before failure (gear, RPM, amount of throttle)
  • Weather at the time of failure (hot, rainy, humid, etc.)
  • Time of day when failure occurred
  • Root cause report from Hyundai
  • Modifications done
 
Last edited:
Ok, so this is the first reported VN engine failure I’ve seen. Please do us a favor and create a new thread, documenting:
  • Exact oil used (brand & grade)
  • Oil change interval
  • Fuel used (brand and octane)
  • Driving conditions/behavior immediately before failure (gear, RPM, amount of throttle)
  • Weather at the time of failure (hot, rainy, humid, etc.)
  • Time of day when failure occurred
  • Root cause report from Hyundai
  • Modifications done (especially.)
Please provide this; ^ it's important to everyone here with a VN. It will be the difference between an isolated problem and a common one.:)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cygnus X-1
I already have an idea as to root cause, but since he dumped & bailed we may never know.
 
Bent valves, usually mean suddenly over-revved past the limiter, same as on motorcycles by; Missing a gear and the tach buries itself to fast for the limiter to kick in. Shifted into a lower gear by mistake, at too fast a speed and RPM. Rev limiter won't be able overcome the inertia.

Like to know but that's a couple of ways to do it, on a low mileage motor. There are others to be sure but these being the two quickest ways.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Cygnus X-1
The motor went when driving home from my parents house. I was 4 miles into the drive when the motor let go. I was believe it or not coasting towards a red light and not even in gear. The motor made no noise and just idled do to 0 and stalled. Coasted to grass of the right and said what the blank. I tried to start it and it wouldnt start but was turning over smoothly. I gave it gas as I pushed the button to start and it started but sounded like no compression. It would stay running as long as you gave it gas.
The oiled had been changed 3 times since new. Once at 1200 miles because i had to go back to dealer that was 201 miles away from the house to get paint ceramic coated. It was part of the deal and a free oil change was included. The had to go get the oil as they didnt stock it. I will need to look up the name. Second oil change at 3000 was at local dealer. Same oil used.
Third oil change was Pennzoil synthetic.

Always used 93 octane. Either Mobil or Shell. It depends on location when needing fuel. They did send out fuel to be checked.

I will post up receipt and answer anyother questions when I get home.

I look and wasnt able to find another motor theet fo on the forums.

Car was driven in short to normal distance and most of the time just doing the speed limit. Some spirited drive has taken place but nothing crazy.

Past car are 2006 GTO. Built supras and a list of others. Definitely wasnt abused.
 
All four cylinders having bent exhaust valves is usually a big red warning flag that the engine was overrevved. When engines let go from manufacturer defects, it is typically only one cylinder and rarely all four; even more rare to see all four exhaust valves fail at low RPM as claimed.