• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

My i20N

Hi,
regarding your engine tuning stage, I guess you do not run the 0w-20 oil spec anymore.
If you do use 0w-30, 5w-30 or even thicker, did you ever experienced any noticable differences in terms of engine behaviour/smoothness or even DTC/error code regarding camshaft Phaser timing speed due to the thicker oil?
Thank you
Sorry for the slow response but I’ve been distracted by non-car issues. I still use the recommended 0W-20 though it has been dealership serviced so who knows what they have put in it. What I can confirm is that I have not noticed any engine running issues and I have had no error codes. But to complicate matters the engine mounts are now so stiff that every vibration from the engine is clearly felt and you can feel as the engine warms up and becomes smoother. How much this has to do with the oil is impossible to separate from the engine mounting (The lower engine mount is the Airtec billet* one and the other two are Powerflex Black).

* I strongly recommend the Airtec (or the Whiteline which is very similar) as it’s appreciably better at maintaining grip than even the Powerflex Black. The negative, if you view it as such, is significantly increased transmitted vibration.
 
Interesting, I would not use a 0w20 with the tune from a technical perspective.
Also from the warranty side as you do get problems with warranty anyway with the tuning
 
I’m not sure what point your are making regarding the warranty but obviously I’m aware of warranty issues regarding tuned cars. As for your statement regarding the oil used - why would you not use the grade recommended - just stating you wouldn’t do it isn’t much use?
 
  • Like
Reactions: det09