• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

Can someone explain why this seems to still be an issue for some, despite a car now being a full 2 YEARS into a production?

Nope, nobody can.

Its a perfectly legitimate question tbf, and for what its worth - if i was looking at buying an i30N I too would be concerned with the geabox and noisy steering issues as they seem to actually be coming out the factory this way. Early cars seem hardly effected. (Mine being one of them and I'm throughly enjoying owning it).

Off topic:
Mate, this is an international forum and don't expect people to really appreciate or fully understand all your posts. We can all see you've got your teeth into a few threads now and won't let go. You didn't buy an N, we get it but you don't need to comment on every "issue" thread to try and rub others noses in it.
Personally I'm not bothered and can be a bit of a wind-up merchant myself and if this was a .co.uk based forum I think people would have a wry smile and indulge you a bit more. After all, "its only a Hyundai" ;) (Something I'm more than happy to tell others about my car).

Hi again,
I respect the forum members and the excellent advice, suggestions and analytical content within.

Remember, considering the alleged poor service thread, and your suggestion that things could have done 'on purpose', 'professionals' may not always provide the answers we seek.
Fair point, but isn't them the ones to seek if we have problems even if they were causing the problems in the first place?
Unless there is a Hyundai professional here, we are only "enthusiasts" therefore our opinion is just "an opinion" not "an explanation". You need to address your questions to your dealer or Hyundai itself.

Is this a recall issue and what age of cars???? Mine is harder to get into 6th especially when cold but never refuses to go into gear. Not yet anyway touch wood. 7000 miles on the clock.

Is this a recall issue and what age of cars???? Mine is harder to get into 6th especially when cold but never refuses to go into gear. Not yet anyway touch wood. 7000 miles on the clock.

Not a recall as such but it's an issue that some people refer to the dealers. It can be as simple as an adjustment to the gear linkage cables others have changed the gearbox oil at first service and that cured it or it can be a normal running in process.
That said some gearboxes are just a bit sluggish when cold and don't like to change quickly until they are nicely warmed up, Getrag 5 speed dog leg gearboxes used in many rwd rally cars and road cars just don't shift smoothly until warm. My Sunbeam Lotus always had resistance when cold but never failed to hook a gear you just learned to let it warm up before letting rip and it shifted smooth and sweet as you like.

Well mine didn’t go into 5th a could of days ago but I thought it had so when I released the clutch I got a horrible grinding noise of gears
I asked the dealer to look at the last service but of course they couldn’t replicate it so I guess I’ll have to book it in as it is getting annoying

Reactions: PhreekySicko
Hello from Greece.
I have the same issue in the 6th gear from the beginning (June of 2019) and now that I have almost 10.000km in the odometer it is the same.
I have read all the 18 pages of the topic and the conclusion is that if I go now to the dealer, they may say to me that they know nothing about! I really hate the guys! They have made me being negative even in testing my car! And espessially without my presence! From those I read, I scare with the idea of letting them the car 2 or 3 days, even if the problem has being fixed to almost everyone!
I will "suffer" it a little longer and surely before the ending of the warranty I will drive it to them.
I have changed 3 cars in my life (2 Hyundais and 1 Kia) and the issues with the company remain the same! Even in their first attempt to beat Ford, Vw in the hot hatch category!
And I really like driving the car! They have made me being mean against them!
I want a little more respect please!

Hello from Greece.
I have the same issue in the 6th gear from the beginning (June of 2019) and now that I have almost 10.000km in the odometer it is the same.
I have read all the 18 pages of the topic and the conclusion is that if I go now to the dealer, they may say to me that they know nothing about! I really hate the guys! They have made me being negative even in testing my car! And espessially without my presence! From those I read, I scare with the idea of letting them the car 2 or 3 days, even if the problem has being fixed to almost everyone!
I will "suffer" it a little longer and surely before the ending of the warranty I will drive it to them.
I have changed 3 cars in my life (2 Hyundais and 1 Kia) and the issues with the company remain the same! Even in their first attempt to beat Ford, Vw in the hot hatch category!
And I really like driving the car! They have made me being mean against them!
I want a little more respect please!
Whoa! You hate them based on what you've read in a forum?? Don't waste your hate right now - report the issue and have them take a look at it first. And do it now - don't wait four and a half years. And good luck, hope you get it sorted and that you are pleasantly surprised :).

Whoa! You hate them based on what you've read in a forum?? Don't waste your hate right now - report the issue and have them take a look at it first. And do it now - don't wait four and a half years. And good luck, hope you get it sorted and that you are pleasantly surprised :).

It's a combination of my experience with them (with the previous cars and now) and those I read of course!
But you are right, I have become too pessimist! I won't wait so long for sure, but I will be patient for a while!

It's a combination of my experience with them (with the previous cars and now) and those I read of course!
But you are right, I have become too pessimist! I won't wait so long for sure, but I will be patient for a while!
All good man, don't stress - it will be solved one way or the other. Mine came right with time and kilometres. If that don't work - dealer. Enjoy everything else about the car in the meantime. Have a good one :cool:.

Two buddies of mine also installed the forge short shifter which resulted in all gears working properly again. Only the 2nd gear needs some fine tuning as the shifting gate moved a bit.

While asking Forge about this issue, they also confirmed that each short shifter needs to be adjusted differently, as the shifter cables do not have the exact same length on every car.

On Wednesday I'm gonna visit one of my buddies who has the short shifter installed and we will measure the difference in length of the shifter cables between his car and mine - just to check how much of a tolerance there is.

Hi guys I currently own a Golf R DSG, fancied a change to manual
So thought I'd try out the i30N

Given its not the same fit and finish as the golf, I really liked the ergonomics however what an awful gearbox! Unless I tested a dud.

The clutch was fine but didn't like that the gears didn't engage smoothly.. Its like I had to force them in, losing revs in the process!! a real shame as would have shopped in the Golf R for it

Is this a common fault reported amongst other owners?

I drove a 2018 model with 6000miles has this been rectified in 2019?

Any views much appreciated

mine is absolutely like a hot knife through butter MY2019, why different cars should vary so much is a mystery, you would think either there was a fault or not, there have been other posters who have had trouble usually with 2nd and 6th and some like me who say it's a great gearbox, it's a bit of a mystery. If you had driven one like mine you would probably have bought it,

Reactions: Davo01
I may go tomorrow and try a late 2019 model see how it compares to the late 2018 model

I hope the gear changes are better than what I experienced if not il be holding out for the face-lift and monitoring to see if this issue is rectified. There is clearly an issue across the board here

But it's clearly not across the board as I don't have it, definitely worth trying another one because when it's right it's a gem of a gear change and a very nice car to drive and own.

Fair one mate, I'm going to test I e tomorrow, I shall report back, if its as good as you say it is il be shopping in the Golf R, which by all accounts is a very capable beast but lacks involvement

Reactions: pillred
I've had two DSG Golf Rs (one hatch, one estate). Loved them both. I've now got an MY20 i30N. The N is definitely more involving and a lot more fun to drive. It lacks the outright pace of the R but it more than makes up for that in all other areas IMO.

The gearbox on mine is very smooth without any notchiness at all (1st - 2nd can be a bit difficult when the gearbox is cold but I've had that on lots of other cars, too).

Reactions: Davo01