• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

Exactly what gap are you measuring please. A simple drawing would make it clearer.

Sure.

This is the stock setup. The gap of the shifter cables was measured here:
IMG-20200210-WA0006.jpg

Three different cars, three different gaps.
First, Non-OPF, 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 1.3cm.
Second, OPF, 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 1.1cm. My car.
Third, OPF, No 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 0.7cm. @WoLf130 's car.

We only measured the one shifter cable which I marked in the pic. This one is for horizontal shifter movement and the one located towards the front of the car.

This is a pic from Forge directly after they've calibrated the shifter cables. You can see the gap is close to zero now.
IMG-20200210-WA0009.jpg

We followed this approach after installing the Forge Short Shifter and it solved the 6th gear issues on all cars (although car #3 technically did not have those issues before^^)

Last edited:
Just what I wanted, thanks. I've always thought the gear selector problems were due to bad adjustment of the cables, if I had issues that would have been the first place to look.

Reactions: Bu11eT
Thanks for the info @Bu11eT would the same adjustment also work if you're having issues going from 1st to 2nd? I have that issue and just had a look at my linkage spacing you referred to and it appears to be close to 2mm if not over just by eyeballing it. Never played around with manual gearbox linakges before and not too sure how much tolerance there is before they start jumping our of gear etc. Also not too keen on taking it to Hyundai service as they wanted to replace the steering column when all it needed was the rubber boot seal against the footwell to be silicone sprayed to stop the squeak/creak...... TIA

Reactions: Bu11eT
Thanks for the info @Bu11eT would the same adjustment also work if you're having issues going from 1st to 2nd? I have that issue and just had a look at my linkage spacing you referred to and it appears to be close to 2mm if not over just by eyeballing it. Never played around with manual gearbox linakges before and not too sure how much tolerance there is before they start jumping our of gear etc. Also not too keen on taking it to Hyundai service as they wanted to replace the steering column when all it needed was the rubber boot seal against the footwell to be silicone sprayed to stop the squeak/creak...... TIA
It could be worth a shot before disassembling the whole gearbox to change the synchros :p
Keep in mind that this is the lineage adjustment after the short shifter was installed. We'll investigate further and try to fix the 6th gear issue on another N without installing the short shifter and just adjusting the linkages instead.

Also: When playing around with the gear linkages don't worry about gears not going in. Just adjust it, get in the car and feel each gear. If it doesn't work go back to the front and re adjust.

Last edited:
@Bu11eT perfect I will keep an eye out for your findings and give it a go myself in the next few weeks. Thanks for the tips, appreciate it and I'm sure other people do too while trying to avoid the dreaded service department dance. Less stressful and more satisfying when it's an easy fix you can do yourself.

Reactions: Bu11eT and GazmaN
Surely 2mm is about right?

Surely 2mm is about right?
Tell that to my 1st to 2nd shift. I want to try this before I let them look at it. When I took my car in regarding the steering creak (1st complementary service) they disregarded my silicone suggestion before steering column replacement. Don't want them ripping the gearbox out if it's not necessary.

Sure.

This is the stock setup. The gap of the shifter cables was measured here:
View attachment 11856

Three different cars, three different gaps.
First, Non-OPF, 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 1.3cm.
Second, OPF, 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 1.1cm. My car.
Third, OPF, No 6th gear issues observed. Gap was 0.7cm. @WoLf130 's car.

We only measured the one shifter cable which I marked in the pic. This one is for horizontal shifter movement and the one located towards the front of the car.

This is a pic from Forge directly after they've calibrated the shifter cables. You can see the gap is close to zero now.
View attachment 11857

We followed this approach after installing the Forge Short Shifter and it solved the 6th gear issues on all cars (although car #3 technically did not have those issues before^^)
Did you adjust the other cable at all?

There's none in the workshop manual for the VN either.
We also have the full workshop manual for the i30N an went through it multiple times looking for the correct values. Imo this is directly related to the dealerships not being able to solve the issue. No one seems to have the correct values. And as no one knows the values the dealerships can't even diagnose a fault.

We also have the full workshop manual for the i30N an went through it multiple times looking for the correct values. Imo this is directly related to the dealerships not being able to solve the issue. No one seems to have the correct values. And as no one knows the values the dealerships can't even diagnose a fault.
And taking into account your experience of 3 different cars the factory doesn't seem to know either. Only setting it gives us is to lock the gear lever into 4th gear using a pin, then move the disconnected cables to suit that location. Then remove the pin. If I had to adjust it I'd use trial and error. Takes two people but should be straightforward.

And taking into account your experience of 3 different cars the factory doesn't seem to know either. Only setting it gives us is to lock the gear lever into 4th gear using a pin, then move the disconnected cables to suit that location. Then remove the pin. If I had to adjust it I'd use trial and error. Takes two people but should be straightforward.
issue is, that the 6th gear issue cannot be replicated consistently. E.g. it makes a difference if the car is warmed up (I reckon the cables lengthen if the car gets warmer) or cold. Also driving the car and shifting is a different story to shifting when stationary. Also, we haven't yet figured out how big the impact is when you shorten the cable length by lets say 0.5cm. But we'll gonna try a bit around and I'll report back. We have plenty of candidates in our N group who have the 6th gear issue - so plenty of test subjects ;)

Last edited:
Do those ridged collars just turn to adjust? Just had a look at Mine, probably need to remove battery to get to it properly. Tried to adjust but seems really stiff and didnt want to break anything.

Do those ridged collars just turn to adjust? Just had a look at Mine, probably need to remove battery to get to it properly. Tried to adjust but seems really stiff and didnt want to break anything.
Look at my post #393, these's a pdf that explains how to adjust the collars.

Reactions: Rival Son