• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

You will never believe what happened seemingly my dash cam has picked up an incident while they were parking the cars up at night seemingly the driver parking my car up shunted it into another Hyundai car that was parked and set it hazards lights off on that car, now looking at my car there is a mark on the front of the bumper it is very slight but it is more like a stone chip that was not on the car when I dropped it off this has totally annoyed me what course of action can I take as if I shunted a car in the street and drove off and set the hazard warning lights and it was witnessed that would be classed as a hit and run.

I am really upset that these idiots so called mechanics can treat customers cars like that and get away with it funnily enough the guy who took my car for a test drive pulled the power and video leads out of the dash camera so that was not recorded.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Take a closer look at headlights now if they get foggy. The headlights have special mountings which keep the front bumper in place and they are easy to break as they are plastic. If they are broken, headlights are to be replaced and it costs an arm and leg (ca. 1500 EUR each)

Take a closer look at headlights now if they get foggy. The headlights have special mountings which keep the front bumper in place and they are easy to break as they are plastic. If they are broken, headlights are to be replaced and it costs an arm and leg (ca. 1500 EUR each)
Ahh not to worry on that front as my headlights go foggy all the time then when the temperature equalises with the inside of the light housing they clear up been happening with my car over the two years I have owned it funny the headlights were really foggy this morning @ 5am now they are crystal clear @ 5pm totally normal, every car I have owned all the front head lights have fogged up @ some point so worry not, it is a normal occurrence not unless you have a piece of paper stating such a defect then produce it here as evidence.

I've got this issue with 6th gear. Happened more when the car was new and has become less frequent as time has gone on. Mentioned it to the dealer at first service and they've booked the car back in to pull the gearbox and inspect it. Car is a '19 plate (built March) and is currently on 10k miles.

Mine is currently silky smooth and nice and positive. Such a great transmission - just as described in all the reviews I have read of the N leading up to purchase. Mates have commented upon it too.
And mine, reading all these doom and gloom reports makes me wonder whether we are the exception rather than the rule.

And mine, reading all these doom and gloom reports makes me wonder whether we are the exception rather than the rule.

No - this is the place one finds oneself when googling for issues on this car. Ditto FB groups...it concentrates the reports many many many fold.

Reactions: pillred
Hey all,

Does anyone have any issues getting the car into 6th gear?

Mine doesn't seem to flow into 6th as it does the rest of the gear - particularly while driving in ECO.

Dave

Hello,

My car had this issue and it was quickly resolved by Hyundai. They have release a modified gear synchro which needs to be installed. Drove like perfect after it was installed. I hope this helped.

Reactions: Chopley
Dealer took my gearbox apart last week. Replaced synchro's on 5th and 6th.

6th feels mostly better. Every now and then changing into 6th is notchy but mostly feels like the other gears now.

For reference, dealer had the car for 3 days (dropped off Monday, collected Wednesday) although it was booked in for the full week.

Hello,

My car had this issue and it was quickly resolved by Hyundai. They have release a modified gear synchro which needs to be installed. Drove like perfect after it was installed. I hope this helped.
Yes true that is what I heard better synchro ring seemingly it is made of a better material also my car goes up next week for the fix. Now the bloody petrol door is broken but they will fix that also when in for the synchro gear box work will be interesting to see if this fixes the problem.

So are we any closer to Hyundai accepting that some i30Ns have this problem and they'll just do the fix for you, or do you still have to 'prove' that your car is affected?

Like I've said previously, my car can go for days without the problem occurring, so it's potentially going to be hard to demonstrate, but every time it refuses to go into 6th I gnash my teeth a bit.

Reactions: stig_3754
I didn't have to demonstrate the problem to my dealer thankfully. Only thing I said to the dealer was that it occasionally won't go into 6th. Didn't mention knowing it's a common issue or anything else at all. Didn't want to come across like I knew better so left them to diagnose it!

They phoned me at 2pm to tell me the minor service it was in for had been done and they'd need the car back again to pull the gearbox. Didn't have to fight at all!

My problem was direct switching from 4th to 6th. From to time doesn't work correctly. But problem was to told the garage the problem. Now they change the 6th next week.

I got may car back today after having the synchro rings replaced for 5th & 6th gear and thankfully my 5th and 6th gears are now as smooth as butter no more 5th or 6th gear sticking any more. Also got a bonus software update, result.

Reactions: pentaq
Still waiting for mine to be done, dropped it off at the dealer on Tuesday so hopefully early next week...

If you drop it off on Tuesday like I did you will get it back either Thursday or Friday suppose I told them to keep it until Friday to be fair did not want them rushing the job wanted it done right.

I cannot believe the difference changing into 6th gear no more struggling with bloody 6th any more it does make it a joy to drive not having to worry is 6th gear engaged or half in out.

You will be glad you got the job done once you get the car back, do keep me updated when you get the car back as to what you think yourself. I give it a big thumbs up. Especially when done under warranty. Imagine the cost if this was done out of warranty.

If you drop it off on Tuesday like I did you will get it back either Thursday or Friday suppose I told them to keep it until Friday to be fair did not want them rushing the job wanted it done right.

I cannot believe the difference changing into 6th gear no more struggling with bloody 6th any more it does make it a joy to drive not having to worry is 6th gear engaged or half in out.

You will be glad you got the job done once you get the car back, do keep me updated when you get the car back as to what you think yourself. I give it a big thumbs up. Especially when done under warranty. Imagine the cost if this was done out of warranty.

I presume you mean next Friday? Because it's Friday today and I definitely did not get it back haha. They said it will take at least a week if not more, since it's in for a few things.

I presume you mean next Friday? Because it's Friday today and I definitely did not get it back haha. They said it will take at least a week if not more, since it's in for a few things.

Sorry my friend yes, I meant next Friday when you finally get the car back.

I also got a map update, new headlight, rubber grommet fitted to door and a new petrol lid or door as my petrol cap door became dislodged and was hanging off, along with a few other niggles. All done now so I’m a happy punter.

Reactions: iiNNEX
Hi All, I have also had the same issue with 6th gear, on occasion. The worst was a 2hr trip down to Norfolk where it wouldnt go into gear approx 17 times, strangely a couple of days later on my return it went in every time. The car had been in to the garage after approx 700miles with this issue and nothing was done other than a test drive , but this time with over 3000 miles and the ongoing problem it went in i mentioned the recall on this forum and had a replacement syncro ring. So far the gearbox has behaved itself and Ive had no problems. The car was booked in for 3 days but the work was done in 2.