• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Idk maybe i'll have to :confused: just have a bad feeling i might fuck something up...
Just follow the guide in the how to section, have the correct tools and don't rush it. I've documented everything you will need in the guide, get all of these first before you start. We're always here to help if you have any questions.
It will be easier if you remove the gear knob first.
I managed to do mine by kneeling on the front seats with one knee on each seat, grab hold of the knob and straighten your knees, the knob will come free, takes a fair bit of effort.

Trailerhead04

Oct 5, 2020
Romania
Idk maybe i'll have to :confused: just have a bad feeling i might fuck something up...
No way you'll do worse than the Hyundai techs. Or the midday drinkers at the Nošovice plant. I've owned 8 cars from 6 different brands and not one was put together at such low standards of tolerance from new. Put together is an overstatement, more like thrown together from across the hall

m0LN4rius

Nthusiast
Jan 9, 2021
Germany
Because I had two unpleasant experiences with warranty claims before, I decided I will not fiddle myself with the gearbox or cables, because of this same reason. I have three dealerships in a 100km radius (east to west) and it is owned by the same Boss I had problems with. If they find out I fiddle with something, I have no chance.
I called one other dealer 80km to the North and they said, they do not have skilled people to repair a performance car. They are an authorised Hyundai dealer, but mostly sell only common vehicles and other brand. They never had anything to do with a i30N and thats why they declined my request.

My third option is to drive to a different dealer in Münich area, but it is very time demanding, because it is very far. I would need to drive for more than one hour, need a replacement car for at least one or two days. So the whole sh*t, sory that I use this, will even cost me a lot of gas money, to _maybe_ fix something.

I will not name the above dealer, but my coworker had also a lot of issues, with them before me, starting with using wrong Oil and telling him, this is normal gearbox behaviour, he will just have to live with it.

The biggest shock I received was from a Mechanic working at a dealer, where they replaced (so was I told, later on I confirmed it was only polished) my faulty carbon hood. He said arogantly to me: "I should not expect german quality form a budget boys car"

I mean it is a great car for the pops and bangs, but at the end of the day thats it. The 5 Years warranty is nothing special if I have no competent service people in my Region. I lease this car and I decided I will not invest any money in it and just return it after the lease is over. There are design flaws I just can not ignore.

PS: Also I have no clue how to remove the Project C gear knob, as far as I am told it is in one piece, but as I said, because of the incompetence of the dealers around me I will not thinker with mechanical parts on the car, as much bad luck I have, it might happen something worse in the future.
Sorry for my Rant post, but when I drive the car there are days when I just feel it is an overhyped beta test car.

iiNNEX

Nthusiast
Sep 5, 2019
Surrey, UK
Because I had two unpleasant experiences with warranty claims before, I decided I will not fiddle myself with the gearbox or cables, because of this same reason. I have three dealerships in a 100km radius (east to west) and it is owned by the same Boss I had problems with. If they find out I fiddle with something, I have no chance.
I called one other dealer 80km to the North and they said, they do not have skilled people to repair a performance car. They are an authorised Hyundai dealer, but mostly sell only common vehicles and other brand. They never had anything to do with a i30N and thats why they declined my request.

My third option is to drive to a different dealer in Münich area, but it is very time demanding, because it is very far. I would need to drive for more than one hour, need a replacement car for at least one or two days. So the whole sh*t, sory that I use this, will even cost me a lot of gas money, to _maybe_ fix something.

I will not name the above dealer, but my coworker had also a lot of issues, with them before me, starting with using wrong Oil and telling him, this is normal gearbox behaviour, he will just have to live with it.

The biggest shock I received was from a Mechanic working at a dealer, where they replaced (so was I told, later on I confirmed it was only polished) my faulty carbon hood. He said arogantly to me: "I should not expect german quality form a budget boys car"

I mean it is a great car for the pops and bangs, but at the end of the day thats it. The 5 Years warranty is nothing special if I have no competent service people in my Region. I lease this car and I decided I will not invest any money in it and just return it after the lease is over. There are design flaws I just can not ignore.

PS: Also I have no clue how to remove the Project C gear knob, as far as I am told it is in one piece, but as I said, because of the incompetence of the dealers around me I will not thinker with mechanical parts on the car, as much bad luck I have, it might happen something worse in the future.
Sorry for my Rant post, but when I drive the car there are days when I just feel it is an overhyped beta test car.
The N brand engineers make some lovely cars. Where things go downhill is during Quality Control in the assembly line and the Dealer network. The cars themselves are developed well, however it is a Russian roulette if you get a well put together one or a Friday afternoon lemon (like the 2 I had).

It's what drove me away from the brand in the end.

Trailerhead04

Oct 5, 2020
Romania

The thing is Hyundai themselves can't micromanage the behaviour of it's contractors. Is the horrible business model that's affecting everyone except maybe for some specific luxury brands. The dealerships function on very small margins, so the prices stay low for buying brand new lots.
The N brand engineers make some lovely cars. Where things go downhill is during Quality Control in the assembly line and the Dealer network. The cars themselves are developed well, however it is a Russian roulette if you get a well put together one or a Friday afternoon lemon (like the

It's what drove me away from the brand in the end.
It just shows how little transparency is valued in the company's distribution chain. All complaints and requests are met with resistance, and this is only the trickle down effect of Hyundai's own toxic culture. They spread themselves thinner than a breath strip, constantly outputting unrealistic cars that then get facelifted into oblivion. Every little issue must be double triple checked in order to get any attention, and whatever work is done at least on an European level seems to be of questionable quality. This is not how you reliably sell brand new cars. This is also not how you sell perfomance cars. The dealer support is simply not there and won't be there probably ever.

m0LN4rius

Nthusiast
Jan 9, 2021
Germany
I had high hopes, but if this does not get sorted out in 1-2 years within a recall, i will also switch back to my old brand.
I never had any problems and if I had them it was alway solved without complaining.

I am paying 40k for the i30N Project, but there are some deals out there for the GTI Clubsport and the new R for 39k in pre-order.

There is that Project C has carbon hood etc. but still 1450kg/275 whyle the R ( i fall in love now) has really good torque vectoring, the good old ea888 engine, 1476kg/320HP with factory unlock to 270km/h and watching videos after 150km/h much much faster than the i30N.
And there is still the option to put a carbon hood on the Golf. Not mentioning the interface and other things like wiper design flaw etc. on the i30N...

I was really dissapointed in the design of the wipers and sprinkles. Driving 160+ on the highway wanting to clean my window, its just crap. The sprinkle design is really bad, and the wipers even with bosch aerotwin are doing really bad.

Oh well, sometimes I wish someone told me these things before.

Attachments

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Not trying to be rude here, but in my opinion the Project C is just an overpriced special edition for an N (don't kill me Project C Owners :D ). The carbon parts do look nice but the added weight benefit can be achieved way cheaper imo.
I mean the basis is still an i30N which goes for around 5-10k less (depending on where you buy it). So there are some drawbacks which come along with a cheaper price.

Regarding the comparison with a Golf R. Obviously that car is faster and has more tuning potential, but please keep in mind the N was never built for pure speed but for driving pleasure. It always depends what you want from a car. I myself couldn't care less about top speed, but driving pleasure is key for me.

Reactions: Jajodu

Trailerhead04

Oct 5, 2020
Romania
I had high hopes, but if this does not get sorted out in 1-2 years within a recall, i will also switch back to my old brand.
I never had any problems and if I had them it was alway solved without complaining.

I am paying 40k for the i30N Project, but there are some deals out there for the GTI Clubsport and the new R for 39k in pre-order.

There is that Project C has carbon hood etc. but still 1450kg/275 whyle the R ( i fall in love now) has really good torque vectoring, the good old ea888 engine, 1476kg/320HP with factory unlock to 270km/h and watching videos after 150km/h much much faster than the i30N.
And there is still the option to put a carbon hood on the Golf. Not mentioning the interface and other things like wiper design flaw etc. on the i30N...

I was really dissapointed in the design of the wipers and sprinkles. Driving 160+ on the highway wanting to clean my window, its just crap. The sprinkle design is really bad, and the wipers even with bosch aerotwin are doing really bad.

Oh well, sometimes I wish someone told me these things before.
Yes this car is not well suited to sustained high speed driving. I get wiper whistle after 200km/h and MAJOR sunroof liftoff after 205-210km/h. It does degrade the experience further.

I'd recommend SWF if you're looking for cleaning perfomance. Aerotwins got durability on their side, but the perfomance is at best average.

m0LN4rius

Nthusiast
Jan 9, 2021
Germany
I do not get wiper whistle. I personally think the aerodynamics of the wipers and of the car are the reason. It would need 2 years more development to fix them.

I will try SFW next do you have a link to amazon?

Trailerhead04

Oct 5, 2020
Romania
I do not get wiper whistle. I personally think the aerodynamics of the wipers and of the car are the reason. It would need 2 years more development to fix them.

I will try SFW next do you have a link to amazon?
Amazon doesn't activate where I live. Try autodoc, they usually keep SWF. 650mm for driver side and 400mm for passenger side in case you needed it

MyAngusIsPeppered

Sep 22, 2020
Aussie
Hi all,

I'm trying to see if what I am experiencing is normal.

I have a Dec 2018 Fastback that is still relatively new (6000km). The gear box feels buttery smooth engaging gears 3-6. However it is quite the opposite for 1st & 2nd.

I can feel a distinct difference in the gearstick when moving it in neutral. From resting to 5,6 is smooth. Resting to 1,2 feels like it is rubbing on metal.

Engaging 1st, going from 1st to 2nd & 2nd back to 1st feels very rough and tough compared to 3-6.

I have also had 1st fail to engage a few times. Its like the synchro is stuck and I have to engage another gear again before 1st will properly engage.

Is this relatively normal in i30 n gearboxes?

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Most likely the linkage needs to be adjusted. Try here, it's a lot to read but will give you some needed solutions;
Courtesy of @Jajodu, thanks mate.

Reactions: Bu11eT

MyAngusIsPeppered

Sep 22, 2020
Aussie
Most likely the linkage needs to be adjusted. Try here, it's a lot to read but will give you some needed solutions;
Courtesy of @Jajodu, thanks mate.
Thanks R
I'm definitely not confident enough to be repairing this myself
Does it seem like people can get this fix easily through Hyundai dealers?

mikeo

Nthusiast
Jan 4, 2020
SW Scotland
Identical issue to me (IE. 1st and 2nd gear).

Though after 6k mile, selecting 1st gear is now totally fine.

1st-2nd (or 3rd-2nd) can still sometimes require an extra "tug" to get in but at other times it's totally fine (weird really). I've just decided to live with it and see if more miles sorts it out totally. Could have mentioned it at the 1st service last January... but decided the dealer might well screw it up and make it worse. Not like I have litle trust in our local Hyundai dealer (hint of sarcasm here).

PS. Other gears are absolutely fine. Though as RvN says " Most likely the linkage needs to be adjusted ". Depends if you can find a decent dealer that you can trust to do the job right.

Reactions: R Veloster N

PeterP

Nthusiast
Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Just follow the guide in the how to section, have the correct tools and don't rush it. I've documented everything you will need in the guide, get all of these first before you start. We're always here to help if you have any questions.
It will be easier if you remove the gear knob first.
I managed to do mine by kneeling on the front seats with one knee on each seat, grab hold of the knob and straighten your knees, the knob will come free, takes a fair bit of effort.
Well the car went in to the dealer, they will change syncros and gears and adjust the cables aswell they said. I even printed them your guide so they know what i mean ✌ 😂 with pictures attached, they must probably hate me right now. But i want it done by them. If the issue will appear again after this then i will do it alone. 😆

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Well the car went in to the dealer, they will change syncros and gears and adjust the cables aswell they said. I even printed them your guide so they know what i mean ✌ 😂 with pictures attached, they must probably hate me right now. But i want it done by them. If the issue will appear again after this then i will do it alone. 😆
Let's hope they do a good job.

Reactions: loboo and PeterP

PeterP

Nthusiast
Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Let's hope they do a good job.
Fingers crossed, i think the last time we had a misscommunication i said to look at the cables, so maybe they took it literally and didnt do the adjustment, hopefully this time we fix it for good🤞

• Haha
Reactions: GazmaN