• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

Bountyhunter

May 9, 2019
Sydney
I hope this helps. That's all I have on the clutch, have you adjusted the gear change cables correctly? I've done a how-to on it in the how-to thread.
That’s awesome thank you mate! I haven’t don’t the cables yet. All gears are notchy since the new clutch went and they were fine before so trying to eliminate the variables before introducing new. Focusing on making sure the bleed is correct first. That being said, we did drop the engine out during the clutch change so maybe the gear change cables when moved have stretched and need readjusting.

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
That’s awesome thank you mate! I haven’t don’t the cables yet. All gears are notchy since the new clutch went and they were fine before so trying to eliminate the variables before introducing new. Focusing on making sure the bleed is correct first. That being said, we did drop the engine out during the clutch change so maybe the gear change cables when moved have stretched and need readjusting.
What's the clutch biting point like? If it's low then bleeding is needed, if high then unlikely to need bleeding. Does pumping the clutch have any effect on the change quality?

Bountyhunter

May 9, 2019
Sydney
What's the clutch biting point like? If it's low then bleeding is needed, if high then unlikely to need bleeding. Does pumping the clutch have any effect on the change quality?
Clutch engage is low but it’s an aftermarket clutch and the bite is lower. Uses the genuine clutch slave.

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Just got word from my dealer that there is a new part number for the 5th/6th gear pinion (dunno if pinion is the right word, it's "Ritzel" in german). This new part is only listed since about two weeks ago.

My dealer already ordered the part for one of his customer's Ns, as that guy complained about the shifting into 6th. Let's see if that new part brings anything new to the table...

PaZeRa

Nthusiast
Oct 7, 2019
Poland
Tomorrow I will schedule a visit at the dealer to make them fixing it until the fix it. Please provide me any more details that you might have or more description so I would point the specific part to my dealer.

Do you have maybe a part number? Is this somethings inside a gearbox or related to linkage system between gearbox and gearknob?

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Tomorrow I will schedule a visit at the dealer to make them fixing it until the fix it. Please provide me any more details that you might have or more description so I would point the specific part to my dealer.

Do you have maybe a part number? Is this somethings inside a gearbox or related to linkage system between gearbox and gearknob?
I don't have a part number unfortunately. It's a part inside the gearbox.

petriN

Nthusiast
Jun 22, 2020
Europe
unsure yet. As far as I understood he only ordered the part. So waiting for arrival and then scheduling the repair with the customer. Can't give a definite answer. Will update you guys as soon as I have more infos.
I’m in similar position here as well. Complained about 6th gear and now I’ve been waiting for gearbox internal parts. Shop will let me know when parts arrive.

PaZeRa

Nthusiast
Oct 7, 2019
Poland
I just spoke with my service department. It's hard to get them to fix this issues (as always) :/

I got confirmation that in manual gearbox there was a change of but one part in 5th/6th gear area which was above mention pinion but precisely A SYNCHRO!

This would confirm stories I've read a year ago that some gearboxes or synchros were replaced. My servce manager is suppose to consult Hyundai importer in my country so I will keep you updated

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Got info about the new parts. These ones are new:

Part noPart name
43159-24000Sealing cap
43420-24830Gear assy - 5th speed
43290-24850Gear assy - 6th speed
43370-24710Hub & Sleeve-sync.
43394-24815Ring-synchronizer (5th)
43394-34820Ring-synchronizer (6th)

PaZeRa

Nthusiast
Oct 7, 2019
Poland
Your dealer will replace all of those?

BTW How exactly your 6th is faulty? Is gear lever being stuck in between central-right and 6th gear position (exactly where synchro begins to bite)?

Bu11eT

Staff member
Nthusiast
Jun 30, 2018
Your dealer will replace all of those?

BTW How exactly your 6th is faulty? Is gear lever being stuck in between central-right and 6th gear position (exactly where synchro begins to bite)?
those are the parts ordered for another customer's car. They will not touch mine :D
So I dunno which problems said customer has with his car, I only got the info that it's the 5th/6th gear topic again.