• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Dashboard/Windshield Noise Fix

Many thanks for the this thread!

However, I am starting to lose my mind. I have done exactly as the OP suggested and the vibration has been much improved. However, at certain outside temperatures I still get the problem albeit to a lesser extent.

I have repeated the fix using longer pieces of inner tube on the plastic tabs but the problem still persists! Any other ideas to finally get rid of the problem? I half wondered that the two plastic "prongs" (at either end of the scuttle) may be the cause of the problem and might need insulating?

Thanks again!

Had the same vibration noise originally, and did the tyre tube fix as advertised - worked.

After a period of time however an occasional vibration returned, mostly on coarse road surfaces.

Pulled the black panel off again, noticed a couple of the tyre tube sections had been compressed down by the windscreen glass during fitment, hence may not have been gripping the glass too well. Replaced those with wider sections of tube (I had a thin tyre tube, so have two pieces on top of each other).

Also had some thin door weather seal strip sitting on the shelf (sticky on one side), stuck pieces of this length wise at the bottom of the windscreen channel for the windscreen glass to effectively sit on and compress once panel is fitted. When I replaced the black panel, I also used two small bolts (with washers to cover the holes) to secure the panel in place to the frame nice and tight. Don't know if this helps, but it definitely holds the black panel secure and tight against the windscreen. Did this mainly as I dropped two of the clips in the engine bay on the first effort, and thought that the loose fixing of the black panel might allow panel to loosen over time and vibrate as it was not being held tight against the windscreen.

Have only done a couple of km's since the second effort, I think it has stopped the occasionally recurring noise but haven't hit any particularly coarse roads again, yet!

Just 12m into ownership and this noise has started. Seems dependant on temperature. Anyway, I’ve tried but the wiper arms are not coming off despite a good tug and wiggle. I guess binding on the splines.
has anyone used a wiper arm removal tool? And if so which type fits best, as the arms are very close to the plastic trim, so it looks difficult to slide the puller arms under the arms.

Just 12m into ownership and this noise has started. Seems dependant on temperature. Anyway, I’ve tried but the wiper arms are not coming off despite a good tug and wiggle. I guess binding on the splines.
has anyone used a wiper arm removal tool? And if so which type fits best, as the arms are very close to the plastic trim, so it looks difficult to slide the puller arms under the arms.
Having been there before you a few suggestions. No wiper arm tool will fit on these, I've tried already. Set the wipers to the position used for washing the car, i e. Straight up. Remove the securing nut then wiggle the arm madly whilst heaving on the lower part of the arm. It will come off.

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN
Spray some wd40 or similar all in the splines.
Walk away and have a cuppa (or beer) and try again. They will come off relatively easily with a good wiggle.

Reactions: GazmaN
Update. The Wipers are off.
towel tip was good and relevant. I found it better to park the wipers upright then lift them off the screen which takes pressure off the spindle allowing you to wiggle and pull It at a straighter angle. After that everything sort of went to plan.
19mm to23mm inner tube went on the 12 tabs nice and tight.
several of the tabs were showing signs of the cloth type tape having rubbed through.
couple of tips.
1. Place a towel inside the inner wing, I lost a clip down the gap, which I luckily retrieved by taking some clips off the corner of the under tray and fished it out.
2. don't push the little pins in the clips too hard, I pushed one right through which luckily landed on the turbo heat shield.
all went back nice and tight and pressing on the scuttle there are no rattles and squeaks. I haven’t test driven yet but I’m confident it will be better And the tap tap tap will be gone.
thanks everyone.

Reactions: GazmaN and Jajodu
I have had the rattle when I bought the car. When removing the soundaktuator I noticed some cloth type dampening already on the tabs but it didn't looked that good.

I just put some layers of tape on the tabs and the sound is gone for now. :)

Quick update.
now been out three times in the car and all is quiet. In fact I also thought I had a rattle coming from the centre console or glovebox area and that has also gone, so must have been the scuttle as well.
The difference is really noticeable, bliss.

Reactions: GazmaN and Jajodu
I'm having some issues with a rattle in the dashboard. The car is brand new and I hear a rattle in the plastic of the dashboard because when I press it stops it specially happens at rough roads. Does anyone know how to solve it?

I'm having some issues with a rattle in the dashboard. The car is brand new and I hear a rattle in the plastic of the dashboard because when I press it stops it specially happens at rough roads. Does anyone know how to solve it?
These cars but not known for having any rattles at all apart from the windscreen wiper cowl against the windscreen base.

Last edited:
Lease cars but not known for having any rattles at all apart from the windscreen wiper cowl against the windscreen base.

I thought it would be that windscreen wiper. I have just realized there is a scratch at the plastic that covers the cluster (where the rattle is, not the dashboard, sorry for the misunderstanding). I also have a squeaky sound at the drivers seat and the car only has 4 days... I will take it to the dealer for a full revision.

I thought it would be that windscreen wiper. I have just realized there is a scratch at the plastic that covers the cluster (where the rattle is, not the dashboard, sorry for the misunderstanding). I also have a squeaky sound at the drivers seat and the car only has 4 days... I will take it to the dealer for a full revision.
Did you buy it new?
If so back to the dealers straightaway.

Hi guys,
I'm dealing with some very annoying sounds coming from the dashboard/windshield area.
Can someone confirm if this is the sound and can be mitigated using the steps from the 1st page?
Thank you!

Usually the noise is a tapping sound over uneven surfaces. Yours sounds like a groaning rubbing sound, it only takes a short time to insulate the windshield cowl and you can disconnect the sound generator while you're there as well.

Reactions: iAmRuSu