• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: Dashboard/Windshield Noise Fix

A few guys on here have asked the dealer to fix it, without any result.
They don't seem to know what's causing the problem and start talking about removing the entire dashboard...
When you see how long it took Hyundai to come up with an action for the faulty ecu (that made the car undriveble) I'm afraid it's gonna take them even longer to come up with something for this as it's irritating but not crippling the car.
That, for me, was a problem. I can stand lots of things that irritate other people, but this crack was realy starting to drive me mad. It was that bad that this would force me to sell the car. It took all the fun out of driving the car. It gave me stress.
If you have the chance to fix it in 30 minutes it's a no brainer for me then. I'm again enjoying every second I drive the car!
I think you're right: Hyundai should fix this for you, but as long as they haven't got a clue to what is causing it it's a slim chance they're gonna be able to do it. It will result in leaving the car at the dealer for a day or more and collecting it with the same issue.
Maybe it would be an option to take the pieces of inner tube with you to the dealer and ask them to do it for you?
That might point Huyndai in the right direction if the dealer would communicate it to them...

My thoughts are the same as @Tom Vanlimbergen. There are some faint ratlles I can live with, all cars get those, but that crack was something else.
Likewise I didn't want to take it to a dealer for them to create more rattles rather than actaully fix the issue.

Stash-N

A few guys on here have asked the dealer to fix it, without any result.
They don't seem to know what's causing the problem and start talking about removing the entire dashboard...
When you see how long it took Hyundai to come up with an action for the faulty ecu (that made the car undriveble) I'm afraid it's gonna take them even longer to come up with something for this as it's irritating but not crippling the car.
That, for me, was a problem. I can stand lots of things that irritate other people, but this crack was realy starting to drive me mad. It was that bad that this would force me to sell the car. It took all the fun out of driving the car. It gave me stress.
If you have the chance to fix it in 30 minutes it's a no brainer for me then. I'm again enjoying every second I drive the car!
I think you're right: Hyundai should fix this for you, but as long as they haven't got a clue to what is causing it it's a slim chance they're gonna be able to do it. It will result in leaving the car at the dealer for a day or more and collecting it with the same issue.
Maybe it would be an option to take the pieces of inner tube with you to the dealer and ask them to do it for you?
That might point Huyndai in the right direction if the dealer would communicate it to them...
Unfortunately it can take some time for a manufacturer to react to issues seen in the field. :(
My first hand experience in this area has let me see how sometimes a dealer or one of the mechanics / technicians finds out how to "fix" a fault that is causing a customer some problem. This is reported back to the manufacturer via service department channels if the problem is seen as widespread.
Head office service department will then test the fix and or modify it to both put it into production and / or release as a service bulletin for the dealer network. Multiply this by the various language versions required and the reluctance of some service staff to make themselves aware or service updates / fixes. It can be a long slow process and even then you can fall between the cracks in some cases.
I see the argument for the dealer to fix this and in a perfect world they should. Noticed we don't live in a perfect world.
More power to you @Tom Vanlimbergen :)

Guys - one question about this noice. Can you compare this noise to something like tapping coins ?
I have some weird metal noise when driving on bad shape roads from front window or dashboard.

But when I see the DIY on the first side of this topic there is only plastic noise problem (remove plastic cover and add rubber pads).
Why do I have metalic noise from there ?

It's the glass causing most of the noise. The hard plastic trim is tapping glass. One way to check, is stand outside with door windows down, stick your head inside the car and at the same time press on the plastic trim at the bottom of the screen on the outside, you'll hear the noise.

Watched it yesterday, it's definitely very helpful. Thanks so much for uploading and sharing it. I'll give it a try this weekend. I'm having the same issue with the dash rattling over in the driver side near the speaker. It happens when I'm on 2nd or 3rd gear going uphill. Surprisingly it doesn't happen on hot days. Maybe the plastic is slowly melting....

I've had this issue looked at by the dealer. needless to say the fault presented itself in less then 2-3 days. tried to do the above fix today and I think my wipers have been glued. 30 minutes in and I was unable to have them removed(I did remove the screws, yes :D )....

Unfortunately this fix didn't work for me. The wipers weren't too hard to remove once you get the bolts off, it did feel like its glued but you just need to do a bit of tugging and it will come loose.

Anybody noticed about a noise from the roof map lamp? The passenger side's lamp button is always take some noise. When i push for a little time go to silence, then came back.

Anybody noticed about a noise from the roof map lamp? The passenger side's lamp button is always take some noise. When i push for a little time go to silence, then came back.
I think we will have to make do with these noises. I have another one coming from the panel that is above the speedometer. Sounds as if a film is being mushed between hands.

I had the same issue, brought it back to the dealer.

They fixed it quite easily, it is a well known issue at least here in Bulgaria. It took them 15 minutes to fix it and now its all nice and cool. Ride feels good now without any noises. The mechanic told me that the problem is that dirt also gets trapped within the windshield/dashboard and it starts rattling when there are bumps. He cleaned the dirt and also as far as i can tell from what i was seeing he put some additional isolation on the dashboard/windshield.

Cheers guys.