• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How-To: Remove wing mirror covers

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
***Warning: this is a bit of a pig of a job and no responsibility for any damage from this How-To if you break anything......blah, blah, blah etc.***

For the purpose of producing this guide I already had a damaged drivers side assembly to work with. I fully recommend you remove the whole assembly from the car to try and remove the cover/cap. Luckily a handsome hero has done a How-To for that as well..........see here: How to remove wing mirror

Tools needed.
Screwdrivers: Small flat and posi head
Trim tools (Smaller the better and as many as you can get your hands on)

Step 1 - (Remove mirror glass)
No pics for this step, sorry. But all you need to do is prise the glass carefully up and away from the housing. Use a Trim tool and if you can, get your fingers under the glass and try and spread the force as best you can. It will pop out fairly easily.
Unplug both wires and make a note of their orientation!
Set glass carefully aside.

You will be left with this:
IMG_20200404_124035008.jpg

Step 2 - Remove actuator assembly

Remove the long small posi screw from the centre of the assembly as shown below:

IMG_20200404_124038594.jpg

Spaced around the actuator base are 3 (or 4) clip positions. You just need to work on one, using a small screwdriver push the clip outwards and with your other hand 'pop' the actuator out. See below for clip position:

IMG_20200404_124055520.jpg
IMG_20200404_124132141.jpg

Unplug the actuator and set safely aside.

Step 3 - Removal of cap/cover

Now everything is out the way we are now in a position to work on the cover. After removing the glass and actuator we have access to the one clip position we need to release to get the cover off.
See pic below:

IMG_20200404_124211292_HDR.jpg

Use a trim tool and give this little fella a careful push and this will release the cover portion on the outside by the side repeater.

IMG_20200404_124250363.jpg

USING GREAT CARE! Get your trim removal tools and start to release the cover on the outside edges. Take your time and be careful.

Use as many trim tools as you can (at least 3-4), once you've released one part of the cover, stick a trim tool in there and continue around the cover.
Like so:

IMG_20200404_124344918.jpg

Eventually the cover will pop off (quite violently so watch out).

TAKE CARE! (have I mentioned that........šŸ˜„)
By this point I was getting the hump with the whole process and as it was a spare unit I went in a bit too heavy handed and broke one the clips on the cover
IMG_20200404_124454673.jpg

It has no detrimental effect and the cover goes back on with zero issues, but hey not ideal.

Here are some disassembled pics:

IMG_20200404_124435137.jpg
IMG_20200404_124501645.jpg

Assembly is the opposite of the disassembly. Getting the cover back on can take a few goes, be careful (again) and make sure everything is lined up. It takes a bit of force and 'snaps' in tightly.
Kudos to Hyundai for making a stupidly over-engineered wing mirror assembly!

THE END

Last edited:
after trying this method last night to remove my mirror caps ended up breaking the glass on the first one as its so stuck in there. anyway when doing the other side we found out that you can access the clip needed to remove the cap without removing the glass or the actuator but you just need to be at the correct angle and have the correct sort of screwdriver or tool to ping the clip.

We did how ever on both sides break that same clip as mentioned above and that was using many tools too. I can confirm this doesn't really affect the caps going back on.

Reactions: loafer-N77
after trying this method last night to remove my mirror caps ended up breaking the glass on the first one as its so stuck in there. anyway when doing the other side we found out that you can access the clip needed to remove the cap without removing the glass or the actuator but you just need to be at the correct angle and have the correct sort of screwdriver or tool to ping the clip.

We did how ever on both sides break that same clip as mentioned above and that was using many tools too. I can confirm this doesn't really affect the caps going back on.

Thanks for the feedback. Tbh removal of glass and actuator was purely for ease of access.
I thought they were so easy to remove that you may as well.......that was seriously bad luck breaking the glass!! Mine popped out easy and have done with every other of my previous cars I've tried that on.

Thanks for the feedback. Tbh removal of glass and actuator was purely for ease of access.
I thought they were so easy to remove that you may as well.......that was seriously bad luck breaking the glass!! Mine popped out easy and have done with every other of my previous cars I've tried that on.

Well i was lucky enough to find a company who supplied an aftermarket glass to OEM spec for only Ā£21.95 including next day delivery. Compared to the price Hyundai want at Ā£118.38+VAT. Ive tested it all apart from the heating part has all the connectors so should be all ok.

Reactions: loafer-N77
Well i was lucky enough to find a company who supplied an aftermarket glass to OEM spec for only Ā£21.95 including next day delivery. Compared to the price Hyundai want at Ā£118.38+VAT. Ive tested it all apart from the heating part has all the connectors so should be all ok.

Bargain.

(Hyundai UK must be on crack with some of their pricings for basic parts!!)

Does anyone remember the orientation of the connectors on the driver's side? (Right hand) I'm certain it was the red stripe wire to the outside of the car and the solid black towards the inside of the car. But 2nd guessing myself.

Thanks,

Bonics

Reactions: bonics96
Nah sorry bad explaination my bad, the connectors behind the glass for the heated mirror, I've since realised that heating elements don't require a polarity so it's a non issue

Bonics