• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Oil thread

1FastStagea

If you don't track your car or live in a very hot climate stick to 5w30. Pennzoil ultra platinum is a good, cheap and readily available 5w30. Pretty much anything from Motul or AMSoil is good too but obviously more expensive.

I'm running the 5w30 Liquimoly that I posted earlier, and even in -25°C weather I don't hear any excessive valvetrain or bottom end noise on startup.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

So any update on Hyundai's oil weight recommendations as far as the 5W-40 is concerned? Can't find 0W-30 locally here in PA and was considering 5W-30 instead. These, and the 0W-30, are all recommended for the same temp range.
I’m running 5w30 in mine w/o issue and you can always have it shipped to your house

I’m on Castrol Edge 5w-30 for my first change because that’s all the dealer had available. I’ll switch to Amsoil SS next time when I start changing it myself. Not sure if I’ll use 5w-40 in the summer or stick with 5w-30.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Page 8-8 the previous page does say 0w-30
So any update on Hyundai's oil weight recommendations as far as the 5W-40 is concerned? Can't find 0W-30 locally here in PA and was considering 5W-30 instead. These, and the 0W-30, are all recommended for the same temp range.
See post above it should be fine
0/5w30 and 5w40 are listed for a broad variation of temps

I’m on Castrol Edge 5w-30 for my first change because that’s all the dealer had available. I’ll switch to Amsoil SS next time when I start changing it myself. Not sure if I’ll use 5w-40 in the summer or stick with 5w-30.
Just wanted to stick with the factory fill weight for now. I will probably run 5W-40 in the summer since the car will see many autox and track days. Saw quite a bit of shine in the oil today when I drained it at 350 miles which was about what I expected. I would have liked to do it sooner but timing didn't work out. Installed a magnetic plug and will change oil again at 700 and 1500 just to see how it looks. Also might send a sample to Blackstone next change for curiosity's sake.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Just wanted to stick with the factory fill weight for now. I will probably run 5W-40 in the summer since the car will see many autox and track days. Saw quite a bit of shine in the oil today when I drained it at 350 miles which was about what I expected. I would have liked to do it sooner but timing didn't work out. Installed a magnetic plug and will change oil again at 700 and 1500 just to see how it looks. Also might send a sample to Blackstone next change for curiosity's sake.
I finally got around to changing mine at 900 miles and there was very lil metal shavings in it but it was blacker than the night. I did keep my filter and plan on chopping it open when I get some free time just to see what was all captured if anything