• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Kona N Announced!

I agree, it blends the quarter panel much, much better.:)
Maybe they’ll do something similiar to the limited palisades. Leave it black on the lesser models and body match the color on higher trims.Non performance package will be black and PP will be color matched 7772B03B-EEB3-473F-B462-629D6B550B6B.jpeg36077159-6FEF-4E3D-9845-1A8B13AEF3FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: R Veloster N
I don't know, if it's like most the N's it will not include the tech package and Ultimate trim package.

I think this “lack of features” is actually hurting sales (along with being manual only) instead of helping them. I guess the manufacturing costs associated with adding all of the stripped out amenities to the VN (vs. the std. V) was deemed too high and/or didn’t translate to the price target they set.

Since the SUV space likely holds different expectations from customers, I have my fingers crossed this will not hold true with the Kona N. I will probably not make a purchase if it does.

But looking at the recent press release (and associated pictures) for the new N DCT equipped VN has given me a lot of hope.

I am sure everyone on the forum already knows but it includes:
  • Upgraded lightweight seats that are heated
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Upgraded 8 inch infotainment hardware
  • JBL Sound System
  • Front Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)
  • Attention Warning (DAW)
  • Lane Following Assist (LFA)
  • Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
  • High Beam Assist (HBA)
  • Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW)
  • Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)
  • “N Grin Shift” Mode that translates to 275 hp / 278 ft-lb on the Performance Package models (with the caveat that it only lasts 20 seconds and can only be used every 3 minutes)
I am really hoping that all of this and more translates over to the Kona N. I am not sure if the HUD, Navigation or Wireless Charging will also be included on the Kona N, but again, fingers crossed.

The Veloster N press release didn’t mention ACC but it seems very odd to have LFA and not also have ACC.

If the Kona N includes all of the above, along with AWD, it may well be my next vehicle.

Won't be the same as you are reading of hoping It won't have the Ultimate package options, that include all the tech goodies. What you're looking at is the South Korean VN, not the Canadian and US versions. South Korea home market is always different. The Kona (Iron Man) was the Limited Trim, in the US.

Welcome and enjoy yourself!

Make sure you introduce yourself to the forum here;

While you're at it, peruse the forum rules here;
Be sure to utilize the search engine at the top of the page in the left hand middle for any topics or discussion you're looking for. Keeps down on duplications and the need for moderators to move duplications to thread already on-going. There is so much valid information here, the search engine is the only way to glean thru it quickly to find what you're looking for. :)

Thanks for becoming a member!!👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Bamm1
Won't be the same as you are reading of hoping It won't have the Ultimate package options, that include all the tech goodies. What you're looking at is the South Korean VN, not the Canadian and US versions. South Korea home market is always different. The Kona (Iron Man) was the Limited Trim, in the US.

Thank you for the welcome and for the insight. I am just learning about how Hyundai handles N models around the world.

I am not sure why Hyundai would even bother translating the press release for the new N DCT VN into English if the largest market English speaking countries won't be getting many of the items described in the release.

I will be paying very close attention to what gets stripped away from the US version of the N DCT VN.

So the N version of the Kona (for the US) might be based on the limited trim given that is the direction Hyundai went for the Iron Man edition.

I did a quick trim comparison and I might be able to live with a limited trim equivalent Kona N. A quick glance shows there is no HUD, FCA is missing the pedestrian component, no HBA, no 8 inch infotainment/Nav and no SCC. But a lot of the other safety tech is still present along with upgraded audio, wireless charging and heated seats.

N Grin Mode w/ 275hp/278tq, N DCT, adaptive dampers, AWD w/eLSD, active exhaust and launch control can go a long way to increasing the appeal of the limited trim.

With all that said, fingers still crossed for a Kona N closer to the Ultimate trim than not.

Reactions: R Veloster N
So the N version of the Kona (for the US) might be based on the limited trim given that is the direction Hyundai went for the Iron Man edition.
As a good indicator, yes.

Look at the South Korean 2020 Veloster N and it's available options. Then compare them with the 2020 Veloster N for the US. You'll quickly understand.

As a good indicator, yes.

Look at the South Korean 2020 Veloster N and it's available options. Then compare them with the 2020 Veloster N for the US. You'll quickly understand.

I have been reading about the Iron Man edition Kona. Thanks for the tip.

I have been looking at the Veloster N around the world. It's VERY interesting how much worse the US model is compared to pretty much everywhere else.

Korea / Middle East: heated & cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel and power driver's seat.

Canada: heated seats and steering wheel.

US: NOTHING

If the US gets a Kona N based on the SE trim Kona and the ROW has their's based on the Limited or Ultimate trim I will be moving on. Essentially down voting Hyundai USA's decisions with my wallet.

If the US model follows the Iron Man limited edition pathway and is based on the limited trim but ROW has theirs based on the Ultimate I may still be interested. Though I will still be disappointed.

So I have been researching the US version of the 2019 Ironman edition Kona and all of the information seems to point to it being based on the ultimate trim level with some additions and/or changes. For example, it has its own unique welcome animation for the HUD. A feature not found on the limited trim.

Reference: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-kona-iron-man-edition-pricing-300805474.html

So it would appear that Hyundai USA went highest trim level for the limited edition Kona but it did the opposite, going basement spec level, for the Veloster N. Maybe two different demographics in the subcompact SUV space vs. the subcompact hatchback space for the US market? In the subcompact hatchback space your dollar gets you performance and pretty much nothing else when it comes to the N model.

Last edited:
Actually, there were differences in the Iron Man and the Ultimate. I noted them when I drove it. More powerful 201 hp spec 1.6T but there were some things it was not equipped with. We owned a 2018 Kona Ultimate. It was well equipped but really needed the 201 1.6T.

Hyundai build cars to do one thing.

No it is not to give you everything you want, no it is not to protect you and your family in times of danger, and no, it is not to make the best cars ever made.It is just simply to make a profit.

When they poached Albert from BMW, they told him "give us a performance car, just like the M3" (or something like that).

He created the N, specifically the i30N (and then the Veloster N). BRAVO Mr Biermann!!!!

Yes..... it is (at this stage) manual only (hooray), yes it is missing a lot of "luxury" features and high end trim that makes the Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and to some degree even the VW look and feel like a luxury car. But here's the point, it had to drive and feel like an M car. And it does (mostly). Having driven a few M3s and an M5, let me tell you in 40+ years of driving, the i30N comes very close to being the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. Not the fastest, not the best handling, not the flashest, and yet, I smile every time I start it up.

If I had twice the disposable income to spend on a car, or three times, or ten times, my guess is I would NOT be driving a Hyundai. I would be driving an M4, or a Cayman, or an S63, and possibly an Ariel Atom (supercharged) as my track car. But I am not in that position, so I buy a (budget) performance car that fits MY budget. The i30N in Australia costs 60% of an S3, 50% of an AMG35, 33% of an M3. Add all the "luxury" features to an i30N, like the $5k wheels, the $5k seats, the alcantara, the 4 wheel drive, the 8 speed DCT, the DAW, LKA, LFA, LCA, HBA, BCW, RCCW, {and any other BS and LAM letters you like), and you have an $70- $80K car (in AUD), now you are competing directly against the big boys, and the brand snobbery plays a huge factor. Who is going to buy a Hyundai, when they can have a Mercedes AMG35 or BMW 240i for the same price? No-one....

So Hyundai have to market and sell their budget car at a budget price, and this means you don't get all the fruit. Who cares? Not me. If you really do care about all those "luxury" items, then you are not buying a car that is fast (ish) to be driven hard and enjoyed, you are really wanting to buy a car that "looks" fast, and has all the safety features and luxury items. That is called an N Line. NOT an N...

And to make it even worse, you want all the fruit and all the performance, and you want to put all of that into a high center of gravity design, with no more space or functionality than a normal hatchback. CRAZY!!!

(From an article I read recently about the BASE model cars) The $3000 premium for the Kona also buys a car with less interior space, a smaller boot, and a space-saver spare.

The fact Hyundai are even (considering) building a Kona N means Albert has lost control of the project and the bean counters are now in charge, and building what the people want, not the best car possible. It will be interesting to see the final version. Watered down, not all of the fruit, not very practical, and doesn't handle as well as the car version, what a disappointment it will be...

Hyundai build cars to do one thing.

No it is not to give you everything you want, no it is not to protect you and your family in times of danger, and no, it is not to make the best cars ever made.It is just simply to make a profit.
The fact Hyundai are even (considering) building a Kona N means Albert has lost control of the project and the bean counters are now in charge, and building what the people want, not the best car possible. It will be interesting to see the final version. Watered down, not all of the fruit, not very practical, and doesn't handle as well as the car version, what a disappointment it will be...

Your beginning and ending ideas contradict one another so I will try to address them together. They want to make profit but shouldn't build what people want? Uh, ok.

Hyundai builds cars to well, sell them. They offer features, options, etc. to appeal to the largest demographic possible for a given model. I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to “protection from danger.” So I will just skip over that comment. They are trying to make a “subcompact SUV” that meets the top demands of the customer set. You can call that “best” if you want but it’s more like meeting the majority of customer's hierarchy of wants / needs. That is why people would buy one model over another. No matter how little they charge for it, if it’s bad, its bad. SUV’s sell well, just a fact. No matter how soulless you feel the people who drive them maybe, Hyundai can’t ignore them if they want to make money. Offering a “performance” subcompact SUV may help them scoop up some customers in a very competitive market.

When they poached Albert from BMW, they told him "give us a performance car, just like the M3" (or something like that).

He created the N, specifically the i30N (and then the Veloster N). BRAVO Mr Biermann!!!!

Yes..... it is (at this stage) manual only (hooray), yes it is missing a lot of "luxury" features and high end trim that makes the Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and to some degree even the VW look and feel like a luxury car. But here's the point, it had to drive and feel like an M car. And it does (mostly). Having driven a few M3s and an M5, let me tell you in 40+ years of driving, the i30N comes very close to being the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. Not the fastest, not the best handling, not the flashest, and yet, I smile every time I start it up.

If I had twice the disposable income to spend on a car, or three times, or ten times, my guess is I would NOT be driving a Hyundai. I would be driving an M4, or a Cayman, or an S63, and possibly an Ariel Atom (supercharged) as my track car. But I am not in that position, so I buy a (budget) performance car that fits MY budget. The i30N in Australia costs 60% of an S3, 50% of an AMG35, 33% of an M3. Add all the "luxury" features to an i30N, like the $5k wheels, the $5k seats, the alcantara, the 4 wheel drive, the 8 speed DCT, the DAW, LKA, LFA, LCA, HBA, BCW, RCCW, {and any other BS and LAM letters you like), and you have an $70- $80K car (in AUD), now you are competing directly against the big boys, and the brand snobbery plays a huge factor. Who is going to buy a Hyundai, when they can have a Mercedes AMG35 or BMW 240i for the same price? No-one....

I understand that performance models sell relatively well in the Australian market. That is not the case in the US. I wouldn’t paint everything with such a broad brush.

We don’t have the i30N in the US so don’t really have a frame of reference for its competition. But it does appear that Hyundai targeted the "boy racer" crowd in the US with the Veloster N as it has performance upgrades along with an upgraded auto system and…….nothing else. Seems to hit that demographic pretty square on the nose.

Hyundai includes all of the items you listed on N cars in their home market. And......they don’t cost as much as a Mercedes or Audi. I would also venture to guess if such a model existed in the Australian market it too would not be in that price range either. 10k aus dollars (never mind usd) for just wheels and seats is an absurd notion.

In the US a Mercedes A35 starts at $44,950 and a BMW 240i starts at $45,800. Both likely don’t have all of the safety tech at those price points either. But there is absolutely no way a Kona N , based on the Ultimate trim, would cost anywhere near $45k in the US!

So Hyundai have to market and sell their budget car at a budget price, and this means you don't get all the fruit. Who cares? Not me. If you really do care about all those "luxury" items, then you are not buying a car that is fast (ish) to be driven hard and enjoyed, you are really wanting to buy a car that "looks" fast, and has all the safety features and luxury items. That is called an N Line. NOT an N...

I don’t know how you made the leap from someone who wants blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control to they only want a car that “looks” fast.

I don’t really consider anything I listed as a “luxury” item. Maybe 10 years ago. But most family sedans (think Honda Accord) now come standard with them. As far as I can tell Hyundai is the only company that has chosen to strip out almost all of the safety tech on their “performance” model. VW went a similar “strip features” direction with the current GLI in the US. But they ended up in a very different place. It has an upgraded engine, adaptive suspension, DCT, etc. but it also includes blind spot monitoring, heated/ventilated seats, etc. It also doesn’t cost $45k+. So again, it can be done.

And to make it even worse, you want all the fruit and all the performance, and you want to put all of that into a high center of gravity design, with no more space or functionality than a normal hatchback. CRAZY!!!

(From an article I read recently about the BASE model cars) The $3000 premium for the Kona also buys a car with less interior space, a smaller boot, and a space-saver spare.

I want an N model with AWD. When the Kona N was first announced it was supposed to be FWD only. I ignored it. The current rumor mill now has AWD back on the table. So I jumped into the fray. I also like the idea of being able to quiet the exhaust, soften the suspension, turn on ACC and just cruise home on my daily commute in gridlocked traffic. With the option to turn it up to 11 and blast down a back road in NGS mode when I feel like it. Nothing crazy about it. Just the simple reality of how every vehicle purchase is a compromise.

Last edited:

Little bit more reading .

Yes, I understand and I believe a lot of others would interested, me included. They talked about it but I really don't believe it will come to flourishion. The Kona Ultimate has a versions in 4wd but it not full time.