• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i20N - Reviews, General Discussion & Info

Hyundai unveils the new i20 N
- The Hyundai i20 N brings the thrill of the race track to the i20 series
- High-performance 1.6-liter turbo GDI engine with 150 kW/204 PS and 275 Nm torque
- Market launch in spring 2021
Hyundai Motor presents its latest high-performance model, the Hyundai i20 N (The Hyundai i20 N has not yet been homologated for the German market and the vehicle is not yet on sale. The homologation and fuel consumption determination of the German country version will be done during the market launch). The very sporty five-door car is based on the new i20, which has just been introduced. Hyundai is thus now extending its range of sporty high-performance vehicles from the compact class to the small car segment.
Like the other Hyundai N models, the i30 N (fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 10.2; extra-urban 6.3; combined 7.7; CO2 emissions combined in g/km: 176) and the i30 Fastback N (fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 10.2; extra-urban 6.3; combined 7.7; CO2 emissions combined in g/km: 176), the new Hyundai i20 N offers dynamic driving pleasure - without compromising on everyday driving pleasure, thanks to its exclusive engine performance and innovative technologies. The Hyundai i20 N has its roots in motorsport. It is inspired by the i20 Coupe WRC rally car, with which Hyundai won four victories in 2019 and crowned itself the WRC brand world champion.
Design with racing character
The motorsport DNA of the new Hyundai i20 N is immediately recognizable from the body design. It is characterized by its overall sporty impression and follows the new Hyundai design philosophy of "Sensuous Sportiness", which gives the vehicle a powerful look.
Compared to the third generation of the Hyundai i20, which has been available in dealerships since the beginning of October, the i20 N has further aerodynamic features derived from motor sports. These include the 10 millimeter lower ground clearance and the enlarged air intake in the front apron for the turbo engine. The wide radiator grille with the N logo features a unique pattern based on a checkered chequered flag at the finish, underlining the new i20 N's proximity to the race track. Below the radiator grille, a front spoiler with red accents reinforces the sporty look. The color accents extend all the way around the vehicle to the rear, emphasizing the width of the high-performance model. Unique side skirts create a visual link between the front and rear of the vehicle.
A visually striking feature is the roof spoiler at the rear, which increases driving stability even at high speeds. The rear bumper with diffuser optics and triangular rear fog light is reminiscent of the light signature of the i30 N and the i30 Fastback N.
Further design highlights are the LED front headlights and the darkened rear lights. The racing character of the new i20 N is further emphasized by customized 18-inch light-alloy wheels in a matt gray paint finish and brake calipers with the N logo.
Hyundai offers six exterior colors for the new i20 N, including the N-typical Performance Blue, which is available exclusively for Hyundai N models. The other colors are Intense Blue, Polar White, Sleek Silver, Brass and Phantom Black. All colors except Phantom Black can be combined with an optional black roof paint.
Sporty interior with the usual N-qualities
The sporty design continues seamlessly in the interior. Here the driver finds a multitude of N-specific extras. These include special sports seats with integrated headrests as well as an N steering wheel, N gearshift knob and pedals in aluminum look. In the completely black interior, the striking accents in the Performance Blue color scheme stand out. The digital cockpit offers functions such as the tachometer's limit range, which varies according to engine oil temperature, and the LED gear shift indicator, which recommends the optimum time to change gears even in sports mode.

N-engine for maximum driving pleasure
For maximum driving pleasure in the new i20 N, Hyundai has developed a powerful and technologically unique 1.6-liter turbo engine with direct gasoline injection and a crisp six-speed manual transmission (6MT). The engine is being used for the first time in a European Hyundai model. It delivers a maximum output of 150 kW/204 hp and a maximum torque of 275 Nm. Weighing in at 1,190 kilograms, the new i20 N weighs the same as the i20 Coupe WRC and thus offers an exemplary power-to-weight ratio in its class. This is noticeable not only in its unique handling but also in its driving performance. The new i20 N accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 6.7 seconds and reaches a top speed of 230 km/h.
Torque and power at lower engine speeds allow for relaxed everyday driving. The new Hyundai i20 N delivers its maximum torque between 1,750 and 4,500 rpm and reaches its maximum power between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm.
The newly developed engine of the i20 N features an innovative turbo system with an intercooler and water cooling. A 350-bar high-pressure injection line ensures fine atomization of the fuel, faster engine response and more efficient mixture preparation, thus providing even more driving pleasure both on the road and on the race track.
The 1.6-liter T-GDI engine uses Hyundai's new CVVD (Continuously Variable Valve Duration) technology. The CVVD valve control technology regulates the opening and closing time of the valves according to the driving situation for improved responsiveness. At the same time, it increases power output depending on the situation, while fuel efficiency increases by three percent.
Hyundai has modified and strengthened the 6MT six-speed manual transmission especially for the new i20 N. Customers can also order their i20 N with an optional mechanical differential lock (N Corner Carving Differential). This optimizes power transmission to the front wheels by counteracting loss of traction and reducing understeer in fast corners.
N functions for that extra thrill while driving
The new Hyundai i20 N offers a variety of dedicated functions for a sporty driving experience. These include the N Grin Control System, for example. It offers the customer a choice of five different driving programs: Eco, Normal, Sport and N as well as a freely programmable, individual mode. These driving programs adapt the mode and characteristics of the engine, the electronic stability control (ESC), the sound of the exhaust system, the steering and the transmission. This allows the driver to optimize his Hyundai i20 N for a wide range of driving conditions. In the N Custom mode, the driver can freely select each individual component from the Eco, Normal, Sport and Sport+ settings to customize driving preferences and road conditions. A network diagram appears on the navigation touchscreen. For an even sportier driving experience, the driver can choose between three levels of electronic stability control (ESC): on, sport and completely off.
As already known from the Hyundai i30 N and Hyundai i30 Fastback N, the new i20 N also features a range of high-performance driving functions. The Rev Matching throttle function, which can be activated via a button on the steering wheel, automatically adjusts the engine's speed level to the speed of the transmission input shaft when downshifting with the throttle down, thus enabling faster gear changes.
Electronic control also helps when driving off quickly: the standard Launch Control prevents slippage and spinning wheels during full acceleration from a standstill, thus enabling a start with the best possible traction - just like in a racing car.
Other motorsport-inspired features include a sound generator, an exhaust system with variable flap control for the perfect noise level as well as a brake pad wear indicator and special 215/40 R18 Pirelli P-Zero ultra-high performance tires with HN marking (stands for Hyundai N).
Driving pleasure in everyday life and on the race track
Hyundai engineers have re-tuned and refined the chassis, suspension, brakes and steering of the regular i20 so that the new i20 N can be driven on the racetrack by sports drivers at the limit and provide thrills.

The chassis has been reinforced at twelve different points to support more agile handling regardless of road and weather conditions. These include a redesigned underbody panelling and an additional support point for the chassis. The suspension receives reinforced front steering levers and steering knuckles with adapted geometry, and an increased wheel camber improves traction. A new stabilizer bar, adapted springs and shock absorbers ensure driving pleasure on the race track and in everyday life. The newly developed N Power Sense axle at the front in combination with a Dual Coupled Torsion Beam Axle (CTBA) at the rear increases stiffness. The wheels have five mounting points, and the high-performance brakes have an enlarged front disc that is 40 millimeters larger than that of the regular i20. They allow a more even brake pedal feel. In addition, the new Hyundai i20 N offers a high degree of steering precision thanks to an adapted steering ratio (12.0 instead of 12.4 in the regular i20) and a specially tuned power steering system that is attached to the steering column.
Exemplary safety
The new i20 N is equipped with the functions of the Hyundai SmartSense driver assistance systems and meets the highest European safety standards. These include functions such as the autonomous emergency brake assist (FCA) including front collision warning with pedestrian and cyclist detection, intelligent traffic sign detection with speed assistant (ISLA), lane following assistant (LFA) and blind spot warning (BCW). Also on board are the automatic emergency call system eCall, the front collision warning system (FCW), the lane departure warning system (LDW), the lane departure warning system (LKA), the high beam assistant (HBA) and the rear cross traffic warning system (RCCW). The Attention Assist (DAW) works in conjunction with the LVDA, which is available for the first time in the new Hyundai i20. This system signals the driver if the vehicle in front of him starts to move off and he does not react quickly enough at a traffic light after changing to green, for example. The rear-view camera provides support when parking.
Technology for everyday use and the race track
The new i20 focuses on technology and connectivity. This also applies to the i20 N. For example, the high-performance model displays the "Performance Driving Data" known from the i30 N. This enables the driver to read important data on power, torque, loader pressure and the G-forces acting on the vehicle and to measure his lap or acceleration times.
A 10.25-inch touchscreen navigation system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is optionally available for the Hyundai i20 N. The latest version of the Hyundai telematics system Bluelink® with new functions is used here. These include Connected Routing for more precise traffic forecasts and Last Mile Navigation, where navigation continues on the smartphone after parking until arrival at the destination, as well as the creation and saving of user profiles.
The new Hyundai i20 N will be available in Germany in spring 2021. Prices will be communicated well in advance of the market launch.

The front end looks much more uniform and complete compared to the facelifted i30N. Less conflicting grill textures and weird angles...
The sideskirts also have nice accents compared to very dull i30N sides :)

As a direct competitor to the Fiesta ST this makes the Ford look dull and outdated.

Would like to see it in white or a dark colour.

Performance Blue with the black roof and the red skirts looks too jarring to me.
I agree, Feel though in White it will look like a Toyota though

How's the calibre of car this company is producing these days though. 30 years ago I'd have laughed my arse off if someone told me I'd find one of the most thrilling and reliable cars I've owned was to be a Hyundai.

A mate of mine back in the early 90s was an apprentice mechanic who was tasked with the pre-delivery services of the Hyundai Excel. He told me how he ripped the plastic off the interior of one to find the bottom of one door trim was carpet (the others were plastic) and that the passenger seat was grey velour while the rest were beige cloth.

And now we're fussily picking apart these dead-set weapons of cars. How far the Koreans have come. And yes, every appliance in my house is Samsung 😀

Reactions: PeterP
The Auto Bild video tested my schoolboy German from 50 years ago, but I think I got his drift!

Was thinking of a Fiesta ST when I swap my existing 140 Fiesta, but couldn't live with the seat in that, so looking forward to seeing how this compares for comfort. Certainly like what I've seen so far!.

How's the calibre of car this company is producing these days though. 30 years ago I'd have laughed my arse off if someone told me I'd find one of the most thrilling and reliable cars I've owned was to be a Hyundai.

A mate of mine back in the early 90s was an apprentice mechanic who was tasked with the pre-delivery services of the Hyundai Excel. He told me how he ripped the plastic off the interior of one to find the bottom of one door trim was carpet (the others were plastic) and that the passenger seat was grey velour while the rest were beige cloth.

And now we're fussily picking apart these dead-set weapons of cars. How far the Koreans have come. And yes, every appliance in my house is Samsung 😀
I had a Hyundai Lantra 1.8CD in the 1990s it was a great car and had features that British cars of the day were only found on top end cars like Jags. I thought then they would go on to great things but unfortunately after that they went downhill and it was only recently with the introduction of the I range of cars that they have finally found their groove.

Sounds good to (from 7.30 in the video):

there is a review in English now on you tube it's Thomas from Autogefuhl no driving but interior and exterior and exhaust sound, looks good though I was hoping it would be a little faster than a Fiesta st but it's not, though I know straight line speed is not everything.

Last edited:
Ah, still a no! :oops: The AMC Pacer was one of the fugliest cars ever made.:)

The i20N is a nice looking little car.
1975_amc_pacer_x.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg