• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust Pops&Bangs discussion

thekings

Aug 12, 2020
Lancashire
When you lift off in any gear between 4 and 5k revs it pops and bangs.

I went through a tunnel yesterday and changed from 2nd to 3rd and the bang was so loud a pedestrian screamed :D:D:D
Lol does that have to be on n mode with rev matching on. Or can you do the pops and bangs in sports mode. I've tried mine but no pops and bangs if idle in n mode it will when parked up but when driving i can't hear no pops and bangs don't know why

• Haha
Reactions: R Veloster N

RemcoV

Feb 29, 2020
Hellevoetsluis
Lol does that have to be on n mode with rev matching on. Or can you do the pops and bangs in sports mode. I've tried mine but no pops and bangs if idle in n mode it will when parked up but when driving i can't hear no pops and bangs don't know why
Only in N mode, not in Sport.

Reactions: thekings

REM66

Oct 2, 2019
United Kingdom
You can get it in custom mode too if you set the exhaust to the sports+ mode no need for rev matching to be turned on but if it is on it will pop and bang on downshifts if it picks the revs up over 4.5k or you could do the old fashioned heel toe technique yourself and it will do the same.

Reactions: thekings

thekings

Aug 12, 2020
Lancashire
You can get it in custom mode too if you set the exhaust to the sports+ mode no need for rev matching to be turned on but if it is on it will pop and bang on downshifts if it picks the revs up over 4.5k or you could do the old fashioned heel toe technique yourself and it will do the same.
Does it have to have a certain amount of revs before it pops and bangs. As when I put mine in n mode I still don't get no pops and bangs even in n mode or sport plus mode. Must be me doing something wrong dont know.

REM66

Oct 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Does it have to have a certain amount of revs before it pops and bangs. As when I put mine in n mode I still don't get no pops and bangs even in n mode or sport plus mode. Must be me doing something wrong dont know.
It needs around 4500 rpm before it pops, usually a double bang if you are straight back on the throttle and it will do a triple bang at higher revs closer to the red line

It's not a constant as it seems to happen more once the car is well warmed up and even then it sometimes doesn't do it, there is probably an algorithm at work somewhere to decide if it's needed as I've been told it's for anti lag on the turbo but I'm not 100% sure that is true?

Reactions: Davo01 and thekings

jm1681

Sep 12, 2020
Phoenix AZ
FWIW, it seems after my oil heats up on track, my pops disappear completely. Out-lap I get pops, first hard lap I get pops, lap two no pops, and literally none until I pit for a session and go back out with a "cool" car. This phenomena as best I've experienced it has led me to want an oil cooler more and more.

jm1681

Sep 12, 2020
Phoenix AZ
If you're tracking the car regularly you need an oil cooler.:)
Indeed. I'm lately thinking of relegating the N to daily duty, and doing a Stupid Toy Build for tracking :(

I like my Veloster N a lot. Possibly more than any off-the-shelf car I've owned, but a big part of that IS the comfort of the warranty. My dealer seems cool with light mods, and turning a blind eye to track use, but the more I touch to really have it track-ready, the more I have a chance of a problem :(

I am sorry for digressing, I'm just feeling a little defeated in my car lately. I'm not slandering it at all, it's awesome, but it's not quite as track-ready as it gets billing for. More than any Hyundai has ever been, absolutely, but out of the box, it is not ready for hard track life.

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
It’s actually engine in sport + for pops, not the ‘zorst :)

the pops are due to the engine changing the exhaust valve closing so as to allow unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it combusts generating more pressure to keep the turbo spooled up. It’s a functional feature (as well as fun).

Reactions: Bu11eT and BNEJRN

Davo01

Jan 28, 2019
South Australia
It needs around 4500 rpm before it pops, usually a double bang if you are straight back on the throttle and it will do a triple bang at higher revs closer to the red line

It's not a constant as it seems to happen more once the car is well warmed up and even then it sometimes doesn't do it, there is probably an algorithm at work somewhere to decide if it's needed as I've been told it's for anti lag on the turbo but I'm not 100% sure that is true?
It is true :)

Reactions: BNEJRN