• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Condensation in the headlight

Who! Me. said:
Headlights should not fog up and sweat and not go away, they should fog up but the fogging should nto be permanent and should disappear.
They do not have to fog up.

LED lights do get warm, but nowhere near as hot as filament bulbs, that's what people mean when they say that LED lights do not get warm. I would be very surprised if the heat generated is sufficient to warm up the lens while driving as the heat is carried away by the air blowing across the surface.

Got the headlight replaced today with a brand new one and before I left the service garage the new headlight was all fogged up within 30 minutes it was as bad as the headlight, they took out of the car service manager looked at it and shook his head and stated to me he has never known anything like it before. So, he walked up top his car which is the same as my car and his car was 100% fog free. So, the service manager said he will contact Hyundai headquarters and phone round soem more people to see what they say and if this is within a tolerable range of acceptability for the headlight to be sweating if they say replace both headlights then that is what they will do.

I reminded him no use in swapping these headlights with brand new ones for them just to fog up as bad as the ones already in the car there must be a design fault with the current headlight manufacturing process he did say the headlight is a sealed unit he did agree this would corrode the light housing reflectiveness over time and to his mind this is not at all acceptable. What he can’t get over why his headlights on his car which is an I30N are not fogging up like mine as he had no other cars to gauge it off he could only compare my car to his now they have sold 6 performance cars and not one has come back to them with this headlight fogging issue.

I myself will contact Hyundai and make a formal complaint as the service manager will phone me Friday with an update whether I will have yet again have new headlights installed into my motor vehicle.

I will update this post as soon as I hear anything back from Hyundai.

Got the headlight replaced today with a brand new one and before I left the service garage the new headlight was all fogged up within 30 minutes it was as bad as the headlight, they took out of the car service manager looked at it and shook his head and stated to me he has never known anything like it before. So, he walked up top his car which is the same as my car and his car was 100% fog free. So, the service manager said he will contact Hyundai headquarters and phone round soem more people to see what they say and if this is within a tolerable range of acceptability for the headlight to be sweating if they say replace both headlights then that is what they will do.

I reminded him no use in swapping these headlights with brand new ones for them just to fog up as bad as the ones already in the car there must be a design fault with the current headlight manufacturing process he did say the headlight is a sealed unit he did agree this would corrode the light housing reflectiveness over time and to his mind this is not at all acceptable. What he can’t get over why his headlights on his car which is an I30N are not fogging up like mine as he had no other cars to gauge it off he could only compare my car to his now they have sold 6 performance cars and not one has come back to them with this headlight fogging issue.

I myself will contact Hyundai and make a formal complaint as the service manager will phone me Friday with an update whether I will have yet again have new headlights installed into my motor vehicle.

I will update this post as soon as I hear anything back from Hyundai.

Strange. Here the temperatures change alot. It can rain water it's +5c and the next day it snows and it can be -10c. I have no fog in my headlights. Manufacturing fault in the headlights. No other explanation.

Reactions: Who! Me.
I phoned Hyundai today and spoke with a nice woman at Hyuandi UK she told me that there are no other mentions of complaints from customers of I30 N cars of headlights fogging up I explained N-cars.net there are plenty complaining with pictures and told her look there she replied unfortunately different regions are made differently even between European countries your car here in the GB will be slightly built different to a car destined for Italy France ETC ETC, bullshit or what go figure anyway she was able to explain that yes the service manager has raised this matter with the technical guys at Hyundai UK headquarters, and they are to get back to him with a resolve or fix if one is available who knows will have to wait and see what comes of this.. Funnily my front headlight that was replaced on Monday has cleared so that is something positive I suppose as it has actually cleared up. To me headlights should not be sweating here is a picture now 4 weeks ago this area was really all over the front headlight now it has shrunk to what you see in the attached photo, it is acceptable for a headlight to fog and mist up but then it should clear after a 2 hr test which it does not.

This sweating which has turned into water droplets will eventually destroy the inside of the light housing so I will have this headlight changed also. PHL .jpg

I will report back with updates.

I would say to anyone with fogging headlights that sweat and does not clear to report to Hyundai UK.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
To beat the dead horse some more....

Some fogging can be expected, but should clear out. The lights are vented and not sealed.

This is how my car and headlight looked after wash and a photoshot:
A3510B7D-5B77-4D85-AB8B-C495D7A2AF14.jpeg

It will go away, don't worry about it unless you have actual water droplets collecting in your headlights.

No point running to the dealer for any condensation.

Last edited:
Reactions: icelink and Davo01
Some fogging can be expected, but should clear out. The lights are vented and not sealed.

It will go away, don't worry about it unless you have actual water droplets collecting in your headlights.

No point running to the dealer for any condensation.
The only time I have noticed fogging was after a 12 mile drive. That says to me that the venting is not working under some circumstances.

It will go away eventually, but if in the meantime that condensation scatters the light, which dazzles an oncoming driver, then you are breaking the law. I doubt Hyundai will cover the fine.

This is to those that are following and reading my road trip concerning my headlight.

Well the service manager phoned me today and explained that Hyundai UK want the garage to send them my defective headlights as Hyundai state that there may be a different headlight design to the older headlight design they want to see if anything has changed in the manufacturing process between my headlight the new headlights coming off the production line and I was told I will be receiving yet again two new sets of headlights, as and when Hyundai get back to my service manager with an update as to why my headlights are steaming up misting then turning to water droplets inside of the light lens.

Interesting enough Hyundai have taken a keen interest in this issue and they stated to the service manager that this will have to be fixed. So rather than have a replacement headlight sent over and fitted to my car they are going to wait and see if the newer headlights which are made for new cars coming off the production line if the headlight design has changed if it has then I will receive brand new headlights which will be slightly different in design to the older generation headlights. So, I will yet again have two new headlights installed and hopefully these will be the better improved variety with no water droplets forming.

Hyundai take on the fogging issue is this and I quote.

(Headlights should fog up and mist up but then the misting or fogging should dissipate. There is no heat given off from the led lights in the headlight as the heat is negligible non existent so having the led lights on won’t demist the inside of the headlight.

Under no circumstance should water droplets appear inside of the light housing as this will cause and could alter the light output spectrum)

If this is happening with your vehicle you should have it examined. As most people posting to this thread seem to have water beading inside the light lens and Hyundai UK have stated that water droplets inside the headlight is something which should never happen.

If you have water droplets inside of your headlight please report the matter to Hyundai head office, if you don’t complain to them, they will know nothing about it.

So now I am waiting to hear if there is an updated headlight design available and if there is then I will be receiving yet again two brand new headlights with updated design characteristics.

The service manager agrees that his car which is the new 2019 model his headlights have never even misted up on the coldest day so his thinking is that maybe the first headlight design was flawed and now a newer design is available which has been updated and that is why in his I30N performance his headlights have never even misted up, never mind water droplets forming on the headlight..

I will update once I receive final word and headlights. Maybe take two or three weeks but I will report back once I have the headlights replaced.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
@Mightymoo

That’s the whole point I do have water droplets forming inside my light lens and the service manager seen it with his own eyes and stated it is unacceptable.

Most people who posted to this thread with their own pictures of headlights with water droplet stated that is the design of the headlight and get used to it well seemingly that is a load of old BOL+++KS.

Again you are wrong if the condensation does not clear within 2 hrs of having the engine running and if the headlight still has condensation then it is deemed defective that was confirmed by the Hyundai master technician so if you are going to post get your facts right I have been through this process and I am still going through this process with my Hyundai garage, my headlights were all full of condensation and after a set period of time if the condensation does not disperse I was told I will be having my headlights replaced.

Suppose all service garages are not equal. Anyway, I will be getting new headlights and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Mate - no one ever said water *droplets* were normal, in fact many times they’ve said the opposite. They merely pointed out that some light fogging was common on this and many many other makes and models. So enough with the BOLL*CKS already :)

Reactions: Mightymoo
Mate - no one ever said water *droplets* were normal, in fact many times they’ve said the opposite. They merely pointed out that some light fogging was common on this and many many other makes and models. So enough with the BOLL*CKS already :)

Figuratively speaking referring to the wording BOL+++KS I was just stating a fact regarding fogging of the headlight as some members here on this forum assume that is normal when obviously it is not normal so it is just me venation my frustration on the subject.

James simpson referred to people posting as smart arses, regarding the fogging issue so he was frustrated by the replies he was receiving as you can see Bigmon replied back to me and reported it is only cosmetic get used to it well obviously it is not cosmetic when the Hyuandi Master technician explained to me it definitely is not considered normal and will have to be fixed so much so my headlights are winging their way to Hyundai UK to be examined by their in house technicians to ascertain what is causing these headlights to fog up and how to address the issue I will hear back by the end of this week.

Bigmon Wrote on the Nov 28, 2019 #128 and I quote (I really don't think it will fail the MOT with fogging in the headlight, unless they change the MOT to specify that. It doesn't have any effect on the light pattern, it's just aesthetic.) Well that is total nonsense as water beading inside the light lens will alter the beam spectrum the master technician told me it will definitely fail an MOT and you could also be prosecuted by the Police if found driving all the time with a headlight with water beading inside the light lense.

s.arhangelov On the Dec 3, 2019 #131 Wrote and I quote (Here are my headlights one brand new and the other factory). I won't even bother having them replaced again. It is what it is....) His headlights are just the same as my headlights and he accepts that is normal

On the Jan 1, 2019 #6 James simpson Wrote and I quote (I've had water build up in headlights, not to be confused with condensation, so warranty team have agreed to change lights, as there is obviously water penetration, smart arses)

@ Davo01 you see you are wrong because I will quote what you wrote in your reply to me in brackets (Mate - no one ever said water *droplets* were normal) You see members on here do think it is normal for the headlights to fog up with water droplets maybe now you can educate Forum members Bigmon & s.arhangelov because they seem to think it is very normal and acceptable have you seen the pictures they have uploaded of their headlights they are full of water droplets.

We could argue all day and night about this issue when I finally get word back from Hyundai regarding my headlights I will report back but if members here think this is normal acceptable then that will ultimately be their decision I certainly will not be putting up with it and I am actually having my headlight’s examined by the top boys @ Hyundai UK. @Davo01 Merry Christmas, mate. No hard feelings EH! Sorry for any offence caused by the wording BOL+++KS.

Yes, I read your reply makes for interesting reading, in fact I am pleased you took the time to provide the links. My concern is this, you still have not gotten the point of my complaint is the fact actual water droplets are present in my headlight the master technician at Hyundai told me he ran a test and it did not disappear so that is a defective headlight.

Upshot of the story is this I have a brand new driver headlight which was fitted last week by Hyundai it only fogged up on the day it was installed when I went to collect it next day it was clear so far this new headlight has not steamed fogged or even misted over since then it is as clear as a bell.

Now I have been told that even the new headlight will be replaced with another new updated headlight as well as the passenger side.

My old drivers’ headlight is now with Hyundai UK being examined I will hear back the middle or end of this week as to Hyundai’s findings by way of the service manager at my local Hyundai garage

Hyundai take on the fogging issue is this and I quote.

(Headlights should fog up and mist up but then the misting or fogging should dissipate. There is no heat given off from the led lights in the headlight as the heat is negligible non-existent so having the led lights on won’t demist the inside of the headlight.

Under no circumstance should water droplets appear inside of the light housing as this will cause and could alter the light output spectrum)

If this is happening with your vehicle you should have it examined by Hyundai and after a 3 hr test if the misting or fogging does not clear then Hyundai will replace it under warranty they class the headlight defective.

I get what you are saying but are you suggesting I do not complain as it seems to me you are saying I am complaining over nothing and should just put up with it.

Either I will get a new headlight for the passenger side or Hyuandi will send two new updated or modified headlights for both passenger and drivers side, now the drivers headlight has been mist, fog free so to me the new headlight is 100% so will have to wait and see what happens.

Reactions: I30N_Asa
Bigmon Wrote on the Nov 28, 2019 #128 and I quote (I really don't think it will fail the MOT with fogging in the headlight, unless they change the MOT to specify that. It doesn't have any effect on the light pattern, it's just aesthetic.) Well that is total nonsense as water beading inside the light lens will alter the beam spectrum the master technician told me it will definitely fail an MOT and you could also be prosecuted by the Police if found driving all the time with a headlight with water beading inside the light lense.

I'd be grateful if you could refrain from misquoting me please. What I actually said was:

I think, unless they totally change the light design (from LED to something else) even a new unit would just fog up again in the right conditions.

It you actually have water droplets in the light (like in my driver side one) then that's not right.

So I actually agree with you that water droplets inside the headlamp is a problem.

Regardless, it's good to know you got somewhere and well done on your persistence.

Would you mind sharing the email address of who you contacted at Hyundai Head Office? Mine went to my local dealer in late November and I haven't heard anything since (they said a part had to come from Korea) so I think it might be time to up the ante.

Well, I'll reply to my own post for anyone else who is interested.

Hyundai UK have sent a new headlight replacement unit to my dealer (same as everyone else) so I'll be popping mine in next week to have it replaced.

So, as we have all said (or so it seems) water droplets inside the headlight unit and it will get replaced. Fogging is normal.

Hello
I work on hyundai service and i have i30N and abaut year ago we replaced both headligh because of fogging on waranty and now abaut a month ago the left headlight strart fogging again and when we change it we saw that is cracked were the bracket is for bumper i never check old headlights for cracks but car newer ben hit or bumpt.
s-l1600.jpg

I’ve had the foggy headlights previously but now i have the water droplets..its been like this for 2 weeks now, taking it back to the dealer next week to see what they have to say about it

D0665853-8FEA-46CF-B3D8-80B028111BB6.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had the foggy headlights previously but now i have the water droplets..its been like this for 2 weeks now, taking it back to the dealer next week to see what they have to say about it

View attachment 11513
I have watched the posts regarding foggy headlights for as long as I have been a member of this forum and fully expected to see some moisture in my own lights at some point. I pressure was my car regularly (every two weeks) and have never experienced this moisture problem in some 15 months of ownership. I cannot understand why mine has not displayed the issue when others have. Given the headlights are identical one must consider their must be an assembly fault however minor in the foggy lights. :cool::)