• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Crocoman

Nthusiast
Dec 26, 2017
Scotland
This is the "new" thread to discuss about Air Filters & Intake Systems, ask questions and request pictures.

Since there are a lot of people asking what Air-Filter / Intake System to order, there is now this collection-thread.
To keep everything clear/clean, it would be useful to respond to the respective post via the "reply-button".

Have any of you lucky people to have the N in their possession had a look under the bonnet yet?

Specifically, the air filter? Is it a paper filter? The one in the Kia Ceed GT is the thicker paper one and the K & N replacement is a touch better IMO.

Just wondering on a simple wee mod in terms of a K & N panel filter or Jetex.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t opened the air box but it’s massive and in the handbook it shows a large cone filter inside - a bit like the AEM cold air filter I had on my Subaru

Reactions: Crocoman
I haven’t opened the air box but it’s massive and in the handbook it shows a large cone filter inside - a bit like the AEM cold air filter I had on my Subaru

Cheers Scott - I'm not really used to having a car with bespoke performance parts so that's good. My Kia (warm hatch if you like - hate that term!) seemed to be a concoction of various parts but nothing particularly unique. I

That's usually the way - my Subaru was the same despite being a performance car. It needed the filter replacing and proper exhaust to unlock some extra power. This car seems to be more thoroughly engineered to perform from the start with all right parts. I won't be modifying this one like I did with the Subaru.

Hello, is something similar to cotton, it seems restrictive

26678350_1760657180634939_3231190564784827274_o.jpg

Reactions: paul-h
2 things that will help this and any car, a good remap (hoping superchips do one, should be 300bhp+) and a K&N cone. My R.S had a cone type paper filter, put a proper cotton filter on and it made a nice noise and sharpened up response too.

Well its not all good news from K&N.
After being told their R&D department wasn't in until Monday, I received this response within an hour of them opening:

"Hi Liam

I have checked with R&D this morning and unfortunately there is nothing in production for your vehicle
It may be something that is done in the future, but as yet there are no plans I’m afraid

Regards
Sam"

I didn't expect them to be making one tomorrow but it isn't great that they haven't even got it on a plan for the future.

Anyway I have now E-mailed Pipercross to see if they are planning anything

Yeah, I don’t think that’s anything to worry about. The mod scene will be very active for this car. Definetly.

If you are getting aftermarket air filter, be careful to buy one from the material like the one dirt bikes have. See attached. Anyways, ITG is a great company and can make custom made air filters if you give them the sizes. I used to run these on different cars, they were excellent.

Attachments

• itg_jc20.jpg
    itg_jc20.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 48
You might find it is a crossover part from another car. Might be something to look into as lots of car makers borrow bits, like my R.S that has the same filter as a MK2 R.S, MK3 STs and lots of Volvos!

Reactions: Tiito