• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Got my replacement today......guess what just as bad.

My goodness. That’s horrendous. I bought one (in the interests of science) ans it fits fine. Very slight movement but nothing major and not any different from the OEM filter. Not tested the performance yet - had a K & N panel filter for my Pro Ceed GT and I thought it was a decent, cheap(ish) mod.

It’s really not rocket science to make this filter fit. Has anyone thought (as crazy as it seems) that there’s anomalies in the size of the air box itself?:eek:
 
Sorry guys video above wasn't working, it is now

Yeah that's still pretty rubbish isn't it! Is your car a 19MY?

I'm just thinking even if the airbox design hasn't changed they might have changed supplier and there is enough of a difference to cause this. They have after all gone as far as stamping a whole new monoside for a different shape fuel flap!
 
Yeah that's still pretty rubbish isn't it! Is your car a 19MY?

I'm just thinking even if the airbox design hasn't changed they might have changed supplier and there is enough of a difference to cause this. They have after all gone as far as stamping a whole new monoside for a different shape fuel flap!
How do I check if it is 19my? It does fit better then the last but a little pressure and you can dislodge it where the standard filter just doesn't move
 
Check this out.

That's great...except on mine with the pipercross and lever in place the lever was loose! Thats why it moved so much, there was not enough pressure between the lever/filter/airbox. I actually tried putting a thickness of plastic between the filter and the lever to introduce some pressure but I wasnt happy with it.

The OEM one sits perfectly in the same conditions.

When the replacement arrives and doesn't fit then I'll film again and hold down the lever :p
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: i-Liam
Yeah, a strategic propaganda video from Pipercross!!

I just find it amusing how they've now reached the position of "You're doing it wrong"

At the end of the day, the OEM Filter is secure with the lid off, and without applying any forces to the lever, as shown in my video. With the OEM, when you slot it in, and push the lever down you get a positive feel to it that reassures you its in properly. As soon as I put the Pipercross in, and put the lever in, I instantly thought "Hmm, that doesn't fit very well".

I posted my filter back today, but I can 100% say if I had it here I'd have filmed it again, holding the lever in place, and I absolutely promise it would still have been loose.

Do they really expect me to just put the lid on, think "It'll be alright" and leave it in place?

I wouldn't do that in a £500 banger let alone a £28k car.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: i-Liam and Crocoman
I’m still erring on the side of anomalies between cars and the air boxes themselves I think. Going to check mine again just now although it seemed fine.

Strange one this.
 
Yeah, first time using Pipercross so not ideal.

Just checked the filter again there - I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t exactly the same fit as the OEM one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BadShadd