• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
Two last questions:

1. how do you know which is positive/negative wires when you cut the plug off to fit the front woofers?

2. how do you know which is positive/negative wires when you cut the plug off to fit the tweeter / crossover?

Fitting pioneer 2 way components TS-A1600C.

Cheers!

Hi I have an i30 n performance in microm Grey looks mint. But the only issue is the sound where can I get updates sound system installed does anyone know anyone in the northwest area. Or does hyundai do it themselves. And how much hope someone can help me out cheers

As far as I can remember front and rear are the same speakers, it's the amp that differs in power output for front and rear.

Today I hooked up calibrated measurement mike. Maximum sound pressure front/rear is the same, the speakers are the same, so the amp power must also be the same. However, what is actually different is gain, on the same volume position (front/rear balance centered) front speakers are significantly louder. I believe that is the reason why it seems the power is different.

Here is graph for stock speakers. Measurement signal is pink noise, tone controls are (of course) flat. Yellow is tweeter, red is (front) woofer. Combined frequency response is roughly 50Hz to 15kHz (+/-10dB). Blue graph is 1kHz@10W, THD is 0.5%, which is surprisingly good.

stock speakers frequency response and thd.png

Please note that range is unusually large (120dB), so the curves look flatter then they really are.

Last edited:
The tweeter frequency response seems really strange. -10db at 30 hz?

The reason to tune down rear speakers seems simple to me, but please correct me if I'm wrong:
More speakers equals always worse sound quality.
Adjusting rear speakers to front speakers is near impossible (in a car) and will always worsen the sound quality.
It is just too much to account for.
So what you can do is tune the rear down, the impact in the front is smaller that way, passengers in the rear will have a speaker that will play more or less direct onto them.

The tweeter frequency response seems really strange. -10db at 30 hz?

You're right, I didn’t turn the other pair off, just measured nearfield. Tweeter curve is valid from 1kHz up, everything below is coming from the woofer. It's the same for the woofer, usable data is up to 3kHz, above is tweeter crosstalk. I should have deleted this part.

Balancing front/rear is more of a preference, then technical neccessity. Personally I'd agree, my rear is low, just for the sense or space.

However, rear amp power may be interesting 'cause it allows for combination with midbas front and low tuned woofer back.

Guys, what woofers is everyone using to upgrade with the standard stereo/head unit?

I'm just in the middle of selection. At the moment, three combinations come into play:

Hertz Mille PRO MPK 1650.3
Focal PS 165FSE EVO shallow
DLS Reference RZ6.2

My priority is a clear, smooth sound; primary for acoustic music (jazz, blues, and classics). They all have same size woofer (16.5cm), large tweeter (low crossover point), high sensitivity (standard head unit delivers only 4x 20W), and come at about the same price (cca. 300EUR). In a moment, my favorite is Hertz.

If that come as expected, the next step will be a pair of low tuned subs in rear doors, driven by the same head unit. Again, my priority is not sound pressure, but low distortion and smooth response.

I'm just in the middle of selection. At the moment, three combinations come into play:

Hertz Mille PRO MPK 1650.3
Focal PS 165FSE EVO shallow
DLS Reference RZ6.2

My priority is a clear, smooth sound; primary for acoustic music (jazz, blues, and classics). They all have same size woofer (16.5cm), large tweeter (low crossover point), high sensitivity (standard head unit delivers only 4x 20W), and come at about the same price (cca. 300EUR). In a moment, my favorite is Hertz.

If that come as expected, the next step will be a pair of low tuned subs in rear doors, driven by the same head unit. Again, my priority is not sound pressure, but low distortion and smooth response.

Would love to know how this plays out. I like deeper music, old school Dance, Garage and HipHop and the standard speakers don't like it. Is the 4x20w RMS power? Very low power handling. I wonder would a small amlifier help or be hard to wire in?