• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust Pops & Bangs discussion

Contacted the manufacturer waiting for a response. Both would be great but performance over pops all day long.

I can't imagine Hyundai will have much to say on the subject of "my aftermarket part has altered the vehicle" but the tuning manufacturer might have some handy input. another option would be ask someone like @N Sport or Hudson automotive

I've done 1200 miles in my car and the exhaust pops but not loud and certainly not the triple pop I hear from other drivers. Tried dropping it to 4th from 70 and taking it above 5k and I get a bit of a pop when moving up to 5th.

From 2nd up to 5k rpm changing up will make the exhaust pop but again, just a single one and barely audible from inside the car. All in N or N custom with everything on sport + except suspension.

Not a major issue but would be nice to have it.

I had mine doing the triple pop not on every occasion. I cannot reproduce it every time, but it mainly happens when I've been driving it more aggressively on the country roads during downshifts from 4th into 3rd or when planting the pedal and shifting from 3rd into 4th at the redline.

Just try to go on 2nd gear for example, rev it into 5-6000 rpm and simply release the throtle pedal, it should pop everytime, again touch a throtle a bit and release again and it should pop and crack again. Off course you can put next gear and go, this is just for test. It is not 100% every time but 5-6000 rpm gear change always do some crack and pop sound for me.

Reactions: Crocoman
I am not 100% sure if this is because I am used to it and over the 'honeymoon' phase although it seems the exhaust isn't a poppy and doesn't have as many grumbles.

It still pops although it need to be at 5k rpm+
I just feel like the first couple of months was much louder and more often of crack/pops compared to now.

Is there anything that could cause this?
Changing the modes does affect the exhaust so I am fairly sure the valve isn't stuck closed.
I have changed the oil over too, heard that it may affect the sound.

EDIT: I have about 15000km on the car currently and always use 98, although different petrol stations seem to give roughly the same amount of sound. (as ive noticed one place seems to have a bit of a louder sound after filling)

Last edited:
Hey all,

My i30n fastback does not pop and bang! If i really give it stink i get a tiny little fart but cabnot even hear it from in the cabin with the windows up or down. Took it back to the dealer who told me the car was running fine there was nothing they could replace as everything seemed to be working. Anyone else resolved this issue?

Reactions: Alexandros
Hey all,

My i30n fastback does not pop and bang! If i really give it stink i get a tiny little fart but cabnot even hear it from in the cabin with the windows up or down. Took it back to the dealer who told me the car was running fine there was nothing they could replace as everything seemed to be working. Anyone else resolved this issue?

Run the car until all temperatures are at operating level. 5 minutes or so.

Stick the car in N mode.

Drive at 30/40mph in 2nd gear, and lift off the throttle. Should be a gun shot just about every time.

Run the car until all temperatures are at operating level. 5 minutes or so.

Stick the car in N mode.

Drive at 30/40mph in 2nd gear, and lift off the throttle. Should be a gun shot just about every time.

My one is defiantly not doing and form of gun shot at all. I literally did this exact test today in 2nd gear and got nothing not even a fart. Car was warmed up had been driving for almost an hour. Something definatly not right but dealer tells me it is fine. Very disapointed.

My one is defiantly not doing and form of gun shot at all. I literally did this exact test today in 2nd gear and got nothing not even a fart. Car was warmed up had been driving for almost an hour. Something definatly not right but dealer tells me it is fine. Very disapointed.

Maybe try different fuel. Definitely in N mode? Any modifications on the car (tuning box or anything like that?)

Maybe try different fuel. Definitely in N mode? Any modifications on the car (tuning box or anything like that?)

Been using 98 fuel but maybe will give 95 a go. Na at this stage car is stock. The day I picked it up I drove it about an hour home and for that first drive the thing let off some gun shot then nothing since. I did have an issue 2 days after i picked the car up where it wouldbt start. Towed to the dealer who fixed a grouding bolt never been the same.

Does it do the overrun little 'pop,pop,pop's or do you literally get nothing?

Just accelerate normally in 2nd to around 4k and just lift off and let revs drop, it should make a nice little crescendo for you.

Reason I ask is i 'lost' these a few weeks back and it was down to me increasing Rev matching up to Sport from Normal in N Custom. Guess it was hanging on to the revs (which is to be expected).

Been using 98 fuel but maybe will give 95 a go. Na at this stage car is stock. The day I picked it up I drove it about an hour home and for that first drive the thing let off some gun shot then nothing since. I did have an issue 2 days after i picked the car up where it wouldbt start. Towed to the dealer who fixed a grouding bolt never been the same.
The test is simple: Warm up the car (see if the orange lights on the rev counter disappear, remaining the red lights), check the oil temp and let it reach, at least, a bit more than 50 degrees, then accelerate to 5k rpm and let go of the throttle, it should release the gunshot if not, something must be wrong. At the dealer, even stationary, you can perform this as long as the criteria of temp is matched, and they will see if there is a software or "hardware" issue. How many miles on the clock?

Reactions: Mightymoo
Does it do the overrun little 'pop,pop,pop's or do you literally get nothing?

Just accelerate normally in 2nd to around 4k and just lift off and let revs drop, it should make a nice little crescendo for you.

Reason I ask is i 'lost' these a few weeks back and it was down to me increasing Rev matching up to Sport from Normal in N Custom. Guess it was hanging on to the revs (which is to be expected).
Nothing I can hear from in the cabin.
I will try and disable rev matching see if it makes a difference.

The test is simple: Warm up the car (see if the orange lights on the rev counter disappear, remaining the red lights), check the oil temp and let it reach, at least, a bit more than 50 degrees, then accelerate to 5k rpm and let go of the throttle, it should release the gunshot if not, something must be wrong. At the dealer, even stationary, you can perform this as long as the criteria of temp is matched, and they will see if there is a software or "hardware" issue. How many miles on the clock?
It has 2500kms on the clock. All give it a rev tomorrow but all the tests I have done I am not getting the pops and bangs or anything like some of the videos that have been posted.

It has 2500kms on the clock. All give it a rev tomorrow but all the tests I have done I am not getting the pops and bangs or anything like some of the videos that have been posted.
Just an heads up, sometimes the dealer doesn't know the full scope of the i30n capabilities (as for all the cars i presume), e.g. pop and bangs rev range, little tricks here and there, and this could result in something like "it's fine, no problem here".
When i picked up mine (a year ago) my understanding was almost zero about the N and the guy at the dealers told me these exact words "the car starts in sport mode"... well, everyone knows this is not true and yet he said it. Whose to say your dealer is right? If you give it another go and still have the same results, go to the dealer, show a video on yt of the N poping and banging (dashboard view i think its required), rev the car to 5k in N mode and let them see something does match with video. From there you see what is their take on this and act according such as requiring an inspection to the car.

Reactions: GazmaN and Crocoman
Just an heads up, sometimes the dealer doesn't know the full scope of the i30n capabilities (as for all the cars i presume), e.g. pop and bangs rev range, little tricks here and there, and this could result in something like "it's fine, no problem here".
When i picked up mine (a year ago) my understanding was almost zero about the N and the guy at the dealers told me these exact words "the car starts in sport mode"... well, everyone knows this is not true and yet he said it. Whose to say your dealer is right? If you give it another go and still have the same results, go to the dealer, show a video on yt of the N poping and banging (dashboard view i think its required), rev the car to 5k in N mode and let them see something does match with video. From there you see what is their take on this and act according such as requiring an inspection to the car.
In my experience there a so few actual car enthusiasts employed by car dealerships it is almost outrageous.

In my experience there a so few actual car enthusiasts employed by car dealerships it is almost outrageous.
And you can eminently tell the difference. That guy i mentioned, seemed like a car enthusiast but laked the knowledge, including another pearl like "i went from Porto to Lisbon behind the new Civic and it was neck and neck (with my N) ...." oooh boy, need i say more? Born salesman, but poor truth teller. For them, unfortunately, its a job, not the job.

Reactions: GazmaN