• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine VN Oil change Discussion

What about Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w30? I think this is the same stuff as the Penzoil?

Believe it or not the mechanic at my dealer freaked out at the suggestion of the stuff because on the shell website it lists the 0w30 version...even though we’re heading into summer and night temps won’t even drop below 15C. I didn’t argue and let him put his oil in there...
5W30 will be fine, I'd say preferable, in an Australian summer. My dealer uses it all year up here.

Reactions: Davo01
Yeah. Very odd.

He warned me of an internal memo at “Holden” which warned of damaged pistons using 5w30...sure thing. Very odd.

Yeah. Very odd.

He warned me of an internal memo at “Holden” which warned of damaged pistons using 5w30...sure thing. Very odd.
Don’t feel too bad one of the mechanics at work told me I’d clog the oil passages and blow my engine using 5w30... he’s been with us for about 3 years now and was a master technician at Monroe for 10+ years prior

Don’t feel too bad one of the mechanics at work told me I’d clog the oil passages and blow my engine using 5w30... he’s been with us for about 3 years now and was a master technician at Monroe for 10+ years prior

Not sure what to make of that post Chris? :)
Are you saying 5w30 C3 Dex2 is okay in Aussie summer especially.

Not sure what to make of that post Chris? :)
Are you saying 5w30 C3 Dex2 is okay in Aussie summer especially.
Sorry for the vagueness I’m using penzoil ultra platnium 5w30. Not sure on the specifics but it’s been recommend by the N community and I had good luck with it in my VT1. However as mentioned the mechanics comments were based on the fact that I was running 5w30 instead of the factory 0w30. And that the increased thickness alone would clog my oil passages and blow my engine...

Reactions: Davo01
It'd have to be very cold for 5w to be an issue, not sure how trained technicians are still so far behind on oil considering how long 0w has been a thing. For an Australian summer I might even look at 10w30 or 5w40.

Reactions: Davo01 and MarkMark
It'd have to be very cold for 5w to be an issue, not sure how trained technicians are still so far behind on oil considering how long 0w has been a thing. For an Australian summer I might even look at 10w30 or 5w40.
Average temps in my area during winter are 20-30° sometimes it’ll get in the teens but rarely. Haven’t had an issue yet and I warm my car up for a few mins before I drive off so I’m not too worried about the oil being too thick

Sorry for the vagueness I’m using penzoil ultra platnium 5w30. Not sure on the specifics but it’s been recommend by the N community and I had good luck with it in my VT1. However as mentioned the mechanics comments were based on the fact that I was running 5w30 instead of the factory 0w30. And that the increased thickness alone would clog my oil passages and blow my engine...

Dang. Pretty sure on my list of oils, Penzoil Ultra Plat 5w30 was my choice of oil for the hot hot south FL weather. Should I be using something else?

5W30/40 is fine for use in warmer climates or for summer use. If you live in Northern tier states, I'd consider running 0W30 for winter with temps hovering around 0F to -30F.

The mechanic was correct for Northern tier climates, in late fall and winter months. With the onset of colder weather, oil viscosity becomes thicker and is harder to pick up from the sump. Most of the problems occur upon startup.

Semi applicable video disregard the brands;

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on changing the oil and filter after the first 600 - 1000 miles as a running-in service?

Used to be commonplace when I first started buying new cars 20 years ago, but nowadays doesn't seem to be in vogue.

I bought a new Mini John Cooper Works 18 months ago and did it, the young mechanic looked at me as though I was insane.

Is there a general consensus on here, or do people just do what they're comfortable with?

600 miles and 1200, then 3-3.5K after that. It could go until 5K but no further. I understand some Hyundai Dealers are servicing the i30N 7500+ intervals. I don't agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: chur1996
What are people's thoughts on changing the oil and filter after the first 600 - 1000 miles as a running-in service?

Used to be commonplace when I first started buying new cars 20 years ago, but nowadays doesn't seem to be in vogue.

I bought a new Mini John Cooper Works 18 months ago and did it, the young mechanic looked at me as though I was insane.

Is there a general consensus on here, or do people just do what they're comfortable with?
I would do it. I did do it. Hyundai tried in vain to talk me out of it (and again at 5K km).

Reactions: Davo01 and chur1996
Update: got 1200 miles on the car, so rang Hyundai to book it in.

Problem with the phone lines on the day, so ended up talking to three separate operators - each one of them tried to talk me out of it, saying that it doesn't need doing until 10k.

Got it done yesterday, now just need some time to go driving and finally open it up properly after nursing it for the first month of it's life!