• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust Pops & Bangs discussion

lc8

Dec 11, 2017
Hello everyone,

Has anyone experienced the fact that the exhaust pops and bang disappear after an hour or so of spirited driving?

I was told that this is perfectly normal, however, for me, half the joy of driving the N is the sound.

As far as I'm aware, this happens because the exhaust gets too hot. Considering the fact that it was only 6 degrees outside, does that means that on a hot summer day the exhaust will get quite very fast?

Cheers,
LC8

Hi,
as I have never been driving hard for such a long time I can't tell. But after cold start your N my exhaust doesn't pop when I lift off. So maybe it's not related to exhaust temperatures but to the engines temperature?

Reactions: 247duensch
Interesting to know. I wonder if others have experienced this on test drives?

Now that a few have had the cars for a while - can anyone confirm whether the OPs observations are true? Do the pops and bangs disappear after a short time?

On the test drive I was on the 2nd time they did disappear along with the rev matching, but I did have the 4 way flashers on under heavy braking as a bin lorry appeared from nowhere. I just changed rev match from on to off then back on again and all was good! Not sure why it did it but I'm sure having more time with the car will help!

Reactions: NurHam
Mine pops and bangs every time too, as long as you take it above 4K.
Regarding the bangs disappearing when hot, last week I drove it on the motorway for 4 hours before putting it in N mode and having some fun on a country lane - the engine and exhaust were obviously very hot but it still popped and banged exactly as it should so there's no reason it should stop after a while.

Reactions: asdf144 and paul-h
Anyone experienced a loss in exhaust notes i.e pops and bangs after remap?

I've recently fitted a TDI tuning box and although the increase in performance is impressive I've lost the pops and bangs that came in stock mode. I've turned the box off, the pops are there but very muted. Anyone had similar issues?