Hi everyone,
I’ve got a bit of an unfortunate situation.
While driving the i30N, I noticed the oil pressure warning light briefly coming on. When exiting the motorway, I figured out that it would flash on when taking corners at a certain speed. My assumption is that the lateral forces caused the oil to move away from the oil pump pickup, resulting in a temporary loss of oil pressure.
I stopped and checked the oil level. The dipstick was completely dry.
I then walked to a petrol station, bought oil with the correct specification, and added a total of 2 litres. After adding those 2 litres, the oil level was just at the MIN mark on the dipstick.
The car belongs to relatives, and I also assumed that the vehicle had some kind of digital oil level warning or electronic oil level measurement. I learned the hard way that this is apparently not the case.
The car had an oil change and service 15,000 km ago. I have no idea how long the oil level had already been too low. With a total oil capacity of 4.8 litres, that would mean there were only about 2.3 litres of oil left in the engine. For this calculation, I assumed roughly 0.5 litres between the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick.
Now to my questions:
From now on, the oil level will definitely be checked regularly using the dipstick.
I’ve got a bit of an unfortunate situation.
While driving the i30N, I noticed the oil pressure warning light briefly coming on. When exiting the motorway, I figured out that it would flash on when taking corners at a certain speed. My assumption is that the lateral forces caused the oil to move away from the oil pump pickup, resulting in a temporary loss of oil pressure.
I stopped and checked the oil level. The dipstick was completely dry.
I then walked to a petrol station, bought oil with the correct specification, and added a total of 2 litres. After adding those 2 litres, the oil level was just at the MIN mark on the dipstick.
The car belongs to relatives, and I also assumed that the vehicle had some kind of digital oil level warning or electronic oil level measurement. I learned the hard way that this is apparently not the case.
The car had an oil change and service 15,000 km ago. I have no idea how long the oil level had already been too low. With a total oil capacity of 4.8 litres, that would mean there were only about 2.3 litres of oil left in the engine. For this calculation, I assumed roughly 0.5 litres between the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick.
Now to my questions:
- A consumption of roughly 2.3 litres over 15,000 km — would you consider that an acceptable amount of oil consumption? The engine is definitely consuming the oil; there are no visible leaks.
- The car has already been driven about 20 km since topping up the oil, including motorway driving at around 120–140 km/h. There were no noticeable problems. Is it reasonable to assume that we may have been lucky and avoided any engine damage?
- An oil change will be carried out very soon. Would it also be worth asking the workshop to perform a compression test or any other checks while the car is there?
From now on, the oil level will definitely be checked regularly using the dipstick.