• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
I am quite sure the oil flowing through the turbo gets the oil past the 212 degree mark. So, with all this technical information being said the question remains: Do we get an oil cooler or not for this platform? Layman's terms; yes or no? Please.... lol...

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: newbtostandard
I am waiting for that exact answer Mike lol. My cooler will be here today so I'd like to know whether I should just be looking to resell to someone who actually tracks. I did like 8 wot pulls in my top map against my buddies Lexus IS F and maybe hit 220 degrees.

Reactions: Ghost
An oil cooler will drop oil temps between 15 to 20 degrees. Mine runs normally at about 205 or so normally. So that means the oil will be somewhere between 185 to 190 as a norm with an oil cooler. I just want to know if that's a good enough temp to keep everything operating correctly?

-Mike

Last edited:
Let's keep it simple gentlemen. If your car is mostly stock and you're not putting it on a track an aftermarket oil cooler just isn't neccesary. If you're hitting the track frequently then it is most likely a necessity. If you're only racing once or twice a year like me just change your oil and filter out after your last blast and/or every 5,000 km.

Last edited:
Oil coolers, cool in flight and very little setting still. This is where the engine requires a cooler and stable operating temperature. If you're in a northern climate state and not tracking/racing or severely utilizing the car, you don't need one. However, southwestern states will benefit from its use.

I say it again; Heat soak, is a major issue for performance engines. The longer it's utilized, the hotter the engine becomes and retains the heat. This heat affects horsepower output. To keep the engine cooler and to remove the heat produced one of the things it needs, is cooler oil and coolant temps. This reduces heat soak. The hotter it is ambiently, the hotter the engine will become.

The higher the horsepower, the higher the mean or baseline operating temperatures. So, as you begin to improve on horsepower and performance, engine temps will rise accordingly as you push it beyond it's designed capacity. So one of the immediate benefits of an oil cooler is, reduced sump and engine operating temps. If the oil is cooler the coolant system isn't over overworking.

Oil viscosity remains stable and provides better lubrication. Better lubrication, provides increased durability and longevity. When you add horsepower, you add more stress to the engine. So, you have to help the engine do its job more efficiently :)

Last edited:
Oil coolers, cool in flight and very little setting still. This is where the engine requires a cooler and stable operating temperature. If you're in a northern climate state and not tracking/racing or severely utilizing the car, you don't need one. However, southwestern states will benefit from its use.

I say it again; Heat soak, is a major issue for performance engines. The longer it's utilized the hotter the engine becomes and retains the heat. This heat affects horsepower output. To keep the engine cooler and to remove the heat produced, one of the things it needs is cooler oil and coolant temps. This reduces heat soak. The hotter it is ambiently, the hotter the engine will becomes.

The higher the horsepower, the higher the mean or baseline operating temperatures. So, as you begin to improve on horsepower and performance, engine temps will rise accordingly,as you're push it beyond it's designed capacity. So one of the immediate benefits of an oil cooler is, reduced sump and engine operating temps. If the oil is cooler the coolant system isn't over overworking.

Oil viscosity remains stable and provides better lubrication. Better lubrication, provides better durability and longevity. When you add horsepower, you add more stress to the engine. So, you have to help the engine do its job more efficiently :)
Great write up. I do live in central PA so I don't think I'll be running one personally. I will be doing a coolant flush and fill with some Mishimoto Liquid Chill coolant when I have the chance to leave my car overnight to get it done. Hopefully the better coolant mix of 50/50 as opposed to what I believe is a 60/40 coolant/water mix that comes OE has the desired result of keeping cool under load.

It's a good start. Just keep in mind; when you start to utilize the car for more than daily use and continually beyond what it's designed for, make sure you're helping the engine do it job efficiently.

If you build the engine, you have to consider every aspect of the drivetrain and suspension as a unit. Add more horsepower, add more cooling control, suspension capabilities, etc and even driver capability and awareness. It can become finite but each works, hand in hand with the other.:)

Do you think with running the RaceChip it would be beneficial to run the oil cooler? I will be getting that coolant in pretty soon but I understand that will only help so much. I don't drive like a lunatic, maybe only like that 10-15 percent of the time. I also will be doing an update IC soon, so if that will help drop temps even a few degrees that may suffice for me. Thanks for the thoughts!

It's going to depend solely how you utilize the car. If you plan on utilizing its performance on a regular basis and modifying it with bolts on performance parts, I'd consider utilizing one.:) The RaceChip affects boost, boost increases horsepower /torque output. Additional horsepower/torque increase engine performance and raises baseline operating temps.

Some owers perspectives change the longer they participate here and become accustomed to characteristics of the car, deciding to modify a little further. Modifying, can be a little addictive at times. It's best to provide a reasonable amount "performance safety," to the platform as possible. At least this way, you're confident in it's capability.
Case in point; my wife loves sports cars but she putts around with them most of the time, which is fine. She knows the cars capability and its always there for use. Having that capability and know it's available can be helpful in necessary situations. Same with engine capabilities.
Is adding an oil cooler going to help your confidence in the car and the engine or is it simply relative to use. Do you want the added capability or not. You are never going to regret it's installation, especially when you already have it in hand.:) What you will do later as part of human nature depicts is; take a loss for a new part in hand. Periodically, mull over the monetary loss and lack of capability. Then later decide due to additional modifications, it best to add one.

So, you'll kick yourself in the butt for selling it at a loss. The old say goes like this; "A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush." It's used for saying, that it's better to hold onto something one has already, than to risk losing it by trying to attain something better. Hope this helps!:D

Last edited:
I'm really tempted on that oil cooler since summer temps have been around 35-40C (~100F) and will rise in the future, then again temps in winter can get as low as -15C (~5F)...
Your environment almost demands one, considering the regular speeds you can and do drive at. Along with altitudes which cause greater variations in hotter operating temps. Think "Thermal Bypass Valve" also.

During the winter, you can make a drawstring cover to put over it, if you are experiencing reduced operating temps. :)
I'll be using it with the 200 degree release spring so at least it'll be at close to warm enough temp year round
^Thermal bypass in-line valves are available at specific temp settings. So, it not difficult to bypass the cooler when it's not needed.

Last edited:
I have spent the day learning about thermostats, how they work, as well as research thermostatic oil coolers and such. Looked at the forge oil cooler and I now realise it comes with a thermostatic sandwich plate.

Reactions: Mikemr305