• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Oil Cooler

TarmoT

Feb 25, 2018
Poland
Thermostat might work opposite but both plates will make same job.
In both cases, oil will be cooled by additional cooler when it is required (when temps are going up) and additional cooler will be not used when oil temps are below targeted level.

Bu11eT

Staff member
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Since I have my airtec oil cooler installed successfully I wanted to discuss another topic which I stumbled across: Checking the correct oil level.

So why is that a question? Well, since I have my oil cooler mounted with the fittings up, only the oil from the oil lines would return to the oil sump when I shut the car off.
Our manual states to let the engine oil warm up, shut the engine off, wait about 5mins and then check the dipstick.

If I do that with my oil cooler installed, the reading is obv always too high since the oil returns from the lines (luckily I've mounted the cooler fittings up otherwise the whole cooler content would've falsified the dipstick reading even more^^).
So I was thinking if it now makes sense to check the oil level with the car idling (like it's done on some Porsche cars) or directly after you switched it off. That way, I know exactly how much oil is in the oil sump because the excess oil gets pushed into the oil lines of the oil cooler.

What do you guys think about this topic? Thought it was kinda interesting :)

Last edited:

Bu11eT

Staff member
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
The Oil Cooler manual will tell you exactly how much to add with the mounting the cooler. Check it when it's cold, just as belore. :)
manual only states to "top it up". not really an exact measure isnt it 😂
in addition, i've now mounted the cooler fittings up and not fittings down as the manual suggested. So not sure if the "top it up" clause applies

• Haha
Reactions: R Veloster N