• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New car, a few observations and a couple of queries

You need a powerflex lower torque mount bushing.
Also, the Pirellis are great but not compared to Michelins.

The dogbone bush upgrade was really cheap, easy to do yourself, easily reversible if you don't like it (which you will love anyway), reduces axle tramp by 80%+. Do it today!

I went with the Whiteline bush, only $25, 20 min install. Does have some more vibration (Normal mode with AC @ idle), but the pluses out weigh the negatives.

OK, now that I'm past break in, I've been giving it a bit of a go and the wheel hop/axle tramp is incredibly bad. I thought I'd wait, but turns out that waiting will be too hard.

This might be a hard question to answer, but which of the two (Powerflex vs Whiteline) is better. Is there any actual difference between them aside from cost?

They both do the same job, I used powerflex yellows, no change to noise or vibration, but a massive reduction in wheel hop. Some have gone to harder ones but with an increase IN NVH.

Reactions: LordPave
They both do the same job, I used powerflex yellows, no change to noise or vibration, but a massive reduction in wheel hop. Some have gone to harder ones but with an increase IN NVH.

Cheers for that - I've historically bought Whiteline stuff in the past, so if there's no substantial difference I'll go order a set now.

OK, now that I'm past break in, I've been giving it a bit of a go and the wheel hop/axle tramp is incredibly bad. I thought I'd wait, but turns out that waiting will be too hard.

This might be a hard question to answer, but which of the two (Powerflex vs Whiteline) is better. Is there any actual difference between them aside from cost?

No experience with the Whiteline, but I have the Powerflex Purple, the middle ones, and have no issues with NVH, but now I get wheelspin instead of axle tramp, highly recommended...

> I forget those era cars are so much smaller compared to now
Ikr, my previous car was a 2004 Audi A4 (parents old car) and this feels way bigger. Like ~1.43 tonnes for "hot hatch" feels insane

P.S might see you around, since Im in the Strathmore area ;-)

Ikr, my previous car was a 2004 Audi A4 (parents old car) and this feels way bigger. Like ~1.43 tonnes for "hot hatch" feels insane

It might be frequency illusion, but I swear my brain is super attuned to any i30N on the road and is constantly playing a game of "Where's Wally", but with i30Ns. So yeah, I probably will see you around :D

Size wise, its seriously nuts. I'm still not there yet in placing the car.

##

So this thread is starting to become a bit of a "what have I done" type thing.

What I've done to my car now:

In order:
- Took the car to LiquidR and had them put paint protection film all over the front end (front bar, front quarters, hood, mirrors and behind the wheel arches), then ceramic coat the entire thing. Its super silky now to touch, though due to the recent rains I need to wash it
- I've installed a bunch of iilumo interior LEDs - havent touched the external lights, as the lights are not ADR approved and I'm not risking it

Things on the way/in progress:
- I received the Whiteline bushing kit because I got it for ~$20. I do have a slight lean towards them from my old R31 Skyline days
- Above in the photos, you can see I've got full sized plates - they're changing to slimline plates because I'm vain (and I probably am thinking this song is about me)
- I've got a Blackvue DR900 4k Dual Camera dashcam on the way, gotta line up an auto elec to hardwire it in for me (because I have zero interior tools and know I'll break stuff if I try)
- I also have a chat with a couple of audio installers to try and get better speakers and an amp to go into the car without cutting any wires whatsoever

I wont post this sort of stuff too often, but figured this might count.

I am curious to know if I can slot the new 10" screen into the car though, if it is I'll have to ponder installing that.

Impressive reflections in those photo's. It would seem your paint protection people know what they are doing.

Interesting your comment on placing the car. I currently have a 2014 Mazda3 and the long nose has caused me issues. After 6 years, it still get it wrong at times - hard to overcome the previous 30+ years. One of the things I checked both times I drove the N, was parking and I managed to get it right each time - of course that may have been because I was paying extra attention.

Reactions: GazmaN and LordPave
Impressive reflections in those photo's. It would seem your paint protection people know what they are doing.

Interesting your comment on placing the car. I currently have a 2014 Mazda3 and the long nose has caused me issues. After 6 years, it still get it wrong at times - hard to overcome the previous 30+ years. One of the things I checked both times I drove the N, was parking and I managed to get it right each time - of course that may have been because I was paying extra attention.

As it turns out, one of the owners used to go to uni with my gf - but I didnt find this out until after the work was done. I'd recommend LiquidR for anyone in Melbourne, they do some pretty impressive work. Mine isnt the only i30N they've had through the doors, so it makes sense why they were able to both do it quickly and also do it well (for cutting the PPF that is).

Compared to my old Maxima, the N feels wider (and it is, but its negligible at 3-4cm or so) - so mentally I struggle trying to work out where my wheels are and where the front is overhanging. It means that I lack confidence when I go through roads I am extremely familiar with, but dare not get too close to the edge as I still havent worked that part out. Tracking the car will help me immensely on that front though, as is currently paying far more attention to certain activities (like parking) which have more risk.

I suspect you're doing the same as me, because you're becoming hyper-aware of your surroundings - its not a bad thing, but part of me does want it to return back to second nature.

As it turns out, one of the owners used to go to uni with my gf - but I didnt find this out until after the work was done. I'd recommend LiquidR for anyone in Melbourne, they do some pretty impressive work. Mine isnt the only i30N they've had through the doors, so it makes sense why they were able to both do it quickly and also do it well (for cutting the PPF that is).

Compared to my old Maxima, the N feels wider (and it is, but its negligible at 3-4cm or so) - so mentally I struggle trying to work out where my wheels are and where the front is overhanging. It means that I lack confidence when I go through roads I am extremely familiar with, but dare not get too close to the edge as I still havent worked that part out. Tracking the car will help me immensely on that front though, as is currently paying far more attention to certain activities (like parking) which have more risk.

I suspect you're doing the same as me, because you're becoming hyper-aware of your surroundings - its not a bad thing, but part of me does want it to return back to second nature.

I wish I had my N. I chose to go with the 2021 model (but not for the DCT), so I am still waiting to get some sort of confirmation of a delivery date, not withstanding that I signed 9 weeks ago. The indication back then was early/mid April, but since then - nothing.

It is interesting how some cars feel different in their placement, compared to others. Also how sometimes, just subtle changes to design lines make some cars seem bigger or smaller.

Reactions: GazmaN and LordPave
I wish I had my N. I chose to go with the 2021 model (but not for the DCT), so I am still waiting to get some sort of confirmation of a delivery date, not withstanding that I signed 9 weeks ago. The indication back then was early/mid April, but since then - nothing.

It is interesting how some cars feel different in their placement, compared to others. Also how sometimes, just subtle changes to design lines make some cars seem bigger or smaller.

It can be tough waiting for the car - I wasnt the most patient and I surely annoyed my dealer to no end with my constant nagging. But it is worth the wait imo, and you made a good decision in waiting (I partially feel like I should have waited myself).

Reactions: GazmaN and mcb6110
Got mine done 9 Months ago, fantastic job, ive only really washed my car 3 + 4 times Thoroughly...as I just Gurni the dust and dirty off.
Iā€™m due to go back to re-apply 1 coat in May to keep that Silky smooth look.

Attachments

• F9B1EC3A-4F62-4D5B-B38C-A3CCC781876E.jpeg
    F9B1EC3A-4F62-4D5B-B38C-A3CCC781876E.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 35

strathmore? i'm right around the corner from strathmore...what colour? i'm a red hatch with a two digit plate so you can't miss it. are you on the Facebook group?

It can be tough waiting for the car - I wasnt the most patient and I surely annoyed my dealer to no end with my constant nagging. But it is worth the wait imo, and you made a good decision in waiting (I partially feel like I should have waited myself).
awesome car and colour choice, have you joined the FB group? we just had a drive last weekend down to reefton and back through the black spur. was a great run

It might be frequency illusion, but I swear my brain is super attuned to any i30N on the road and is constantly playing a game of "Where's Wally", but with i30Ns. So yeah, I probably will see you around :D

Size wise, its seriously nuts. I'm still not there yet in placing the car.

##

So this thread is starting to become a bit of a "what have I done" type thing.

What I've done to my car now:

In order:
- Took the car to LiquidR and had them put paint protection film all over the front end (front bar, front quarters, hood, mirrors and behind the wheel arches), then ceramic coat the entire thing. Its super silky now to touch, though due to the recent rains I need to wash it
- I've installed a bunch of iilumo interior LEDs - havent touched the external lights, as the lights are not ADR approved and I'm not risking it

Things on the way/in progress:
- I received the Whiteline bushing kit because I got it for ~$20. I do have a slight lean towards them from my old R31 Skyline days
- Above in the photos, you can see I've got full sized plates - they're changing to slimline plates because I'm vain (and I probably am thinking this song is about me)
- I've got a Blackvue DR900 4k Dual Camera dashcam on the way, gotta line up an auto elec to hardwire it in for me (because I have zero interior tools and know I'll break stuff if I try)
- I also have a chat with a couple of audio installers to try and get better speakers and an amp to go into the car without cutting any wires whatsoever

I wont post this sort of stuff too often, but figured this might count.

I am curious to know if I can slot the new 10" screen into the car though, if it is I'll have to ponder installing that.
I've got paint protection on mine ,good decision.

In a bid to budget for things, I'm mapping out what I think my spend will be for the car.

So after 2+ months and >3100km with the car, this is the things I have issues with:
- The stereo system - no matter how I tweak the settings, I cant quite get what I want out of it. I took my handy Bose portable (Bose Soundlink Revolve) into the car and played the same tracks side by side and immediately saw the shortfalls in the system. The Bose, whilst very bass heavy, tends to represent the midrange reasonably well. The audio in the i30N doesnt
- The clutch - ordinarily, I'd say the issue with the clutch is me, but it isnt in this case. Turns out Rick Kelly stalled it too - the Motor magazine folk seem to think it ought to be improved. If I'm not careful, I sometimes can miss the friction point and stall the car - the anti-stall isnt particularly strong either, so my continued reliance on this function catches me out. Moral of the story, if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself :p
- The ride can be a touch hard, even in Normal mode, on really poor roads - thats not really the fault of the car though

In terms of what I can't do, anything with the clutch is out so thats struck off the list immediately. Which leaves only things I can do!

Stuff to buy:
- Wheels - See below
- New stereo - The only caveat is the need to not cut any wires. Has to be plug and play only. Would be nice to get an additional amp to boost power, since it doesnt appear to be very well amplified
- The 10" head unit from the new model, since it appears to be a much nicer screen - hopefully its plug and play
- Maybe a little bit of additional sound deadening (to help the stereo function better)

On the topic of wheels, I've started looking around and I gotta say that I think I genuinely prefer the look of the OZ Racing wheels that Hyundai themselves sell. Except, based on what Corsa59 and a few others have posted (here and in other threads), I think I want to go down the 18" route just to get a little more compliance in the ride as well as it being a little less expensive to maintain. That is, if its possible.

@Corsa59 you mentioned you went 18" x 8.5", did you end up with the same +55 offset or did it change? The same wheels that Hyundai get at 19" are set for +55, where the 18" are +45. I dont know what that additional 10mm will do to how the car performs, since (assuming at least an 8" width) the contact patches get pushed out further and in turn will cause the performance of the car to be altered (I read somewhere that you may get a tiny bit more understeer, as an example).

I dont want to go down the spacer path to correct offset, I'd rather a wheel that hits the right offset. Failing that, living with an offset that has minimal impact. So many things to consider here.

OK, I drove to Adelaide over the weekend (WFH, but at my parents place) - anyone in ADL who sees a Shadow Grey i30N (with Victorian plates) driving around, its probably me :p

Reinforcing what everyone on these forums have said, those Pirellis on our coarse chip bitumen...I had the stereo up to 28 at points (theres a few strips between Horsham and Bordertown that are horrific), and on the return I'm probably going to keep my noise cancelling headphones handy as it is really bad.

As much as I want to try to wear these out, there's a strong case for switching to the Michelins, even if they're only 10% quieter.

Using this as a pseudo-GT, its actually pretty comfortable to cover distance - I did 810km, averaging 7.7 litres/100km (this includes some suburban driving in both Melbourne and Adelaide). Didnt ever feel uncomfortable, and didnt feel fatigued at the end either.

So I do need to move on the wheels sooner, rather than later. I want to do a drive up and down the Great Ocean Road, before tourism kicks back in fully, so that way I can drive it relatively undisturbed. Wonder if I'll get wheels before then.

I kinda feel like I'm keeping this particular forum active with my almost diary-esque (or Journal-esque, if your masculinity is challenged by the word "diary" :p) posts about my car. :p

Anyway, drove back to Adelaide and surprisingly averaged 7.1 litres/100km on the return. I was supposed to mount up my GoPro 9 and DJI Osmo Pocket and record the journey - but I forgot. Next time.

On the return, I did get passed by a modded Dark Knight i30N, who slowed down and I think waved - but it was hard to tell. With my tint and their tint, I couldnt see into their car. Then they rapidly took off, wouldnt be surprised if they won a ticket (to pay the government money) as I passed an incredibly large number of cops that were out for the Easter enforcement.

I did get an Easter present of my own - a chip right in the middle of the windscreen. YAY!! :( I'm sad now.

Lastly, did anyone know that VicPol have i30Ns of their own? Apparently there's at least 2.

Reactions: GazmaN
Those fuel consumptions look pretty reasonable. I can't get much better out of my Mazda3 @110 kmh

Where you sitting on 100 or 110. Not sure of the max. speed limits in SA and Vic.

Windscreen chips suck!

Those fuel consumptions look pretty reasonable. I can't get much better out of my Mazda3 @110 kmh

Where you sitting on 100 or 110. Not sure of the max. speed limits in SA and Vic.

Windscreen chips suck!

In most of VIC past Horsham, it was all 100 k/h, but from Melbourne to Horsham it was mostly 110k/h once you got outside the city limits. In SA, its very much solely 110k/h - very little 100k/h from memory.

Oh, thats another point, I self upgraded the entertainment unit (geez, Hyundai made that super simple) and it added a couple of great features. Apart from the GPS speed, it added the calculations required for the Average Speed Limit cameras - it shows the average speed you're maintaining for the distance between the start and end speed cameras. So easy to stay under, and also not sit there wondering if you're going to cop a ticket.

For the most part, I think I stuck to 115-116k/h indicated in the large part of 110k/h zones, as that translated to 109-112k/h GPS indicated speed (I checked the onboard GPS against my phone GPS, via the IOS app Sp33dy (also via Waze, too). I may have had points where I pushed the limit (mostly after overtakes - I genuinely hate being on the wrong side of the road for too long) for a fair distance. So the economy is actually really good, considering there must have been ~50-70km where I possibly was not travelling at the speed limit.

My insurance policy gives me a free windscreen replacement. Might have to consider that if a repair is still noticeable. Right now, its there and my eyes naturally get distracted by it - cant imagine that'll be safe in the long run.

Reactions: mcb6110