• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New car, a few observations and a couple of queries

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
You need a powerflex lower torque mount bushing.
Also, the Pirellis are great but not compared to Michelins.
The dogbone bush upgrade was really cheap, easy to do yourself, easily reversible if you don't like it (which you will love anyway), reduces axle tramp by 80%+. Do it today!
I went with the Whiteline bush, only $25, 20 min install. Does have some more vibration (Normal mode with AC @ idle), but the pluses out weigh the negatives.
OK, now that I'm past break in, I've been giving it a bit of a go and the wheel hop/axle tramp is incredibly bad. I thought I'd wait, but turns out that waiting will be too hard.

This might be a hard question to answer, but which of the two (Powerflex vs Whiteline) is better. Is there any actual difference between them aside from cost?

Jajodu

Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
They both do the same job, I used powerflex yellows, no change to noise or vibration, but a massive reduction in wheel hop. Some have gone to harder ones but with an increase IN NVH.

Reactions: LordPave

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
They both do the same job, I used powerflex yellows, no change to noise or vibration, but a massive reduction in wheel hop. Some have gone to harder ones but with an increase IN NVH.
Cheers for that - I've historically bought Whiteline stuff in the past, so if there's no substantial difference I'll go order a set now.

Corsa59

Jan 19, 2018
OK, now that I'm past break in, I've been giving it a bit of a go and the wheel hop/axle tramp is incredibly bad. I thought I'd wait, but turns out that waiting will be too hard.

This might be a hard question to answer, but which of the two (Powerflex vs Whiteline) is better. Is there any actual difference between them aside from cost?
No experience with the Whiteline, but I have the Powerflex Purple, the middle ones, and have no issues with NVH, but now I get wheelspin instead of axle tramp, highly recommended...

Verric

Oct 1, 2019
Melbourne
> I forget those era cars are so much smaller compared to now
Ikr, my previous car was a 2004 Audi A4 (parents old car) and this feels way bigger. Like ~1.43 tonnes for "hot hatch" feels insane

P.S might see you around, since Im in the Strathmore area ;-)

Reactions: LordPave

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
Ikr, my previous car was a 2004 Audi A4 (parents old car) and this feels way bigger. Like ~1.43 tonnes for "hot hatch" feels insane

It might be frequency illusion, but I swear my brain is super attuned to any i30N on the road and is constantly playing a game of "Where's Wally", but with i30Ns. So yeah, I probably will see you around :D

Size wise, its seriously nuts. I'm still not there yet in placing the car.

##

So this thread is starting to become a bit of a "what have I done" type thing.

What I've done to my car now:

In order:
- Took the car to LiquidR and had them put paint protection film all over the front end (front bar, front quarters, hood, mirrors and behind the wheel arches), then ceramic coat the entire thing. Its super silky now to touch, though due to the recent rains I need to wash it
- I've installed a bunch of iilumo interior LEDs - havent touched the external lights, as the lights are not ADR approved and I'm not risking it

Things on the way/in progress:
- I received the Whiteline bushing kit because I got it for ~$20. I do have a slight lean towards them from my old R31 Skyline days
- Above in the photos, you can see I've got full sized plates - they're changing to slimline plates because I'm vain (and I probably am thinking this song is about me)
- I've got a Blackvue DR900 4k Dual Camera dashcam on the way, gotta line up an auto elec to hardwire it in for me (because I have zero interior tools and know I'll break stuff if I try)
- I also have a chat with a couple of audio installers to try and get better speakers and an amp to go into the car without cutting any wires whatsoever

I wont post this sort of stuff too often, but figured this might count.

I am curious to know if I can slot the new 10" screen into the car though, if it is I'll have to ponder installing that.

mcb6110

Sep 25, 2020
Australia
Impressive reflections in those photo's. It would seem your paint protection people know what they are doing.

Interesting your comment on placing the car. I currently have a 2014 Mazda3 and the long nose has caused me issues. After 6 years, it still get it wrong at times - hard to overcome the previous 30+ years. One of the things I checked both times I drove the N, was parking and I managed to get it right each time - of course that may have been because I was paying extra attention.

Reactions: GazmaN and LordPave

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
Impressive reflections in those photo's. It would seem your paint protection people know what they are doing.

Interesting your comment on placing the car. I currently have a 2014 Mazda3 and the long nose has caused me issues. After 6 years, it still get it wrong at times - hard to overcome the previous 30+ years. One of the things I checked both times I drove the N, was parking and I managed to get it right each time - of course that may have been because I was paying extra attention.
As it turns out, one of the owners used to go to uni with my gf - but I didnt find this out until after the work was done. I'd recommend LiquidR for anyone in Melbourne, they do some pretty impressive work. Mine isnt the only i30N they've had through the doors, so it makes sense why they were able to both do it quickly and also do it well (for cutting the PPF that is).

Compared to my old Maxima, the N feels wider (and it is, but its negligible at 3-4cm or so) - so mentally I struggle trying to work out where my wheels are and where the front is overhanging. It means that I lack confidence when I go through roads I am extremely familiar with, but dare not get too close to the edge as I still havent worked that part out. Tracking the car will help me immensely on that front though, as is currently paying far more attention to certain activities (like parking) which have more risk.

I suspect you're doing the same as me, because you're becoming hyper-aware of your surroundings - its not a bad thing, but part of me does want it to return back to second nature.

mcb6110

Sep 25, 2020
Australia
As it turns out, one of the owners used to go to uni with my gf - but I didnt find this out until after the work was done. I'd recommend LiquidR for anyone in Melbourne, they do some pretty impressive work. Mine isnt the only i30N they've had through the doors, so it makes sense why they were able to both do it quickly and also do it well (for cutting the PPF that is).

Compared to my old Maxima, the N feels wider (and it is, but its negligible at 3-4cm or so) - so mentally I struggle trying to work out where my wheels are and where the front is overhanging. It means that I lack confidence when I go through roads I am extremely familiar with, but dare not get too close to the edge as I still havent worked that part out. Tracking the car will help me immensely on that front though, as is currently paying far more attention to certain activities (like parking) which have more risk.

I suspect you're doing the same as me, because you're becoming hyper-aware of your surroundings - its not a bad thing, but part of me does want it to return back to second nature.
I wish I had my N. I chose to go with the 2021 model (but not for the DCT), so I am still waiting to get some sort of confirmation of a delivery date, not withstanding that I signed 9 weeks ago. The indication back then was early/mid April, but since then - nothing.

It is interesting how some cars feel different in their placement, compared to others. Also how sometimes, just subtle changes to design lines make some cars seem bigger or smaller.

Reactions: GazmaN and LordPave

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
I wish I had my N. I chose to go with the 2021 model (but not for the DCT), so I am still waiting to get some sort of confirmation of a delivery date, not withstanding that I signed 9 weeks ago. The indication back then was early/mid April, but since then - nothing.

It is interesting how some cars feel different in their placement, compared to others. Also how sometimes, just subtle changes to design lines make some cars seem bigger or smaller.
It can be tough waiting for the car - I wasnt the most patient and I surely annoyed my dealer to no end with my constant nagging. But it is worth the wait imo, and you made a good decision in waiting (I partially feel like I should have waited myself).

Reactions: GazmaN and mcb6110

BoyRacerN

Feb 24, 2020
Melbourne

strathmore? i'm right around the corner from strathmore...what colour? i'm a red hatch with a two digit plate so you can't miss it. are you on the Facebook group?

It can be tough waiting for the car - I wasnt the most patient and I surely annoyed my dealer to no end with my constant nagging. But it is worth the wait imo, and you made a good decision in waiting (I partially feel like I should have waited myself).
awesome car and colour choice, have you joined the FB group? we just had a drive last weekend down to reefton and back through the black spur. was a great run

Instonians

Feb 10, 2021
Wirral
It might be frequency illusion, but I swear my brain is super attuned to any i30N on the road and is constantly playing a game of "Where's Wally", but with i30Ns. So yeah, I probably will see you around :D

Size wise, its seriously nuts. I'm still not there yet in placing the car.

##

So this thread is starting to become a bit of a "what have I done" type thing.

What I've done to my car now:

In order:
- Took the car to LiquidR and had them put paint protection film all over the front end (front bar, front quarters, hood, mirrors and behind the wheel arches), then ceramic coat the entire thing. Its super silky now to touch, though due to the recent rains I need to wash it
- I've installed a bunch of iilumo interior LEDs - havent touched the external lights, as the lights are not ADR approved and I'm not risking it

Things on the way/in progress:
- I received the Whiteline bushing kit because I got it for ~$20. I do have a slight lean towards them from my old R31 Skyline days
- Above in the photos, you can see I've got full sized plates - they're changing to slimline plates because I'm vain (and I probably am thinking this song is about me)
- I've got a Blackvue DR900 4k Dual Camera dashcam on the way, gotta line up an auto elec to hardwire it in for me (because I have zero interior tools and know I'll break stuff if I try)
- I also have a chat with a couple of audio installers to try and get better speakers and an amp to go into the car without cutting any wires whatsoever

I wont post this sort of stuff too often, but figured this might count.

I am curious to know if I can slot the new 10" screen into the car though, if it is I'll have to ponder installing that.
I've got paint protection on mine ,good decision.