• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New car, a few observations and a couple of queries

LordPave

Nthusiast
Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
After much hand wringing and teeth gnashing, I've finally gotten my car - a Shadow Grey MY20 i30N delivered in 2020 (pictures at the end of this post)! I'm posting this here, because I didnt want to clutter up the other thread

I received it on the 29th, got told that I shouldnt go over 3k RPM and then had to face a daunting challenge the next day of driving to Marysville, through the Black Spur, for a quick 3 night stay at the Vibe hotel for NY. After 8 passes through said road, this car is so much goddamn fun.

I got 2 empty runs through the Spur, one during the afternoon/early evening (heading to dinner in Healesville) and one at night (heading back to the hotel in Marysville) - I did push a bit on the afternoon run and got a pretty reasonable sense of the car (without speeding, mind you), without going over 3k RPM - an incredibly hard struggle, I'll happily admit to.

Anyway, my observations are:
1) The road noise those Pirellis put out is utterly nuts - but I am looking at new wheels in the next 6 months, so I'll address that then. Performance isn't a worry though
2) 5th gear is rather notchy, which is a touch frustrating
3) The stereo system is, bluntly, rubbish
4) That front end is incredibly reliable - I'm wondering what I'll need to do to upset it and make it break away
5) My previous car was, dont laugh here, a '95 Maxima* - the i30N is quick, but uses so much less fuel (I got 540km out of most of the tank, I think I filled up around 37 litres on the way back) - something I wasnt quite expecting, and something that will oddly save me money over the next 12 months (looking at the last 12-18 months)
6) The biggest thing that caught me off guard, was the additional illumination when turning corners - I was genuinely surprised by that and really did like it on my night run back to the hotel

I only went past 3k RPM twice (once at just under 4k RPM, but that was due to a oh-shit moment of trying to get out of the way of traffic, the other was a down change into 2nd and hitting 3500rpm), which I'm happy about - I've also clocked up 600km towards my break in (shifting repeatedly through 4th, 5th and 6th to not remain in any one engine speed for longer than 5 mins).

My questions for the rest of the community:
1) Not so much a question, but I passed someone (opposite lane) in a Blue i30N on the 30th of December, heading to Marysville - if you're on these forums and read this, hello. For a moment there, you made me regret not buying the sunroof :)
2) Generally, for day to day driving, what are people getting for fuel economy?
3) Has anyone got any suggestions on who to go to for an audio upgrade in Melbourne? Ideally someone who can make it look as factory as possible
4) Do we get automatic high beams in AU? I dont think so, but want to make sure I'm not screwing something up
5) Does everyone drive in N-Custom mode all the time?

In any event, its hard not to love this car - I briefly drove a lot of its competitors and this little trip away reaffirmed to me that I made the right decision. Though, watching a pair of Yaris GRs zoom by did leave me a touch jealous :)

Note:
* - I wasnt driving much, so I never saw a need to replace it. Eventually it became a case of not driving it much, when suddenly I did need to be more mobile, because I started to get worried around the reliability of it (that motor + gearbox was super strong, however the rest of the running gear left me very worried about any >100km trips). Unrelated, the i30N is dimensionally very similar in width to the Maxima which surprised me - I forget those era cars are so much smaller compared to now

Pictures:
u3JbiAZ.jpg

MW9cKxY.jpg

- Sub 600km to a tank, usually around 550.
- I enjoy the comfort of driving a nice quiet car as I've got other noisy and harsh cars I drive so no, can't say I drive in N modes all the time.
- no automatic high beams as far as I'm aware and I'm a PB n performance luxury pack.

I've had mine for 6 months in Tassie and they're great fun. Get it on the track ASAP and you'll find the limit of the Pirellis before you find the limit of the front end.

- no automatic high beams as far as I'm aware and I'm a PB n performance luxury pack.

Should work if you put the lights into "auto" mode and then push the light-stalk forward once. Pushing a 2nd time will set the high-beams to be on all the time. Any more pushing will toggle between those 2 modes, you'll need to pull back on the stalk while the high-beams are on to turn the auto/manual off.

Should work if you put the lights into "auto" mode and then push the light-stalk forward once. Pushing a 2nd time will set the high-beams to be on all the time. Any more pushing will toggle between those 2 modes, you'll need to pull back on the stalk while the high-beams are on to turn the auto/manual off.

That is good to know! Will have to give it a whirl

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
@LordPave massive congrats mate, and nice colour choice.

Yes sir, the P Zeros are indeed massively loud but I am determined to completely kill mine before upgrading. And that side illumination freaked me out on the first corner on my first night drive - honestly thought I was about to be "undertaken" on the inside by a bike or something and snapped a quick shoulder-check, lol.

Don't be stressing too much about pushing it over 3K RPM on a downshift (within reason), should only assist in getting those rings seated properly.

Your two questions that I can answer - rough weekday average of 9.6 l / 100 km with commute through the 'burbs and into the city for me. Far better on the weekends should I get to punt her out of town. N-Custom almost always once she's warmed up, and unless I'm on the highway.

Enjoy the car, and look after her. And don't take on one of those Yaris jobs - it will only end in disappointment...😉

Firstly, you got yourself a nice car!

Your questions:
I would say 10-11l/100 km as average (26-28 MPG), lots of that is city driving, short trips.

I drive in N-custom all the time. When I start the car, it's automatic start/stop off and 2 clics for N custom.
I may go to sport if someone in a car is nagging because of the exhaust noise, or I'm driving chill on a motorway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
3) Has anyone got any suggestions on who to go to for an audio upgrade in Melbourne? Ideally someone who can make it look as factory as possible
4) Do we get automatic high beams in AU? I dont think so, but want to make sure I'm not screwing something up

2 - I have averaged 8.9 l/ 100kms over nearly 40,000 km of mostly fast driving.
3 - if you wind the trbel and mid down and bass up it sounds quite good
4 - no
5 - yes

Cheers all for the info - sorry for the delay in responding though, life got super busy.

I caught up with the guy who pretty much converted me to the i30N, took a "family" snap:
lsna28Ih.jpg

- Sub 600km to a tank, usually around 550.
- I enjoy the comfort of driving a nice quiet car as I've got other noisy and harsh cars I drive so no, can't say I drive in N modes all the time.

I've had mine for 6 months in Tassie and they're great fun. Get it on the track ASAP and you'll find the limit of the Pirellis before you find the limit of the front end.

Cheers for the info, really appreciate it. I'm still finding myself switching to N-Custom unintentionally, might be a phase though :) Good to know about the Pirellis vs the front end. Its been a very long time since I did any performance driving, so I'll have to find a company to do some advanced driver training with first.

Tried this - I think they removed the functionality. Alternatively, I'm a muppet who cant follow simple instructions (my bet is on the latter).

...but i30 N is better.

Yes, yes it is :) I will say, the VG30 is a super smooth engine that this unit really cant match. But this car is far more fun as a complete package.

@LordPave massive congrats mate, and nice colour choice.

Yes sir, the P Zeros are indeed massively loud but I am determined to completely kill mine before upgrading. And that side illumination freaked me out on the first corner on my first night drive - honestly thought I was about to be "undertaken" on the inside by a bike or something and snapped a quick shoulder-check, lol.

Don't be stressing too much about pushing it over 3K RPM on a downshift (within reason), should only assist in getting those rings seated properly.

Your two questions that I can answer - rough weekday average of 9.6 l / 100 km with commute through the 'burbs and into the city for me. Far better on the weekends should I get to punt her out of town. N-Custom almost always once she's warmed up, and unless I'm on the highway.

Enjoy the car, and look after her. And don't take on one of those Yaris jobs - it will only end in disappointment...😉

Hehe - cheers.

I've racked up nearly 900Km on it now, I'm less worried around it now though - but I'm slowly increasing the revs (now hitting 4k RPM in certain circumstances) and its becoming more fun. Can't wait to wind it out and then watch my fuel gauge decrease in real-time :p The lights are super useful though - I'm really happy with those.

Those GR Yaris's (Yarii?) do look special though. They're decent lookers and they are bloody quick. If I had a shot at the $40k deal, I think I'd have taken it tbh.

Firstly, you got yourself a nice car!

Your questions:
I would say 10-11l/100 km as average (26-28 MPG), lots of that is city driving, short trips.

I drive in N-custom all the time. When I start the car, it's automatic start/stop off and 2 clics for N custom.
I may go to sport if someone in a car is nagging because of the exhaust noise, or I'm driving chill on a motorway.

Cheers, much appreciated :)

2 - I have averaged 8.9 l/ 100kms over nearly 40,000 km of mostly fast driving.
3 - if you wind the trbel and mid down and bass up it sounds quite good
4 - no
5 - yes

Basically, from what everyone has posted, it looks like my fuel economy is pretty much bang on point. Dependent on my driving style, I was going anywhere from 8.1 to 11.2 litres per 100km.

Appreciate everyone providing their input, its genuinely helpful for me.

@LordPave Great photo! Had to do a double take LOL

Really liking that colour you’ve chosen. I haven’t seen it in person but looks awesome!

Cheers to fun drives and trying to remember if we drove too fast somewhere we shouldn’t 🍻

Reactions: LordPave
I thought it was a load of rubbish but removed the P zero's from my car yesterday for Michelin PS4S's and the noise has reduced, its a much more supple ride and (granted may not be an issue for you) here in the uk in the damp it grips!

Reactions: Jajodu and LordPave
You need a powerflex lower torque mount bushing.
Also, the Pirellis are great but not compared to Michelins.

I am looking at replacement wheels when I start tracking the car (hopefully) later this year - at that point, I'll fit the wheels with better rubber. The powerflex bushings are already on my to-do list, but maybe after I get to know the car a bit more.

Fucking stunning colour too BTW

Cheers - its off to get PPF + ceramics tonight (will take a few days).

@LordPave Great photo! Had to do a double take LOL

Really liking that colour you’ve chosen. I haven’t seen it in person but looks awesome!

Cheers to fun drives and trying to remember if we drove too fast somewhere we shouldn’t 🍻

Haha - cheers. Racked up the KMs on the car yet? :)

I thought it was a load of rubbish but removed the P zero's from my car yesterday for Michelin PS4S's and the noise has reduced, its a much more supple ride and (granted may not be an issue for you) here in the uk in the damp it grips!

Yeah, not so much of a problem here in Melbourne :) Case in point, yesterday it was 38c. Wet or not, those Pirellis will grip at those temperatures. Seems like, from reading about it, the compound doesnt do so well in cold/wet conditions.

Reactions: Shoulders181
WRONG..... AUDM cars do NOT have automatic high beam, let me clarify that and say my MY18 AUDM i30N Performance Luxury with no sunroof definitely does not have auto high beam. Maybe the MY19 or MY20 cars do have it, but I don't think so. Just another feature they deleted here to keep the cost down....

I am looking at replacement wheels when I start tracking the car (hopefully) later this year - at that point, I'll fit the wheels with better rubber. The powerflex bushings are already on my to-do list, but maybe after I get to know the car a bit more.

Going to 18 * 8.5" for track (and road) wheels was my best ever decision. Cheaper tyres, more sidewall, and less axle tramp (IMO).

The dogbone bush upgrade was really cheap, easy to do yourself, easily reversible if you don't like it (which you will love anyway), reduces axle tramp by 80%+. Do it today!

No Auto High Beam in my 2018, the minor update cars did get the headlight level adjusters, fuel cap revision & couple of other tweaks inc. shocks (this is detailed if you search).
I went with the Whiteline bush, only $25, 20 min install. Does have some more vibration (Normal mode with AC @ idle), but the pluses out weigh the negatives.
Once the P-Zero's are done, I recommend going to a 245/35/19 (if you stick with 19's). I went with PS4S like many others, but there is plenty of tyre choice they're just a bit pricier in a 19.
Also use N-Mode or Custom (almost full 'N' Mode). Tried the Eco for a while when on the Hwy going to work but the fuel saving was minimal if any.

WRONG..... AUDM cars do NOT have automatic high beam, let me clarify that and say my MY18 AUDM i30N Performance Luxury with no sunroof definitely does not have auto high beam. Maybe the MY19 or MY20 cars do have it, but I don't think so. Just another feature they deleted here to keep the cost down....

Confirm in my MY19 there is no auto high beam after testing yesterday.

Auto high beam appears to be standard in europe, very weird marketing from Hyundai. It's a really good auto dip system.