• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New car, a few observations and a couple of queries

Beware of Ns with extra antennas, standard exhaust tips and complete chrome badging šŸ¤£

Amusingly, turns out that my barber (huge car and bike nut) knew of these i30Ns - one of the guys that maintains the VicPol fleet, and has worked on these specific cars, gets his hair cut at my barber's place.

I wonder if they've actually got the hidden antennas that some of the unmarked cars have. If so, then we're in trouble, as you'd never be able to tell.

• Wow
Reactions: GazmaN
In most of VIC past Horsham, it was all 100 k/h, but from Melbourne to Horsham it was mostly 110k/h once you got outside the city limits. In SA, its very much solely 110k/h - very little 100k/h from memory.

Oh, thats another point, I self upgraded the entertainment unit (geez, Hyundai made that super simple) and it added a couple of great features. Apart from the GPS speed, it added the calculations required for the Average Speed Limit cameras - it shows the average speed you're maintaining for the distance between the start and end speed cameras. So easy to stay under, and also not sit there wondering if you're going to cop a ticket.

For the most part, I think I stuck to 115-116k/h indicated in the large part of 110k/h zones, as that translated to 109-112k/h GPS indicated speed (I checked the onboard GPS against my phone GPS, via the IOS app Sp33dy (also via Waze, too). I may have had points where I pushed the limit (mostly after overtakes - I genuinely hate being on the wrong side of the road for too long) for a fair distance. So the economy is actually really good, considering there must have been ~50-70km where I possibly was not travelling at the speed limit.

My insurance policy gives me a free windscreen replacement. Might have to consider that if a repair is still noticeable. Right now, its there and my eyes naturally get distracted by it - cant imagine that'll be safe in the long run.

Thanks for that. Did you note much difference in fuel consumption when changing from 100 (gps) to 110 gps. My current car develops a thirst once you push past 100, they must have geared it for 100 to be the sweet spot.

I like you, check indicated speed against GPS, and then adjust accordingly. I am pleased to see that the GPS speed can be displayed. Hopefully the new one has it out of the box and also the speed sign reading function activated.

Reactions: LordPave
Thanks for that. Did you note much difference in fuel consumption when changing from 100 (gps) to 110 gps. My current car develops a thirst once you push past 100, they must have geared it for 100 to be the sweet spot.

I like you, check indicated speed against GPS, and then adjust accordingly. I am pleased to see that the GPS speed can be displayed. Hopefully the new one has it out of the box and also the speed sign reading function activated.

My sense is that the car is geared for 100k/h to be the sweet spot, but 110k/h isnt altering parameters too much. At either speed, its around the 7.1 litres/100km mark (but the obvious thought is that 110k/h could actually be 7.19 litres, where 100k/h is 7.1/7.12 or so.

I was regularly checking the instant read, I do recall that 110k/h was (on flats, where there are slight undulations) between 6.5 to 7.5, where at 100k/h, it was 6.5 to 7.3. But without running the exact same area at both speeds (in both directions, at least 3-4 times each), I dont think those numbers are worth much tbh.

Reactions: Xcelr8 and mcb6110
My sense is that the car is geared for 100k/h to be the sweet spot, but 110k/h isnt altering parameters too much. At either speed, its around the 7.1 litres/100km mark (but the obvious thought is that 110k/h could actually be 7.19 litres, where 100k/h is 7.1/7.12 or so.

I was regularly checking the instant read, I do recall that 110k/h was (on flats, where there are slight undulations) between 6.5 to 7.5, where at 100k/h, it was 6.5 to 7.3. But without running the exact same area at both speeds (in both directions, at least 3-4 times each), I dont think those numbers are worth much tbh.
Enjoying a real time update on aspect of the car I wish know about before I take delivery, thank you.
An off-topic question, I have read various comments about the Pirelli tyres, after owning the car for a few months, if you have the option to change the tyres, would you? And what would you choose as a replacement, the suggested Michelin PS4S. I only ask as I may have the ability to change the tyres before taking possession of the car. Thanks in advance.

Enjoying a real time update on aspect of the car I wish know about before I take delivery, thank you.
An off-topic question, I have read various comments about the Pirelli tyres, after owning the car for a few months, if you have the option to change the tyres, would you? And what would you choose as a replacement, the suggested Michelin PS4S. I only ask as I may have the ability to change the tyres before taking possession of the car. Thanks in advance.

All good - happy to help, if there's anything else in here you want to know about, I'm happy to share.

Knowing what I know now, if I had the choice to change? I'd definitely change to the PS4S tyres immediately for one single reason: noise.

The Pirellis are really quite good, especially in the warm weather. Tons of grip, they've been predictable on the limit for me and generally been very effective. However, their composition is incredibly bad when it comes to coarse chip bitumen, with the amount of road noise being ridiculously high.

The Michelins, from all accounts, are substantially better on the noise front, with equivalent or slightly better performance. The way I figure it, it cant honestly be worse than the Pirellis.

Reactions: Jajodu and Xcelr8
As an aside, I'm going to be ordering the Brake Master Cylinder Stopper from Impossible Fab, and I'll be trying to work out which catch can to buy as well. Between those 2 and the Whiteline KDT970 mount, that should be enough mods to the car for now. So I keep telling myself.

All good - happy to help, if there's anything else in here you want to know about, I'm happy to share.

Knowing what I know now, if I had the choice to change? I'd definitely change to the PS4S tyres immediately for one single reason: noise.

The Pirellis are really quite good, especially in the warm weather. Tons of grip, they've been predictable on the limit for me and generally been very effective. However, their composition is incredibly bad when it comes to coarse chip bitumen, with the amount of road noise being ridiculously high.

The Michelins, from all accounts, are substantially better on the noise front, with equivalent or slightly better performance. The way I figure it, it cant honestly be worse than the Pirellis.
My current transport is a 2009 Mazda 3 Max Sport (Which I must say has been an exceptionally good car having owned it since new), so I know all about NVH, especially the noise over poorly maintained coarse country roads... It surely cannot be worse than the Mazda 3... Nothing can be THAT bad! Right? And a big thanks for providing me you valued opinion.

My current transport is a 2009 Mazda 3 Max Sport (Which I must say has been an exceptionally good car having owned it since new), so I know all about NVH, especially the noise over poorly maintained coarse country roads... It surely cannot be worse than the Mazda 3... Nothing can be THAT bad! Right? And a big thanks for providing me you valued opinion.

My old 1995 Nissan Maxima with its godawful sound insulation and some average Goodyear tyres is quieter on coarse roads than my i30N. On my drive to/from ADL, I had the volume up to as high as 33 (out of I think 50) just to hear the music reasonably.

So, you might be surprised :)

On good surfaces though, the tyres are fine.

Continuing the theme of this being a bit of a log of my car activities. I had the wheels rotated, balanced and an alignment done. It was unnecessary (both my view and their view), but eh it cant hurt. The fronts (which are now on the rear) were perfect for balancing. The rears (which are now the fronts) were both in need of exactly 15g each.

Curious.

Anyway, the original fronts were marginally more worn than the rears - so at least the wear rate isnt terrible for my style of driving. I think I also helped convince the guy who did the work, to go down the N path, rather than an N-Line. Except, he's looking at a Sonata N, with the DCT. Nice guy.

Separately, I've found potentially an issue. Rev match intermittently does not work when shifting down to 2nd gear. Maybe 1 in 6 or 7 downshifts. Doesnt matter where in the rev range so far, it just flat out doesnt work. I'll need to watch this more carefully I think.

Had my 10000km service, and I've already had my first bit of bad news - there's apparently an unrepairable puncture on one of the tyres - the only fix is to replace it

I really am struggling with that - I was hoping to ditch these, when they were done, to switch to Michelin PS4S due to the unbelievably loud noise these tyres put out.

For anyone reading this, how far did you get with your PZeros? I should go check the wear out properly...

Had my 10000km service, and I've already had my first bit of bad news - there's apparently an unrepairable puncture on one of the tyres - the only fix is to replace it

I really am struggling with that - I was hoping to ditch these, when they were done, to switch to Michelin PS4S due to the unbelievably loud noise these tyres put out.

For anyone reading this, how far did you get with your PZeros? I should go check the wear out properly...
Very annoying, sorry to hear the bad news, living in a regional area this is one of my worst fears.

If your looking to replace the Pirelli's for the Michelins, get a price from Costco to supply them and have them fitted elsewhere, may save you some coin.

I'm looking at ditching them with sufficient tread to sell, so at 5000km.

Last edited:
There's plenty of tread on the tyres, probably good for at least another 5000-7500 or so.

Ah well, off to start getting prices for 4S's. Half tempted to buy the Hyundai 19" wheels at the same time, but I have no need for that.

@Xcelr8 hows the car going btw? Enjoying it?

There's plenty of tread on the tyres, probably good for at least another 5000-7500 or so.

Ah well, off to start getting prices for 4S's. Half tempted to buy the Hyundai 19" wheels at the same time, but I have no need for that.

@Xcelr8 hows the car going btw? Enjoying it?
I was quoted $380''Ć­sh for the 4S's at Costco...

@LordPave L O V I N G I T - Seats are fine after a couple of months with my fat arse in them. Wish fuel would go further, but looking forward to getting to Melbourne to give it a bit of a run.

Last edited:
I was quoted $380''Ć­sh for the 4S's at Costco...

@LordPave L O V I N G I T - Seats are fine after a couple of months with my fat arse in them. Wish fuel would go further, but looking forward to getting to Melbourne to give it a bit of a run.

Ah yeah - I also wish that it had a bigger tank.

ATM, my average is sitting at 9.6l/100km, but I expect that to continue climbing as my sanity keeping drives tend to take me on punt road around the little turn to get onto the Eastern freeway, or accelerating in a spirited fashion from Warrigal rd onto the Monash.

Glad to hear that you're loving it though. You got a good car!

Ah yeah - I also wish that it had a bigger tank.

ATM, my average is sitting at 9.6l/100km, but I expect that to continue climbing as my sanity keeping drives tend to take me on punt road around the little turn to get onto the Eastern freeway, or accelerating in a spirited fashion from Warrigal rd onto the Monash.

Glad to hear that you're loving it though. You got a good car!
Take care, sorry about the tyre issue.

Well I finally bit the bullet and put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's on the car.

Firstly, I went to MK Motorsports (https://mkmotorsports.com.au/) over in Clayton for them. Cost me $340ish/tyre, after the $100 rebate from Michelin. Cheapest I could find the tyre to be honest. Booked it in, was I guess the first car there so they turned it around in an hour which I wasnt quite expecting. The single biggest problem is the collection of Rays wheels they have, for which I now have a a list of wheels I want to see the costs for and probably cry (First set, second set and third set - all preferred in dark grey/black). But, if I can track this car then some stickier track oriented rubber would be beneficial and preferable to damaging to the day-to-day tyres.

As for the how the car is now, this should honestly be the tyre the car comes with. Firstly, I find it has a lot more compliance in the ride for most small to moderate type bumps. Big potholes or very sharp speed bumps (those very narrow metal ones in car parks as an example) are a touch more harsh.

In the dry, the grip is seriously good - I dont need to wait for it to warm up to give me confidence to push, but when it is warm its definitely a very strong tyre.

In the wet, its a lot more surefooted than the OEM Pirellis, more confidence inspiring.

If you can, replacing these tyres is a no-brainer. Oh, as a bonus, the OEM PZ4s were showing as more expensive than these PS4S tyres, so even more so of a no-brainer.

[edit]

Clarity on costs.

Last edited: