• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

My thoughts on the Veloster N PP coming from a MK7 Golf R

Was the pre load already adjusted on this? (I know you can adjust manually) and how much are you recirculating? Fully?
They come with preload adjustment screwed all the way in -- and the manual recommends running it as tight as you can as long as you don't get flutter on lift above 3K RPM. I don't, so I run it this way.

Yes, fully recirculating -- I am not a fan of the blow-off noise on a daily basis.

Crocoman

They come with preload adjustment screwed all the way in -- and the manual recommends running it as tight as you can as long as you don't get flutter on lift above 3K RPM. I don't, so I run it this way.

Yes, fully recirculating -- I am not a fan of the blow-off noise on a daily basis.
Thanks for clarifying that mate:cool:

An aftermarket Blow Off Valve (BOV) is generally used in higher boost applications than what is used in VN. The OEM boost valve can't handle higher boost, without damaging the diaphragm. With this said, it also aids in quicker boost recovery, during shifts and is certain more reliable and precise.

I've had a handful of M cars and am coming from a MK7 GTI PP, this car is not only significantly sharper than the MK7 but has more intangible "weight" to the ride, it is authoritative on road in a way the VW just doesn't feel.

The throttle response is far better now that the Veloster is broken in, but I also drive the car much harder than I did the GTI as my commute has changed.

Great information here, thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences. Oddly enough I am cross-shopping the VN against Rs (used ones that is).

I've lusted after a Golf R since the introduction of the R32 in '04. Just barely chose a mkVI TDI over one in 2013. In my opinion the mkVI R was good not great. Didn't make VR6 sounds, didn't have a ton of power, was horribly inefficient. The mkVII mostly fixed that.

I had a 2016 6MT R Turo rental for a little over a week and frankly loved it, but you completely nailed the short comings of the controls and character of the car. I fell in love with the R32, but the modern R feels (and is priced) to be Audi-Lite instead of VW-Hardcore. It's a wonderfully competent daily driver, but not something I would sit at my desk and daydream about driving.

So, thanks for reminding me that the R is not what I'm looking for. Hopefully I can finally secure a V-N test drive and see what the fuss is about.

So I picked up a pedal tuner to try out. I really think the R needed it. Improved the response greatly and removed the dead spot at initial tip in. I'm not convinced it's needed for the N, however. It seems ok in normal mode, but in sport and N mode, even at its lowest setting, it removes the linear feel of the pedal. The dead spot is maybe half of what the R has, so it's already tolerable. I miss the throttle modulation that's missing without the linear input...