• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i20N - Reviews, General Discussion & Info

As an ex GT86 owner I would agree the i20N will be probably be more fun on the public road,whereas the GT86 might be better for track days.
The Toyota/Subaru had many good points but I thought its new price was on the high side and it’s now showing it’s age ,the engine in particular was gutless in the mid range.
i don’t think you will regret the N….and far more practical too.

Yes i agree! Don't get me wrong it's got the ingredients to be an amazing car but as you say the engine is a characterless turd. I shouldn't of bought a 2nd plus the new GR86 is just a heavy facelift although i do wish i had the new engine lol. I preferred the 86 tbh, much less understeer prone. Can't wait to get back into a proper old skool Hot hatch which suits Britain's roads better i think..Thanks for the reply.

I'm replacing my 19 BRZ and had an 86 before that with an i20N. Have only sat in one so buying blind without test drive. I thought about the i30N but when reveiewers are saying its Hyundai's best drivers car now and with it being like an old skool hot hatch that swayed my chioce. Have been given so much grief by other 86,BRZ owners saying how can you go from a bespoke sports car to an FWD chav mobile with a torsion beam. I explained to them little do they know how much fun a light weight hot hatch can be..my old Clio 16v from back in the day was more fun than my current car by a long way...
Good old fashioned jealousy, period.

Reactions: PatBateman
I'm replacing my 19 BRZ and had an 86 before that with an i20N. Have only sat in one so buying blind without test drive. I thought about the i30N but when reveiewers are saying its Hyundai's best drivers car now and with it being like an old skool hot hatch that swayed my chioce. Have been given so much grief by other 86,BRZ owners saying how can you go from a bespoke sports car to an FWD chav mobile with a torsion beam. I explained to them little do they know how much fun a light weight hot hatch can be..my old Clio 16v from back in the day was more fun than my current car by a long way...

Genuine question, what’s bespoke about a GT86?

Ha! Quite i think it wasn't bespoke really as it's based on a wrx platform i think or some other Subaru platform..

Ah ok! I guess maybe because it doesn’t have a ‘standard’ version like the i20 and the i30?

Little review on YouTube at the moment suggesting that replacing the crappy Pirelli tyres for another brand would invalidate the warranty sounds like a load of old tosh.
was looking to get rid of asap for a set of michelin.
save the Pirelli as spares for the rear.

Reactions: SteveDek
Little review on YouTube at the moment suggesting that replacing the crappy Pirelli tyres for another brand would invalidate the warranty sounds like a load of old tosh.
Yeah how can having a different set of tyres invalidate the warranty! What part of the warranty could be invalidated?? Sounds like a load of BS! 😆

• Haha
Reactions: SteveNi20 and Toxic
yeah never heard such a load of old pony…😂
Pirelli tyres have got me out of many tricky situations in the past, as have Michelin’s. I have no intention to change the tyres when I get mine, waste of a few hundred pounds imho.

Reactions: NTastic!
Pirelli tyres have got me out of many tricky situations in the past, as have Michelin’s. I have no intention to change the tyres when I get mine, waste of a few hundred pounds imho.
Had the p-zeros on my i30n in the damp or wet were horrible if they’re the same on the 20 I’m getting rid for sure ..They really were that bad made the car almost undrivable In winter conditions.

Reactions: mikeo and _Emma
As above.

Only my personal opinion. But...
P-zero's ok in the dry (besides wear rate) but I too have found them not that great in the wet (especially if it gets a bit colder). Just changed to Goodyear Asymmetric 5's. And in the damp / slimy roads round here at the moment (rural SW Scotland) the front end now gives me much more confidence. BIG thread on the I30N/tyres sub forum. But each to their own.

I've seen someone on the I30N forum make a similar comment regarding the HN P-zero's tyres and that changing them to another make invalidates your warranty. Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me.

Reactions: SteveNi20 and _Emma
Have been given so much grief by other 86,BRZ owners saying how can you go from a bespoke sports car to an FWD chav mobile with a torsion beam.

Giving grief isn't right, nor is calling the i20 N a 'chav mobile', but maybe they have a point. The GT86 (like the MX-5) is one of the very few 'affordable' cars on the market which isn't built on a granny shopping car. I've got an ND myself, and there's a snowballs chance of me giving up a light, rear wheel drive, independent multi linked suspension car, built on its own platform, for a FWD torsion beamer. I'm considering an i20 N myself as a possible replacement for another car in the family.
However, the '86 (and ND) are of course totally different cars to the i20 N (and its cousins) so not the best comparison in the first place. But still a real world, worthy one in a way, because people don't necessarily keep to the same 'type' of car when they get their next one, but of course still make comparisons.

Giving grief isn't right, nor is calling the i20 N a 'chav mobile', but maybe they have a point. The GT86 (like the MX-5) is one of the very few 'affordable' cars on the market which isn't built on a granny shopping car. I've got an ND myself, and there's a snowballs chance of me giving up a light, rear wheel drive, independent multi linked suspension car, built on its own platform, for a FWD torsion beamer. I'm considering an i20 N myself as a possible replacement for another car in the family.
However, the '86 (and ND) are of course totally different cars to the i20 N (and its cousins) so not the best comparison in the first place. But still a real world, worthy one in a way, because people don't necessarily keep to the same 'type' of car when they get their next one, but of course still make comparisons.

Yep can't wait to get my i20N in Jan! Totally different car my BRZ but i've got a feeling the i20 will put a bigger smile on my face. As for RWD sports cars i always regret not going for an ND instead of the BRZ when i replaced my GT86. From those who own them, they've always said the ND has much more character then the FT86 cars..

As above.

Only my personal opinion. But...
P-zero's ok in the dry (besides wear rate) but I too have found them not that great in the wet (especially if it gets a bit colder). Just changed to Goodyear Asymmetric 5's. And in the damp / slimy roads round here at the moment (rural SW Scotland) the front end now gives me much more confidence. BIG thread on the I30N/tyres sub forum. But each to their own.

I've seen someone on the I30N forum make a similar comment regarding the HN P-zero's tyres and that changing them to another make invalidates your warranty. Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me.

I have to say I agree. Had PZero's on my old Abarth (595 Pista or Tropheo in the UK) and they have the same problem as the ones that came with my Dragon Red: great in the dry, awful in the wet.
I won't change them right away, but once they're gone, I'm getting some different tyres. Goodyear Assy 5's or PS4's.

I have to say I agree. Had PZero's on my old Abarth (595 Pista or Tropheo in the UK) and they have the same problem as the ones that came with my Dragon Red: great in the dry, awful in the wet.
I won't change them right away, but once they're gone, I'm getting some different tyres. Goodyear Assy 5's or PS4's.

I don't know the full story and apologies if already mentioned on this thread but aren't the PZero's specifically made for the i20N? If they're not so great in the wet does that mean they were designed for drier climates in europe/asia?

Weird how people have different experiences. I’ve always rated the PZero’s in both the wet and the dry, unless the tailor made ones for the i20N are very different🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know the full story and apologies if already mentioned on this thread but aren't the PZero's specifically made for the i20N? If they're not so great in the wet does that mean they were designed for drier climates in europe/asia?
Yes especially made as track focused tyre in the dry to get maximum lap times not as an all-round tyre.
That’s why they are so hopeless in anything other than dry conditions only really designed for a hot dry track.

Yes especially made as track focused tyre in the dry to get maximum lap times not as an all-round tyre.
That’s why they are so hopeless in anything other than dry conditions only really designed for a hot dry track.
I’ll keep mine on, great tyres.