• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Gearbox Oil Change

IamRy

Nthusiast
Jan 6, 2019
SW UK
My car is coming up to its 12 month service which I can get for £145 by booking online. I presume this service is just the bog standard engine oil change and the pointless visual health check but has anyone had a dealer change the gearbox oil as part of a service and if so, what were they charged for it? The cost will have a big bearing on my decision as I don't have access to any sort of ramp and I can't find the recommended oil in realistic quantities to do it myself anyway.

I know the gearbox has a much longer service interval than the engine but I am hoping that an oil change might aid with the final little bit of stickiness into 5th and 6th, which has improved dramatically over the last 2000 miles, but I still get occasionally. It also seems logical after breaking the car in that you would service the gearbox much like how you might opt to do a 1500 mile engine oil change, right?

Feel free to tell me that it is pointless e.g. "the oil will last 100k miles" or whatever, if you are privy to any information.

Cheers

Reactions: R Veloster N
It's never pointless. Changing OEM gearbox lube is a good idea especially to a better brand like Motul. I don't know how many kms your at but you can request it and they'll say, you don't need to until 60 km. However you can request it. Have them change it with, MOTUL 1L TRANSMISSION GEAR 300 75W90 – SYNTHETIC ESTER, MOTYLGEAR 75W-90 or an equivalent that you provide.

https://www.motul.com/au/en/productscountry_name=au&facets%5Brange%5D=25&locale_name=en

Last edited:
I would change mine too but my dealer doesn't allow you to bring your own oil. They refuse to use anything other than what Hyundai has told them to. Even if I pay for it and they buy it. They own every single Hyundai dealership in the country so can't go to the competition either. Also can't use a third party shop or do it myself because they won't approve any warranty claims after that (despite the law forbidding this). So my options are to play their game or do it my way and have to potentially sue them afterwards if a warranty issue comes up. Fun times...

You better change the dealer. My dealer changed the oil of my gearbox twice (gearbox has been removed twice) and they did not have any problems when I asked them to use all the oils from bottles I left them. Motul brake fluid and Millers engine oil + trans fluid.

I think in the EU, as long as the specs are on-par or above what's recommended (ACEA C2, 0W30 in my manual) you're allowed to give them any oil that you want to do the oil-change with.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarmoT
I think in the EU, as long as the specs are on-par or above what's recommended (ACEA C2, 0W30 in my manual) you're allowed to give them any oil that you want to do the oil-change with. (GB is still in the EU, right?)
That is correct but if the dealer refuses to follow the law, you have to sue them. You'll win but the time and money needed to do that makes most people give up. And in my case I would destroy any relationship with the company that owns every single Hyundai dealership in the country. The only thing I could get away with doing elsewhere is brake pads and discs replacement, because I'll keep the factory ones (with a bit of life left). That way I can change them back if a brake related warranty issue ever pops up.
They've got a monopoly on the new Hyundai market here. The government fined them 15 million euro a few years ago so they changed the names of half the dealerships and "sold" them to other companies (that they control). That way on paper there is no foul play. They make so much money that no fine can scare them. Only way to win is to sue. Thankfully they don't jack up the prices too much and follow Hyundai guidelines for profit margins. Working on your own new car or servicing it out of the dealership is frowned upon here.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
A warranty is not law. It's simply a manufacturer's specification. Any like specification oil, gear lube , grease is permissible as long as it meets or exceeds their individual specification.

A warranty is not law. It's simply a manufacturer's specification. Any like specification oil, gear lube , grease is permissible as long as it meets or exceeds their individual specification.
I've seen them use the bullshit argument that the warranty is void if the work is not done by a Hyundai technician.As for the materials used (ex. oil, brake pads etc.), they argue that unless they are the ones that provide them, they can't be sure of the quality. On my last car I bought the OEM brake pads myself online. They came in a proper box and everything. The dealer refused to install them because they could be fakes. Which is complete bullshit because I showed them paperwork from the supplier.
I envy you guys who don't have to deal with this "money hungry" bullshit and can do the work yourself.

Nothing happens with your warranty if you will change the oil of gearbox somewhere else. Go to some trusted company and change it there. If spec of oil is the same you dont need to do it in Hyunday.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Nothing happens with your warranty if you will change the oil of gearbox somewhere else. Go to some trusted company and change it there. If spec of oil is the same you dont need to do it in Hyunday.
Serbia, perhaps?

I know, not really a great option but would it be worth the ~2 hour drive?
The entire issue comes from the dealer being an asshole that wants to take your money at every opportunity. I've had dealers refuse to file a completely valid warranty claim because they know I've had work done at an independant shop. Doesn't matter if I used recommended fluids or not. Only way to win is to sue them. Which is a long and expensive process.

I apologise for the rant I've been having on this thread. Guess I needed to vent a little :D

That's understandable. What you could probably to is write to Hyundai directly and tell them that this dealer network is breaking EU law and/or contact them that you're having problems with the dealer trying to overcharge you and not letting you use your own oil even though it's within spec.

Reactions: s.arhangelov
Thanks for the advice everyone. it's nice to see that I'm not just being pedantic with maintenance.

I'm glad R Veloster N also recommended some oil as that was going to be my next question It seems that the Motul is readily available in smaller quantities than the 250L drums I was seeing for the other brands recommended in the manual.

I guess I'll ring a few local dealers and ask if they would do a change with the oil I supply them. It always baffles me that the would refuse to use a higher quality product like Motul.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but I am struggling to actually locate a suitable oil that complies with the specification in the manual. It requires API GL-4, SAE 70W which I believe is very low viscosity.

Using the oil recommendation tool on the manufacturer websites yields further confusion with the following suggestions being made:
While both lubricants are rated at the correct GL-4, neither complies with the 70W viscosity and strangely the Motul recommendation is actually for DCT transmissions (although it says it can be used in some trans-axles).

While I have no doubt that either oil would work well and that 75W is incredibly similar to 70W, I am very conscious that any deviation from manufacturer specification could result in trouble if my gearbox grenades in the future.

It seems that the Shell Spirax S6 GHME MTF (H for Hyundai) can only be bought directly from Hyundai themselves and there is next to no information about it. Even Shell do not seem to offer any other 70W for general sale.

Reactions: jeroenvde