• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Gearbox Oil Change

IamRy

Nthusiast
Jan 6, 2019
SW UK
I was told the gearbox service interval was 60k miles in the UK. Our normal service regime is slightly different than Europe anyway, with them being 10k/12 months.

I'm willing to bet that 60k would be fine as our gearbox is certainly nothing special but I wanted to do a service early on in the life of the car to account for the wear process.

Cavaco90

Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
Guys, according to the manual, the amount of gearbox oil is 1.8L, is this info correct? Which means 2 of these bottles (some remain of course), labour and i'll be happy. Problem, the dealer is quoting me, off record, 140€ (at least) for everything saying that the oil is expensive and requires many liters (he mentioned 4...not joking) so i think i'm not going to leave this job to them :\

IamRy

Nthusiast
Jan 6, 2019
SW UK
It cost me £39 including letting the dealer source the correct oil (they ordered 3L). Tell them to stop messing you about and give you a proper quote.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

Reddave

Jun 24, 2020
Washington, USA
The reason gearboxes and axles oil does not need changing as often is that the oil is not being contaminated by the igniting of fuel. Plus the engine temperature is a lot higher than that of gearboxes and axles.
I still change my oil more than the manufacturers recommendations. Dave

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Welcome to the forum and please take the time to introduce yourself here;
Also please read the forum rules here;
Make sure you utilize the search engine often, to locate specific topics of interest and discussions. It will help the forum staff to keep down duplications of discussions, having to merge posts and eliminate threads.
Gear oil weight and viscosity, is the primary reason diff and gearbox oil is not changed as frequently. :)

Enjoy the forum there a ton of information to glean thru.:)

Last edited:

PaulD

Nthusiast
Dec 16, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all
I have a notchy 1st gear, and the usual 5th to 6th difficulty sometimes - i have 16,000km, and it hasn't really gotten better with age.
Anyone tried Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75? Seems to meet all the technical requirements of the oil, and numerous reviewers saying this resolved their difficult shifts in the Tremec gearbox in Holden/HSV V8s, infamous for stubborn shifting.
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-70w-75-full-syn
I'm keen to try a different gear oil, and see how the shift feels. Really don't want the dealership removing the gearbox when the problem can be improved with better fluids.
Edit - sorry, i see this is a UK specific thread, so Penrite (Australian brand) may not be relevant - but Redline and Motul have similar products in similar specs.