• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Do we know the limits of the stock block/internals?

Gotcha, what have you seen regarding the robustness of the stock clutch?
Torque limiting with the MT, is ECU torque limited. The MT will take most all bolt on modifications with the exception of an upgraded turbo. Using it reasonably as a daily and with this in mind, it doesn't mean; power shifting, clutchless shifting, continuously launching or even anything more than the occasional track day usage.

It wasn't made for such use to begin with and constitutes owner abuse. So it's reasonable to say, the clutch won't last very long if the owner is constantly doing what I've already mentioned. With the DCT, it will be far more prevalent, recorded and easier to detect.

There are to many signs which can demonstrate abuse. Most of which owners aren't aware or don't have access to.

Take for instance; torque limiting in the DCT; The owner approaches and briefly surpasses the torque limiters in the DCT/TCU and ECU. Such information is recorded in EDR (Black Box), TCU and ECU logs. Plus, it will throw the car into limp mode, with a trouble code being recorded each and every time. If a modified VN DCT is surpassing 337 ft lbs of torque regularly, it will be easy to detect.

If an engineer suspects tampering, they just go into the logs and look for where the car thru a trouble code, went into limp mode, number of time and at what rpm. They can check logged boost pressures, as well as overboost conditions etc. Once they start looking for an issue like this, they'll just keep looking until they find what they need.

All this adds up to, a denied warranty claim and money out of the owners pocket. The owner may have a reasonable dealership service that allows some modifications but they won't warranty abuse.

Reactions: newbtostandard
Damn the DCT slips with that little torque lol. I have heard the stock clutch for the shifty bois is like 360wtq or so. Maybe a bit more but it'll drastically reduce material life. I figured the DCT would be even more robust that the manual.
Well it is during launch control because I usually just spin if I'm don't use launch control but I don't feel as hard of a shift when going to 2nd on launch control due to the fact it seems to be slipping and gradually grips.

Torque limiting with the MT, is ECU torque limited. The MT will take most all bolt on modifications with the exception of an upgraded turbo. Using it reasonably as a daily and with this in mind, it doesn't mean; power shifting, clutchless shifting, continuously launching or even anything more than the occasional track day usage.

It wasn't made for such use to begin with and constitutes owner abuse. So it's reasonable to say, the clutch won't last very long if the owner is constantly doing what I've already mentioned. With the DCT, it will be far more prevalent, recorded and easier to detect.

There are to many signs which can demonstrate abuse. Most of which owners aren't aware or don't have access to.

Take for instance; torque limiting in the DCT; The owner approaches and briefly surpasses the torque limiters in the DCT/TCU and ECU. Such information is recorded in EDR (Black Box), TCU and ECU logs. Plus, it will throw the car into limp mode, with a trouble code being recorded each and every time. If a modified VN DCT is surpassing 337 ft lbs of torque regularly, it will be easy to detect.

If an engineer suspects tampering, they just go into the logs and look for where the car thru a trouble code, went into limp mode, number of time and at what rpm. They can check logged boost pressures, as well as overboost conditions etc. Once they start looking for an issue like this, they'll just keep looking until they find what they need.

All this adds up to, a denied warranty claim and money out of the owners pocket. The owner may have a reasonable dealership service that allows some modifications but they won't warranty abuse.
I got a dealer. For those situations. Although I'd rather not get to that point

It will with caution. It will even handle a bigger turbo but not missed shifts or shifts by accident to a lower gear under WOT.😁

Boost is the issue here. Going beyond 21 psi is not a good idea with the OEM internals. There's plenty of information throughout the forum to answer your questions. Be sure to utilize the search engine at the top of the page, to avoid any duplications in on-going threads. The forum staff, will quietly thank you!

Stay away from the DCT, if you're planning to modify the VN beyond it's design parameters. I don't believe the DCT is robust enough to handle most of them.:)

Make sure you take the time to introduce yourself to the members and please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules;
Idk man I have a 21 DCT and I have an upgraded turbo and tune ect and dyno I’m pushing 345 whp and have put 52k on my car and no issues at all ! Stock clutch also which yeah it slips seldomly so going to swap that out but all in all it’s been handling very well ! Maybe beyond where I’m at might have some issues but stock turbo I was pushing 22psi on JB4 no issues then upgraded and am pushing 28-30 psi no issues

Idk man I have a 21 DCT and I have an upgraded turbo and tune ect and dyno I’m pushing 345 whp and have put 52k on my car and no issues at all ! Stock clutch also which yeah it slips seldomly so going to swap that out but all in all it’s been handling very well ! Maybe beyond where I’m at might have some issues but stock turbo I was pushing 22psi on JB4 no issues then upgraded and am pushing 28-30 psi no issues
I do know. Dynamometer chart please, for your DCT.

You’re not pushing 28-30 psi boost making 345 whp. This would put you considerably above a target 345 whp. It also takes far more than just a turbo swap and tune to reach 345 whp.

Show me your data logging for peak boost?

Then, there’s a cooling problem with the DCT as noted by SXTH ELEMENT and others.

Misprint, on psi which should be 31 psi (fixed).

There are no upgraded clutches for a DCT.👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
Yes - the question is how safe and reliable that is in the long term. I even asked one of the engineers from N department what the limits of our DTC`s - he couldn't say, but did point out that Torque is always the factor that is of concern as one of you guys also stated in this thread

If I unverstanden the Guys from Klasen right, then they have driven a lot of kilometers only to test the reliability of their ecu setup.
The Stage 1 tuning with 380Hp comes with german TUV.

If I unverstanden the Guys from Klasen right, then they have driven a lot of kilometers only to test the reliability of their ecu setup.
The Stage 1 tuning with 380Hp comes with german TUV.
Yes which should prove they know what they are doing. They are also selling an upgrade for the DCT. Try said that 520 Nm of torgue is too much for stock DCT and it slips. So for other stages they are offering this should be a mandatory upgrade