• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Close to buying a 2018 I30N

FG4U2NV

Dec 17, 2020
scotland
Hi all

New around here so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

bit about me, currently drive a 2016 2.0 Audi TT S line. Its a great car, beautiful interior and exterior and is actually pretty quick! Been looking around for a while for a new car now. Had a look at golf Rs and M140is but realistically being 23 and saving for a house these aren’t smart choices.

Then stumbled across the i30N and I seriously love this car. I went and looked at a brand new one at my local garage and loved everything about it (only gripe is the plasticky interior). Blown away by the amount of things you get as “standard” in comparison to big badges such as Audi, BMW, Merc.

really just curious to see what people’s genuine opinions are of it and don’t just tell me its amazing! 😂
  • realistic MPG?
  • Are the tyres really bad to the point I should change for winter? This is extra cost i dont particularly want (Live in Scotland).
  • Longevity of brakes & brake pads? - obviously differs on how you drive but my TT had 18k on the clock and was 3 years old when I bought it and 3 months later I had to replace All the pads and discs.
  • Is normal driving comfortable?
  • How bad are the speakers as I’ve heard mixed reviews?​
Im looking to purchase an 18 plate with 13k on the clock in white, going for a proper test drive on Sunday.

Lastly, the first thing on my mind is making the silver Hyundai badges black, does anyone have any tips on doing this?

thanks!

Reactions: GazmaN
  • 32mpg, mine is terrible, that’s motorway mainly too.
  • Yep. Change them.
  • Had mine over 2.5years now and brakes down 40% on my last service *but* I mainly do motorway driving.
  • Yep, normal driving is comfy. I tend to use N mode exclusively
  • The speakers are ok enough for me, but I’m not fussed. They play music 😂

Buy the covers for the badges, but they’re a bit of a pain to get.There’s a whole thread on them, or other ways to do it (think it’s called a ‘Black Hyundai Badges’).

• 32mpg, mine is terrible, that’s motorway mainly too.
  • Yep. Change them.
  • Had mine over 2.5years now and brakes down 40% on my last service *but* I mainly do motorway driving.
  • Yep, normal driving is comfy. I tend to use N mode exclusively
  • The speakers are ok enough for me, but I’m not fussed. They play music 😂

Buy the covers for the badges, but they’re a bit of a pain to get.There’s a whole thread on them, or other ways to do it (think it’s called a ‘Black Hyundai Badges’).

thanks for the reply! Good to know.

The tyre changing is slightly off putting extra expenditure tbh.

thanks for the reply! Good to know.

The tyre changing is slightly off putting extra expenditure tbh.

You can use the p zeros. I did 22k on my fronts then binned them. The rears are still going at nearly 44k. They’re better in warmer weather, and when it gets cold you get the horrible LSD juddery stuff, but if you can tolerate that, keep them! I’d probably use them until they needed changing, then swap out.

Hi all

bit about me, currently drive a 2016 2.0 Audi TT S line. Its a great car, beautiful interior and exterior and is actually pretty quick! Been looking around for a while for a new car now. Had a look at golf Rs and M140is but realistically being 23 and saving for a house these aren’t smart choices.

Then stumbled across the i30N and I seriously love this car. I went and looked at a brand new one at my local garage and loved everything about it (only gripe is the plasticky interior). Blown away by the amount of things you get as “standard” in comparison to big badges such as Audi, BMW, Merc.

really just curious to see what people’s genuine opinions are of it and don’t just tell me its amazing! 😂
  • realistic MPG?
  • Are the tyres really bad to the point I should change for winter? This is extra cost i dont particularly want (Live in Scotland).
  • Longevity of brakes & brake pads? - obviously differs on how you drive but my TT had 18k on the clock and was 3 years old when I bought it and 3 months later I had to replace All the pads and discs.
Im looking to purchase an 18 plate with 13k on the clock in white, going for a proper test drive on Sunday.

Lastly, the first thing on my mind is making the silver Hyundai badges black, does anyone have any tips on doing this?

thanks!
From a price point do it , their will always be better cars around but value for money they are great. You can always sell it , I have had mine for 18 months and could sell it for what I paid for it. Will not be selling it at this stage though. Could be tempted to a Yaris GR but they are at crazy prices at the moment. Do it

@FG4U2NV

Fuel consumption: 24.5 mpg with mainly suburban driving. Driven...purposefully (not babied; rarely thrashed). Far from frugal but I didn't buy it for this reason.

Brakes: approx. 8mm of pad remaining all round after two years, 17K km and one track day. Hyundai will tell you the rotors need replacing before it's really required.

Sound system: average. You can't sugar-coat it but I couldn't care less.

The much-maligned P Zeros: I have a different opinion than most and reckon it's a half-decent tyre but they've never seen cold here in Northern Australia. Shit in the wet. Surprisingly good on the track. Like @_Emma said - just flog 'em out and then replace them.

Normal driving comfort: yes, absolutely. Very easy to live with as a daily. Great all-rounder. If you get bored just tap that blue button and giggles will ensue.

It does nothing perfectly, but does everything more than adequately. Your test drive should confirm this - enjoy!

Lol. 27.3 mpg average here over 27000 miles. You're not trying hard enough!
Mines all motorway driving for that, I was trying to be optimistic 😂When I get to my parents it drops off considerably 😂 Milton Keynes driving it’s down to about 22 😂

Realistic MPG is high 20's as a "good" figure. The engine is an absolute stinker for being thirsty. Mahoosive thread on here for that subject.

PZero's will be okay if you drive to the conditions. But if its a 2018 and still on the originals I'd factor in changing them for something else more suitable anyway. Big thread on here for that subject.

Brakes wear absolutely normally, 2 years old and loads left on mine. Depends on the driving style as you say but shouldn't be a worry unless previous owner has driven like a wally.

Speakers are......not good. Easy and cheap to upgrade them if you wanted. Big thread on here for that subject.

Ride Comfort, more than comfortable for most of us. I actually run mine in Sport suspension setting in Custom Mode as I find Normal too "sloshy".

Just do the typical due diligence when buying a used car, if the tyres and brakes are bad then walk away and find another. Check if its been modded, any recalls done etc etc. Please don't take this the wrong way as certainly not tarring all with the same brush (I wish I was 23 again....) but judging by the escapades on the UK F/Book page these cars are very popular "wiv da yoof" and get thrashed about quite a bit.

Really the only point of concern for you may be fuel consumption, only you know what is acceptable. But get out and drive it and you probably won't care! :D

HOW?
Did you just float down the road or just never turn corners?! :p

I'm nearly exclusively motorway driving, so it's really not that heavy on them. Same with the brakes. I do 70 miles a day to work, and about 67 of those are motorway/main dual carriageway the rest is stuck in 30s or people doing 30 in a 60, then driving otherwise it's pretty much the same. I don't have the time to batter them properly all the time!

Realistic MPG is high 20's as a "good" figure. The engine is an absolute stinker for being thirsty. Mahoosive thread on here for that subject.

PZero's will be okay if you drive to the conditions. But if its a 2018 and still on the originals I'd factor in changing them for something else more suitable anyway. Big thread on here for that subject.

Brakes wear absolutely normally, 2 years old and loads left on mine. Depends on the driving style as you say but shouldn't be a worry unless previous owner has driven like a wally.

Speakers are......not good. Easy and cheap to upgrade them if you wanted. Big thread on here for that subject.

Ride Comfort, more than comfortable for most of us. I actually run mine in Sport suspension setting in Custom Mode as I find Normal too "sloshy".

Just do the typical due diligence when buying a used car, if the tyres and brakes are bad then walk away and find another. Check if its been modded, any recalls done etc etc. Please don't take this the wrong way as certainly not tarring all with the same brush (I wish I was 23 again....) but judging by the escapades on the UK F/Book page these cars are very popular "wiv da yoof" and get thrashed about quite a bit.

Really the only point of concern for you may be fuel consumption, only you know what is acceptable. But get out and drive it and you probably won't care! :D
Hi there

thanks for the reply that was really helpful. It seems that this car is a barrel of laughs and smiles with some unrefined parts (which i like)!

the MPG is slightly annoying but I currently get 30mpg in my TT so I don’t think I’ll notice it that much.
As you say - I’m definitely going to check the tyre and brake wear and go over every inch of the car.
Can you send me a link to the speaker change as that would definitely be something I’d want to do!

thanks again

Reactions: loafer-N77
Hi there

thanks for the reply that was really helpful. It seems that this car is a barrel of laughs and smiles with some unrefined parts (which i like)!

the MPG is slightly annoying but I currently get 30mpg in my TT so I don’t think I’ll notice it that much.
As you say - I’m definitely going to check the tyre and brake wear and go over every inch of the car.
Can you send me a link to the speaker change as that would definitely be something I’d want to do!

thanks again

No problem.

This is the main upgrade thread:

Sound Upgrade Thread

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Varied driving gives me about 32mpg, motorway about 35mpg.
Great fun to drive, I still smile every time I use it. No rattles or loose trim, I've done some work on the audio, added amp and subwoofer and rear speakers.
Very reliable to boot. Get one, you won't regret it.

Go drive it to experience if it suits you. While many say it is comfy enough, I personally don't like the ride in normal mode. It is on the sheer edge of what I find acceptable on a daily. Thats why I got myself an extra module to increase the comfort for daily drive. :)

Speakers are Terrible with the capital T. Worst system I have ever had on a car, if you really like music/sound. That is the final point I'm upgrading beginning next year. There is no bass, power, volume out of the stock system.

Reactions: R Veloster N
  • realistic MPG? depends on you and your driving. Sub 32 standard taking it easy, pushing it low 20s
  • Are the tyres really bad to the point I should change for winter? This is extra cost i dont particularly want (Live in Scotland). Lose the P zeros defiantly especially in damp / wet and 13k.
  • Longevity of brakes & brake pads? - obviously differs on how you drive but my TT had 18k on the clock and was 3 years old when I bought it and 3 months later I had to replace All the pads and discs. They are not "normal" pads / discs. They are uprated pagid items so should be up to the task. Should be fine for a while
  • Is normal driving comfortable? Yes defiantly
  • How bad are the speakers as I’ve heard mixed reviews? perfectly fine, i use apple car play ALOT and i have to say never had an issue. I would like to add a sub or something but you know what i wont as i cant be arsed i can live with it

Reactions: _Emma
Hi all

• realistic MPG?

thanks!

I’m on my 2nd I30N.

My 2018 plate had around 20,000 miles on the clock and I averaged 24mpg. Barely on the motorway and mostly short commuting to and from my wife’s work. So I’d say high 20’s is realistic if you have regular motorway miles to do.

My current N (2019 plate) is giving me even less mpg but my wife is no longer doing that commute and I’m literally using the car for really short journey’s (due to covid of course) so don’t me too put off by that.

I agree with replacing the PZero’s. On my new one, all 4 original tires are on the car but the LSD judder is profound when setting off out of the car park at low speed or after the car has been cold. When they are warm they are a great tyre but I live in Scotland too, and it’s going to be a long winter.....

At 20,000 miles my brakes and discs were still good.

I love driving this car fast or slow and in my opinion, it is comfortable in either guise.

In terms of the sound system - it depends on what you’ve come from. I’ve never had any complaints and think it’s fine (with some equaliser adjustments) but again, if your coming from a TT then it may be worse I suppose. Easy enough to upgrade if you want.

good luck with your choice.....

I got mine as a pre reg/demo just before the 1st lockdown in Scotland, now has just over 6k miles on it.

If I am taking it easy, even in traffic I can normally get the average to sit around 20-30mpg as my daily commute - On motorways/long journeys I can get that into the around 34-35mpg

The p-zero's are hopeless in the cold/wet, so you just have to drive to the conditions with them - leave the traction control on full to help stop axle hops.. I can spin them up in sport esc in 3rd gear on a greasy slip road.

Brakes, can't say how long they will last, but mines still look like new with 6k miles..

In full 'N' mode, it can be a little stiff on the crap roads around Glasgow/North Lanarkshire - solution is set a custom 'N' mode that has everything set to full, but suspension is set to standard - means you can switch from factory hard N mode to a comfort N mode easily. I was down south in August & drove for over 4 hours to get home in one go & it was more comfy than my wife's company car base spec A3.

Hardly listen to music in the car - but I can say the speakers are poor however you can EQ them to sound ok, the factory tweeters are overpowering & the mid bass lacks, so bass up & treble down helps.

Hope you have a good test drive.

I think I might be the exception on here but my average is currently 34.4 mpg drove to Torquay a couple of months ago on the M5 took it steady 44mpg, around North Somerset where I live driving around generally get low to mid 30s, you lot must be really enjoying your cars to be getting the averages your getting low twenties?? I might be selling mine in a couple of months it's polar white it will probably have around 5500 miles on it early March I would say, it's a 19 plate reg end June 2019 I'm 64 so you can imagine what sort of life it's had and it's condition, I will be looking for offers around £20,000, they are currently £22,000 at the dealers with a lot higher mileage than mine, let me know if anyone is interested obviously I will need the money up front or I will have to go the part exchange route as I will be getting an S3 or BMW 128Ti to replace it.

Another Scotland member here. I changed from a Golf GTI, probably with the same engine as your TT. MPG is far worse, probably as much as 10 mpg less. Fuel tank is very small and probably get over 100 miles less than GTI.

But it is a far more fun car, and the exhaust encourages you to rev it out and make it bang haha.

Tyres are fine, I do drive to the conditions however. The LSD shudder is a weird thing on full lock. Would it make me spend an extra £600 on Michelin's, I'm not sure. If anything, I'd downgrade to lightweight 18s with bigger sidewalls.

Stereo pretty average, and a step down from a VAG interior. However, you have many options like heated seats, steering wheel, electric chairs, reverse cameras.