• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Would you have bought an i30N in auto?

GlennM

Nthusiast
Sep 4, 2018
Belgium
Hi,

What do you guys think of the DCT that will be launched at the end of 2019?
Years I've been saying to myself that my next car will be a automatic since they seem to be very pleasant to drive.
The DCT for the i30n is still in development so at this time it's hard to tell if it's good, which I think it'll be.
Other enthousiast say they will stick to MT because it's more fun to drive.
Choises...

Glenn

Reactions: My White “N”
I also never owned an AT car, so I can't really compare and I don't think it has something to do with lazyness, at least not for my part.
I would still want to shift myself in certain conditions / moods / places so full automatic is a no go for me also and paddle shifters would be a requirement for me if I would go for the DCT.

Personally I'd be cautious of an automatic in the N, Hyundai aren't renowned for their automatics and considering DSG and PDK boxes still have their issues in higher powered cars I'd personally wait till some cars have put a lot of miles through the box before buying one myself

Well that's also something I'm a bit afraid off. New developed high precision parts tend to have some issues like my VW 2.0TSI engine (chain tensioner failure...$$$).
That's the main reason why I would buy a MT for the i30n.

As above, I think the manual suits the i30N nature, and enjoy stick-stirring again.

I've just come from three auto cars in a row, the last was an MCT which was pretty good, and suited that car.

Given how long the likes of VAG et al have had to get their double-clutch gearboxes where they are (and the PDK seems to be the best of the bunch), it'd be a big ask for Hyundai to nail it first time out.

Even BMW seem to be reverting to ZF autos now...

Last edited:
Reactions: Maverick
In busy traffic it's definitely a plus. And if it holds up under trackday stress it's a win too, easier to squeeze out the best laptime with an auto as more time can be use to concentrate on braking and apex kissing.
For my use, the manual with rev matching is plenty good enough and the engine's 'laufkultur' allows for cruising in 6th almost all the time. Up to now I haven't even needed to shift down from 6th to sting a tailgater on the motorway :cool:

Reactions: Maverick
@paul-h: AT will come and I don't think this is a bad thing. OK, maybe it'll be better to skip the 1th gen, but in terms of sales I can completely understand they want to add a DCT. Think about all the people that are buying a DSG from VW/Audi. If Hyundai can develop something that these German manufacturers have and steal a part of their customers , why shouldn't they do it?
More choice means more potential customers. More customers means more money and everyone knows this is all what matters for big companies.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hyundai-i30-n-dct-coming-in-2019-with-eight-speeds-124418.html

https://www.caradvice.com.au/632003/hyundai-i30-n-dual-clutch-auto-confirmed-for-late-2019/

Some of us "down under" discussed this very topic over a beer and burger yesterday. :D
I think our consensus was the AT will bring another wave of N drivers / owners to the Hyundai camp. These owners may not be as enthusiast as the current crop of owners and that is OK with me really. We also thought that the AT will give rise a greater number of i30N on the roads which will dilute the exclusivity enjoyed by those who currently have their cars. Unavoidable in any case. Hyundai will have to ramp up production big time to keep up with orders for the AT version IMO. VW Golf not longer selling MT in AUS so you can see Australian's prefer AT given that.
For me the main reason for buying the N was the manual trans. I was wavering between the Gti and the N. Once the Golf announced AT only then it was an easier decision. Warranty and the glowing reviews also sold me. :cool:

In my opinion, the engagement a driver has in such a car with a manual gearbox is on a different level, no matter how good the automatic is. Banging through the gears, having full and direct control, is way more satisfying.

Drove a fair share of DCT on Tucson, and it can be quite a comfortable thing, pretty efficient too, but as some people pointed out, that's not exactly why many of us buy such a car... and yes, DCT in performance cars is a somewhat bigger challenge. If they offered me the N with DCT with no price difference, I would probably at least take under consideration, but man, the MT with rev matching is just too sweet of a toy ;)

In busy traffic it's definitely a plus. And if it holds up under trackday stress it's a win too, easier to squeeze out the best laptime with an auto as more time can be use to concentrate on braking and apex kissing.
For my use, the manual with rev matching is plenty good enough and the engine's 'laufkultur' allows for cruising in 6th almost all the time. Up to now I haven't even needed to shift down from 6th to sting a tailgater on the motorway :cool:
I believe it was a video by Engineering Explained on YT, that pointed out a DCT doesn't exactly like traffic crawling, not too good for the transmission, so not sure if that's the benefit you should be looking for...

Reactions: Stash-N
I wouldn't even dare to name it DCT. Today's DCT transmissions would withstand such heavy pressure, so Hyundai will most likely come up with something really remarkable, first of its kind. Just look at the manual one, how much effort was put into this. And recent news about AR partnership? No way, they're releasing just "simple DCT"

Hyundai will most likely come up with something really remarkable, first of its kind. Just look at the manual one, how much effort was put into this.
Judging by the fact that a lot of people have trouble engaging 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th, I would say not a lot. Mine often doesn't go into 6th without an extra pull.

Reactions: dzartschyck
Judging by the fact that a lot of people have trouble engaging 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th, I would say not a lot. Mine often doesn't go into 6th without an extra pull.
I admit, I have troubles engaging 1st and 6th, but nothing to really complain about. I don't worry about that since this is also covered by the warranty.

If a duel auto clutch was available at launch would you have gone for that instead? I wouldn’t have personally, but I’ve been getting some stick from people who say I should of waited for the auto, hot hatches for me should always be a stick shift, or am I missing something here?

If a duel auto clutch was available at launch would you have gone for that instead? I wouldn’t have personally, but I’ve been getting some stick from people who say I should of waited for the auto, hot hatches for me should always be a stick shift, or am I missing something here?
I personally wanted the manual, and was going to get a manual in whatever hot hatch i decided on. This is my fun car, and I'm definitely loving the manual transmission and rev matching!

Having said that, i wouldn't shit on anyone that doesn't want the manual. There are going to be hot hatch enthusiasts that don't get on the track or probably get out of urban areas even, so if you just want something cool and sporty in city traffic, i suppose you'd just go with the dual clutch.

Also, there are plenty of people who don't drive manuals out there. I hadn't driven one for about 10 years before I got my N.

As for the people that say you should have waited... Yeah, nah, i don't think so ;)