• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine SXTH element engineering downpipe

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
SXTH element has finally opened preorders on their down pipe. They offer a catted and cat less version and a heatshield at an additional cost to replace the factory one. The problem is as of now it’s only available to customers who are members of their mailing list. So for the members who aren’t here’s some insider pics and pricing ;)

Cat less version is $629
Catted is $849

Both prices don’t include the 50$ heat shield and these are special preorder prices that will go up.
Also forgot to mention they come ceramic coated !
05F1B208-1F88-4ECC-B8ED-545F0240BAA5.jpeg8FAA3A4C-49FC-44E2-B717-D0BD0748E740.jpeg4BD52B58-1D7E-4A8F-A340-730CBDC9FDE6.jpeg

Thanks for posting it Chris!! Is it on the website yet? Sorry didn't read fully. I'll check my mail, thanks!!:oops:
Not a problem ! I’m 99% sure I’m getting the cat less option. Just trying to justify to myself the extra 50 for the shield

Go for it!!:D

Got the email but it wouldn't open the private site. Emailed them and left them a message.
I had the same issue at first try and reload the page. Or click the link in email then login in and refresh page again that’s what eventually worked for me

I’m assuming a gpf is just a global name for what we call catalytic converters over here state side? But anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong
No it‘s not the catalytic converter.
Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) are an emission aftertreatment technology based on diesel particulate filters (DPF), developed to control particulate emissions from gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines.
This new part is mandatory for European Union since 2018 for all new produced cars.

I'll wait for people to test out the catted version, make sure no CEL's come on, and see how they perform, then I'll be ordering one!

I would go catless but I don't want my car to sound obnoxious :)

In the UK I suppose you could fit a straight through scaffold pole connected to the headers if you wanted for the first 3 years, you could get stopped by the Police or The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) so your taking a risk.

Then after 3 years it's time for the MOT and any sign of the GPF, PPF or OPF or whatever you want to call it has been tampered with or removed then your looking at £1000 fine and no MOT cert.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) tightened their act up on this issue because diesel car and van owner's were were removing the guts out of the filter because it was blocked but as long as the shell of the DPF was visible then it passed the MOT.

Its Euro 6 compliance for direct injected petrol engines because of the extra particulates the engine emits.

Last edited:
AFAIK the veloster N doesn’t come with a GPF since it’s not necessary for the markets where it’s sold. The i30N is another story.

A GPF needs to be serviced every 80K as a Catalytic Converter does not and should last the life of the engine.Remove the GPF guts and you ought to be able to increase horsepower.

A GPF is far more restrictive than a CAT. The GPF is just something else that requires maintenance and more expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS
A diesel particulate filter may need replacing around 80,000 miles because it gets clogged with soot/ash due to short journeys and insufficient regen but a GPF should last the life of the car as petrol engines run hotter than diesel's and the GPF has the advantage of not clogging, the filter cleans itself continuously, and not only when it is clogged like a diesel.

GPF regeneration is performed in throttle lift off meaning that regen is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the ECU alters the timing making it lean. This lean burn increases oxygen and so the GPF operating temperature, allowing a regen to occur.

We have no choice regarding the GPF since Sept 2018, it's the EU directive for cleaning up the EUROPEAN Union's air.

One day it will be a requirement worldwide for GDI engined vehicles, almost certain!

Also if brexit happens here then nothing will change because only now ppl are realizing that we are destroying the planet, sorry.

Last edited:
A diesel particulate filter may need replacing around 80,000 miles because it gets clogged with soot/ash due to short journeys and insufficient regen but a GPF should last the life of the car as petrol engines run hotter than diesel's and the GPF has the advantage of not clogging, the filter cleans itself continuously, and not only when it is clogged like a diesel.

GPF regeneration is performed in throttle lift off meaning that regen is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the ECU alters the timing making it lean. This lean burn increases oxygen and so the GPF operating temperature, allowing a regen to occur.

We have no choice regarding the GPF since Sept 2018, it's the EU directive for cleaning up the EUROPEAN Union's air.

One day it will be a requirement worldwide for GDI engined vehicles, almost certain!

Also if brexit happens here then nothing will change because only now ppl are realizing that we are destroying the planet, sorry.

Having a CAT is also a legal requirement, however there is plenty of people de-catting their cars on a daily basis (various makes and models). The same will happen with GPF's, there is always people seeking that extra bit of performance or sound and will take the risks.