• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Run in period

Olitom32

Feb 5, 2018
Hertfordshire
During the run in period of my car would I be able to complete a 100 mile motorway journey. It will be during rush hour so most likely to be slow moving traffic for the majority of the way. Would this be possible or is it asking for problems?

During the run in period of my car would I be able to complete a 100 mile motorway journey. It will be during rush hour so most likely to be slow moving traffic for the majority of the way. Would this be possible or is it asking for problems?
Should be OK at slower motorway speeds.

The best advice I've seen is to vary your engine speed. Even if the car is moving at constant speed you can change gear every now an then then try to accelerate and slow down a little as traffic allows. It's not really the speed that's the issue it's the engine rpm.

High speed on the motorway would not be good since you would not be able to drop a gear without going over 3000rpm, but slower speeds should be fine.

Reactions: Olitom32
I guess if you was to change your speed between 50 and 75 on the motorway every couple mins you should be fine. Or, on your satnav on the way home just click avoid motorways and duel carridgeways.

I haven't run i a new engine before, and I was just reading some articles that recommend changing the oil after anywhere from 20 to 50 to 100 miles and then again at the end of the break in period.

Have any of you done this, and do you think it is necessary despite not being mentioned in the manual?

Subarus used to be filled with special thin running-in oil which had to be changed at 1000 miles. I haven't heard of such a thing with the i30N. Modern manufacturing tolerances are much improved so there are no corners to knock off. 20 / 50 / 100 miles is far too short imo. If anything, change at 600 miles if it makes you feel better, you could look at the oil condition and make a judgement. But as it's not mentioned in the manual, and you have a 5 year warranty, I would wait for the first 6000 mile oil change.

Yeah, unless there is a lot of metal glitter in it, it seems a bit extreme... but on the other hand, won't hurt to have a look.

I just increased the revs to 5k until i had completed 1000mls.. Then used all that's available when needed... Others on here will tell you different .. But I'm old school.

Reactions: asd
I'm very old school / patient. 1000 miles <3000 rpm: 2000 m / 4000 rpm: 3000 m 5000 rpm, etc. Even at 3000 rpm I can do a bit of overtaking so I'm happy.

Reactions: KevinM
so I've hit 600 miles today, I must say I have had the car over 3k rpm on a few occasions.

Am I OK to now just play with it now and not worry about the rpm?

Yes, I went wild. Car feels unreal.

Not even hit 200 miles yet and its so difficult to keep it under 3000rpm ! its definitely creeped over a few times already

Even though I have the best intentions, and trust the manufacturer to give the best possible information, there's absolutely no way I'll be staying under 3k rpm for the first 1000kms, I just won't be able to do it.

I'll take the long way home, on suburban roads and probably rack up 100k trying to keep it under 3k, then I'll drop all the oils, replace them and the filters, wash it, hug it, sleep in it, but on day 2 all bets are off. I'll try to stay sane, but I doubt I'll be disciplined enough to baby it :(

Each to there own.....but i do respect your honesty...Enjoy your car... Certainly drop the oil and filter...(mines being done today ) wash it...hug it...but i don`t think i would want to sleep in it.:eek:;):)

Reactions: B00n87
If we're being honest I've been taking the revs up to 4-5000 in 1st or 2nd (once the car has warmed up), a couple of times a day just so I can hear a pop from the exhaust....maybe scare a cyclist ;).

I am impatient bastard but I won t be pushing her to the red line until I've ran it too 600 miles. A challange i think i can achieve.

I've run in a few engines and I used to do it the way Speedking discribed it above.
That was until I visited the Lamborghini factory four years ago. I took the factorytour and they were just about to run in an Aventador engine. When I asked why they run in the engines in the factory, they answered that they wanted every engine to be run in the correct way so that it would meet their standards.
So they putted the brandnew engine on the stand and warmed it up gently. When the oil had reached workingtemperature... they revved the shit out of it for more than an hour...
I guess there are a few different opinions about running in an engine
I mostly stayed under 3000 rpm but every now and then I took it to the limiter.

I've run in a few engines and I used to do it the way Speedking discribed it above.
That was until I visited the Lamborghini factory four years ago. I took the factorytour and they were just about to run in an Aventador engine. When I asked why they run in the engines in the factory, they answered that they wanted every engine to be run in the correct way so that it would meet their standards.
So they putted the brandnew engine on the stand and warmed it up gently. When the oil had reached workingtemperature... they revved the shit out of it for more than an hour...
I guess there are a few different opinions about running in an engine
I mostly stayed under 3000 rpm but every now and then I took it to the limiter.

Thats very similar to how we used to run in proddy race bike engines - warm them up out of the crate until the oil flowed easily, drop the oil, refill, warm it up then ride the rings out of it! They lasted forever.

My dealer told me the engines are well ran in from the factory.

Same here but i tend to take it steady initially anyway to get the feel for the car.

Its taking a while to get the settings right trying normal steering today seems to make a difference to the turning circle will see on way home.