• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Orange sticker on each alloy?

Alcpone80

Nthusiast
Sep 29, 2020
Co. Durham
Hi,

Does anyone know what the orange sticker on each alloy is all about? I want to take them off but don't if they are needed to stay there.

Thanks,

Alex

I thought they indicate the position of the tyre for fitting for best balance. New tyre fitters should mark the balance point on the wheel and line up the new tyre when replacing, so no need to keep them.

I thought they indicate the position of the tyre for fitting for best balance. New tyre fitters should mark the balance point on the wheel and line up the new tyre when replacing, so no need to keep them.

Correct. That's what they are for in the factory.
There should be a dot on the tyres too.....

Reactions: Alcpone80
Not really. They don't indicate a balance point. I've seen it numerous times when mounting new tyres, especially when replacing a virtually new tyre. They never line up with the wheel and tyre balance point.

Also, the marks you're referring to are marked on the inside of the rim for the low or high spot. No one pays attention to them and for good reason.

Note: I just asked my brother-in-law , who works for Honda as a assembly line production supervisor. The only dots which represent anything, are the dots on the tyres themselves when they are mounted, not the rim. Most of them are removed by the dealer once the car is received and prepped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alcpone80
Here's TOYO tyres take on the red dot. Explains it better than I ever could.

RED DOT

The red dot follows the same concept as yellow, but itā€™s a little more complex. Applying to original equipment (the wheels and tyres the factory fitted your car with) the red dot indicates the radial force variation (RFV) high point of the tyre.

Tyres have high and low spots, differences in thickness and joins in the carcass and inner liner. These cause variations in the how each section of the tyre flexes up and down when running. Where sections of the tyre flex considerably more than other sections of the tyre during running, this can cause a vibration similar to an out-of round tyre.

Unaddressed, RFV means more force against the road at high point spots as the tyre rolls, causing the tyre to flex, a symptom called ā€˜radial runoutā€™. This causes vibration and worsens tread wear.

The red dot indicates the tyreā€™s high point for RFV. During fitting the red dot is matched to a drill mark or dot sticker on a wheel which indicates the wheelā€™s low point for radial runout.

Matching the two provides the minimum road force to prevent what tyre boffins call ā€˜ride disturbanceā€™, or vibration noticeable when driving.

So there you have it, the mystery of yellow and red put to bed. Remember, donā€™t panic if your dots donā€™t line up. Wheels are carefully balanced by technicians, and sometimes the valve stem or other indicator marks need to be adjusted.

Yeah and the balance points change with wear and use as well. I've always paid attention to the drill mark on the inside of the wheel and much less with anything on the tyre itself. With exception to the directional markers, of course.

@MrDeeJay appreciate you taking the time to post the information. It's far more than any tyre shop I know of, will talk about or apply. I don't believe they really know or understand.:)

Reactions: MrDeeJay
Correct Red. It's easier for them to just glue on more balance weights when they do the final balance. I've only met ONE fitter who marks the spot on the wheel before replacing the tyre. He's the guy I still use when I replace my tyres šŸ‘

Talking about replacing tyres, how's people finding fitters doing a good job of not knacking up their nice diamond cut alloys? I suspect I will just leave the rears on my car when the fronts need replacing and not rotate the wheels, then there will only be 2 alloys in the next couple of years at risk of being damaged šŸ¤”

Tell em, if they damage them they pay for them. They need to be utilizing the right machine first and it won't happen. First thing they need to show you is a tyre duck. Yep I said a tyre duck;
51t9rajp8fL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

If they don't have one walk away.

If they don't have one at least like this, walk away;
There is no reason to scratch or damage a rim. :)

Last edited:
Tell em, if they damage them they pay for them. They need to be utilizing the right machine first and it won't happen. First thing they need to show you is a tyre duck. Yep I said a tyre duck;
51t9rajp8fL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

If they don't have one walk away.

If they don't have one at least like this, walk away;
There is no reason to scratch or damage a rim. :)
I had a major national tyre fitter scratch mine when I had a puncture change. They ended up paying for the refurb which brought on a whole saga of other issues.. which ended with my car being fully stage 2 polished and ceramic coated for free..(not by the tyre fitter though šŸ™ƒ)

Reactions: GazmaN