• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis LSD on maximum turn manouvers

@WookieeM @asd I've sent an email over to Hyundai tech support to see what they suggest. Will let you know what they say...but I suspect it’ll be ‘that’s normal’.

@asd special bond = blacklisted. They blatantly just have my email address and it diverts my emails to a super special black hole junk mail folder. Never to be seen or replied to again :D

Reactions: cxnexo and WookieeM
I hope so!! It's just drivel anyway. Going to make me a special badge for my achievement, 'Most N-noying customer'. 'Wish she'd N-ever bought one'...

So just as expected the dealer told me this is normal on maximum turn manouvers, but they knew what I was talking about without me trailing them on to the eLSD, I just described what's happening, and they told me that's the diff at work, so I guess not as bad as it could be... Should you get any written statement from your guy @_Emma I'm still curious to hear what they told you.

Reactions: speedking and _Emma
@asd Heard back. Basically just fed back everything to me about Ackerman geometry yada yada yada. They didn’t provide any information on how to reduce it, just a copy paste job. I’ve responded asking more questions.

Mine is now occurring far more regularly. This morning less than ½ lock and it was a mess. After driving 90 minutes got to my parents today and put lock on and judder away!

Reactions: asd and speedking
@asd Heard back. Basically just fed back everything to me about Ackerman geometry yada yada yada. They didn’t provide any information on how to reduce it, just a copy paste job. I’ve responded asking more questions.

Mine is now occurring far more regularly. This morning less than ½ lock and it was a mess. After driving 90 minutes got to my parents today and put lock on and judder away!

I found it got worse with tyre wear. RainSport3’s don’t do it but they are really soft!

Reactions: asd and _Emma
@paul-h yeah, it definitely does. And the cold hasn’t helped. I’ll see if they can suggest anything else. My tyres from the check at service are still surprisingly good, 5-6 mm left on each. I definitely won’t keep the Pirelli’s though!

Reactions: paul-h
This is my first car with an lsd although I did test drive a civic tyre r and cupra with one. On the civic and cupra it was obvious on the test drive that the LSD was working both with mechanical noise and the trajectory of the car. With the i30n I test drove it wasn't something I thought about. Now a few months and 3 k miles on and I'm not convinced my elsd is working. I've been in all modes but haven't experienced the effect I expect. I'll go back to the dealer but I'm aware there are no error codes from an individual reader and app. So what are the obvious signs that the elsd is working or not. When applying power on right turns, I just get the tyres struggling for grip and the nose washing wide and then the rear end moving. Should there be any mechanical noise as the elsd intervenes? Any advice appreciated.

@asd spoke to them again today, and it’s ‘normal’. Goalposts moved a bit, first emails were it’s normal on full lock and cold (as we’d said) but then it’s normal generally on all cars and additionally if you’re driving aggressively on lock. I’d asked if they’d suggest anything to reduce it, and they said it’s normal again.

I’ve just emailed back to clarify when mine occurs (anything over quarter lock, any mode, warm or cold and not driving aggressively at all) in case anything comes up at a later date, as I’m sure if it did they’d be quick to find my emails!

Not really an update, but it’s there in writing from them.

Thanks Emma.

I’ll ask my wife how the car was today as it was freezing. Im pretty sure the ‘issue’ has been eliminated after my replacement tyres though.

Reactions: asd and _Emma
@Crocoman I was pushing a little to see if they’d admit that changing the tyres would help, but they wouldn’t - I’m wasn’t expecting them to really. Mine are still at 5mm on the fronts so going to hang on a little bit longer.

It’s quite funny how cagey/vague they are about it. I always found with my old car, They were fairly straight up about stuff, but I only dealt with the dealer who just told it straight (probably not always a good thing!). But I guess the car is still too new for that.

Reactions: Crocoman
I wonder if the people running 18 inch wheels (on the Performance model of course) experience this noise?

My wife has mentioned that the noise actually turns heads! I think different tyres quite clearly makes a difference.....

I’m not surprised that the dealers are non commital on something like this. I’m pretty sure this is mentioned in the manual, in terms of low speed manoeuvres and the noise, but I could have made that last part up!

That's my replacement tyre selection sorted then.

They are very good I must say. I know I keep mentioning my wife! But she is the main driver. She is very impressed by the overall feel of the car and it’s obviously safer. Although we had around 3mm on both fronts, the outer edges were literally baldy.

And the bonus is the clunky, noisy E-LSD seems to be sorted.

Reactions: Stash-N
After swapping to 18" Dunlop Winter Sports 5 I also haven't yet experienced this, but I suspect that may be due to different grip offered by those tyres. Pirellis I believe were much grippier even in cold weather. On overtorquing the traction pirellis would wheelhop while these give just a clean quiet wheelspin, so that's my theory anyway...

I think it's not unreasonable to assume that the judder isn't healthy for neither the tyres or the LSD, so trying to avoid if possible, but the already unimpressive turn radius isn't making it easier.

@Crocoman it does turn heads, both passengers and bystanders :/ not cool