• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Issues with 5th/6th gear (and 1st/2nd)

I seem to have this problem with 5th and 6th. its like it catches on something on the way into gear. really have to give it a bit of force to make sure its fully in gear.

Reactions: fehege
My N has this issue, too. But I'm not really bothered.

Usually the upper gears are synchronized by a single synchronizer ring (due to a progressive gearing, the increment between to consecutive gears is getting smaller with higher gears. Therefor the rpm gap, that has to be synchronized in the upper gears, isn't as big as in the lower gears).
So u might need a little higher force to engage 5th and 6th gear compared to the lower gears which are synchronized by multiple synchronizer rings. This also results in a more direct feeling in the single synchronized gears - means it sometimes feels a bit rough to pass the blocker ring and to snap into the undercut in the engagement ring.
All the crisp transmissions I've been driving so far (MX-5 ND, Mini R57 JCW and now the i30N) had that sort of "problem" in the higher gears. Usually it gets better with time due to wear in blocker, synchronizer and engagement ring...

For more technical background on synchronizers:
http://mobile.hoerbiger.com/upload/file/2013_basicsofsynchronizers.pdf

Until 2000km I had this problem but now it's smooth like the others gears.

Yeah I've also noticed in mine I sometimes struggle to find 6th gear. I've never really thought much of it to be honest........... I used to have a similar 'problem' with my Fiesta ST.

Reactions: Gle N
I didn't have this issue for the first 1000 miles but can feel it now.

I don't mind, I quite enjoy giving it a shunt :D

Has anyone experienced a stubborn 5th gear at all? It seems at high rev gear changes it offers a lot of resistance when shifting in regardless of being an up change or a down change....

Just issues with 6th gear here! But now gone completely and is as it should be!

i think it was mentioned somewhere that the 5+6th gear can need more force shifting than the rest. not sure where i read this.