• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N facelift Hatch or Sedan or previous 2019-2020 i30N

bronny

Apr 29, 2022
Hi All

I'm completely new to the hyundai brand. Been so curious about whether people have thought about this matter before.
I love going for a blast down the backroads once every so often and thus i do want to make sure that i can buy the right car for me.

Looking at the i30N's and how much they have been praised has caught my attention of considering looking into one further, especially with 2nd hand performance vehicles holding their value or even appreciating in value.

I am so surprised that even the 2018 i30N's are holding their value at $38k - $40k and they were originally $40k brand new at the time.
Now looking at these vehicles with maybe a bit lower kms e.g. $30-$50k they are still approx $40-45k for 2019 or 2020 models.

Would you guys rather pay $50-53k for a brand new one instead? the facelift model? or would you guys just save the 7-10k and just go for the 2019/2020 model? because its such a good car?

Background info
I have a 18 months old baby and i have a bigger SUV for doing the daily stuff with the child seat in the SUV, Im looking for a spare car that the mrs can drive, just in case she doesn't wanna to drive the bigger SUV. I currently also have a manual 2 seater Mini JCW roadster and thus have to change cars to pick up the bubby from child care. Looking at a fun 5 door car that i can replace my roadster. I have a group of car nut enthusiasts who drives STI, Focus RS, Evo's, S3. TTRS, A45's and the like, so enjoying our back road blasts are important to us.

I finally had time to go to the dealership and drive the i30 sedan N and the hatch.

Thoughts on the i30 Sedan N and first time driving a N car.
I know that the i30 Sedan N would have the better interior. i hope that the car will give me a boy racer feeling that i get from my roadster whilst doing all the practical stuff for the family. I love the steering wheel with the red NGS button and all the gimmicks or fun factor that the car gives me with the DCT, from launch control, NGS button, power shift etc. I know that the sedan N is also a lighter car than the hatch so given all of the new toys and the car being lighter and also the 245 tyres etc, it all seemed like such good value for money!!! :)
Upon driving the car even with all the feel good buttons etc. my initial thoughts of the car was that it was very tame. I would give it the Juice as they say and it was quite gradual in terms of the cars eagerness to go. they are right in saying that this car really feels like a touring car. It didnt give me the joy that i thought that it would. However i have to admit its a very nice stable family car with all the latest tech, unfortunately it didnt thrill me as much as i thought it would.

Thoughts on the i30 N Hatch and 2nd time driving a N car.
driving out of the dealership i straight away noticed that the car is much more firm. Steering weight was harder and it felt much more sharper. I gave it some juice and i felt an instant rush that the car was very eager to go. i felt that the engine was a lot more alive than in the Sedan N. Surprising to me that both cars had the same engine and that the hatch was a heavier car than the Sedan N. i went through just the small backroads and then went to the highway to test out the acceleration on the hatch. I felt that this is much more of a sports car. It gave me that boy racer feeling. Even though the facelift version didnt have the digital dash and all the pizzazz that the Sedan has, i didnt at all care anymore. To me , it was a drivers car. It has the 4 doors that i need to put my baby in, and i can say that the suspension is not as hard as my Mini JCW thus i dont mind the firm ride. If anything i think it gives you more road feel. I dont want to modify cars anymore and this little hatch gives you all that fund factor that your looking for and track ready and capable. I have some sports cars, and there are a handful of cars that gives you the feeling that the car is asking you "is that all you got? Push me harder, i can go faster, come on, go go go!! " The cars that gave me this feeling was the old civic EK type R, Lotus Exige S 240 and 400, also the 987.2 Boxter S with upgraded coilover suspension and im sure of cayman s aswell. I can say that the i30N to my surprise also gave me this feeling which i am so happy about!

I thank you for taking the time to read this post until now, but my question is given the 2021/2022 Facelift i30N is such a fun car. how does the 2017-2020 models feel? is it the same? Would you save that 10k and buy the 2019-2020 model instead of the facelift one given that you dont want to modify your car.
or would you just go and get the i30N hatch or sedan?

Reactions: Xephi and Nemesis
This is the only type of car I purchased new and would purchase new again.
You never know what the owner(s) did with it before.
The N's beg to be thrashed around. And giving it the beans with nothing up to temperature just induces a lot of wear on all the things.
Not so much of an issue (could still be, but very unlikely) if you get a standard model.

This is the only type of car I purchased new and would purchase new again.
You never know what the owner(s) did with it before.
The N's beg to be thrashed around. And giving it the beans with nothing up to temperature just induces a lot of wear on all the things.
Not so much of an issue (could still be, but very unlikely) if you get a standard model.
Your correct to say Yes being thrashed not being up to temp is definitely harsh but thank goodness for warranty lol. By damn all performance cars are holding their value these days.

Just now, going out the front door, a neighbor clutchdumped her Golf Plus into our street (7kph topspeed), with squaling tyres and all. Forget what I said and go with your gut.

Reactions: bronny and FBNBP
I've got a MY19 I30N hatch and it's a true drivers car, the suspension is firmer than the later 20 onwards models but not harsh by any means. I've had it nearly 4 years and it still makes me smile when I rag it. I've had Subaru models before this and the N is a better drivers car.

7-10K for a brand new car which in 4 years will only drop roughly 10k? Seems like a win to me.

I just picked up my Premium manual I30N in Engine red two weeks ago and honestly it's amazing. Such a great car to drive as a daily.

Reactions: bronny
7-10K for a brand new car which in 4 years will only drop roughly 10k? Seems like a win to me.

I just picked up my Premium manual I30N in Engine red two weeks ago and honestly it's amazing. Such a great car to drive as a daily.
So happy for you ! I had a chance to drive the manual facelift today. Just out of curiosity, do u find that the elbow armrest gets in the way when u shift gears ? Amazing car no doubt, thinking of whether to just buy one like yours premium manual which has the seats, or dct base model or just go balls to the walls and wait for the limited edition N drive model purely for the alcantera interior

So happy for you ! I had a chance to drive the manual facelift today. Just out of curiosity, do u find that the elbow armrest gets in the way when u shift gears ? Amazing car no doubt, thinking of whether to just buy one like yours premium manual which has the seats, or dct base model or just go balls to the walls and wait for the limited edition N drive model purely for the alcantera interior

I mean I don't no, the shifter is a fair distance from where your arm rest is so personally I haven't had any issues.

The alcantera interior is nice, but the hatch seats hug you super well. I will also say the hatch analog dash is much nicer on the eyes than the digital one in the sedan. Personally just isn't high enough resolution to not look 'hazy' in my eyes.

I mean I don't no, the shifter is a fair distance from where your arm rest is so personally I haven't had any issues.

The alcantera interior is nice, but the hatch seats hug you super well. I will also say the hatch analog dash is much nicer on the eyes than the digital one in the sedan. Personally just isn't high enough resolution to not look 'hazy' in my eyes.
Fair nuff and yes after driving the hatch I didn’t care about the digital dash etc in the sedan or the Kona. Love the premium bucket seats but for me. it’s either the base with dct cause the gearbox rocks and deal with the cloth seats or the premiums interior with manual. Either way it’s the right choice

Does the fastback have a digital Dash in your country??? where are you from??? In Spain the fastback comes with an analog dash and you can only order the "Sky" finish (with panoramic roof). And you can't order the N-Light seats... It comes standard with the other heated, memory and power seats... There the steering wheel has the red circular NGS button like the Kona or is it integrated in black with the rest like here in Spain? How can there be these differences according to countries?

a greeting

I have just racked up 3,000km on my Shadow Grey Premium manual - love everything about it! Personally, digital dashes don't belong in a performance car in my opinion. Have not driven the DCT but heard its good. I went with the car because I wanted a manual and premium for the seats and other bits. Awesome car that loves to be driven as it was designed.

Does the fastback have a digital Dash in your country??? where are you from??? In Spain the fastback comes with an analog dash and you can only order the "Sky" finish (with panoramic roof). And you can't order the N-Light seats... It comes standard with the other heated, memory and power seats... There the steering wheel has the red circular NGS button like the Kona or is it integrated in black with the rest like here in Spain? How can there be these differences according to countries?

a greeting
Analogue for hatch and fastback, digital for the sedan and Kona in Australia

Reactions: FBNBP