• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30N DCT - what's next?

Howy

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2017
West Yorkshire
Now that the i30N has been discontinued I'm starting to think about what my next car might be next year when my PCP ends. If I stay petrol maybe GR Yaris though it sounds as though they will be hard to get. Alternatively is it time to consider going electric (not ioniq 5n - too expensive).
Just wondering what other i30N drivers would consider?

I will be going fully EV. Consider buying the new Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous if the price fits my budget.

BEV vehicles as we know it are a temp stopgap, but not the solution currently imo too. It's just changing one finite resource for another with a "green" argument. (I'll be avoiding until I am really forced into that rabbit hole)

Having driven a few other options before deciding on the i30N; anything DCT/auto for me is not quite on the cards, and there's not a lot else out there in terms of bang for buck or driving enjoyment.

The GR Yaris is a lot less practical than the i30N if that's a consideration too.

I don't think electric battery cars are here to stay, massive fire risk, heavy, charging outside of home is too expensive, limited range, long charge times, broke chargers, charger queues, I could go on.
But you could just as easily list things against the combustion engine. Every type of drive has its advantages and disadvantages.

Go on then, please list the cons of the ICE.

Bear in mind that in the UK we have a power grid that barely reaches normal demand , never mind millions of EV cars wanting to charge. The capacity simply isn't there both in generating and cable capacity.

Go on then, please list the cons of the ICE.
- higher costs per kilometer since $ petrol > electricty
- higher maintenance costs due to oil, fluids, filters, etc.
- more wearing parts, therefore more parts that can break or need to be serviced/repaired
- slower from 0 to 60mph/100kmh (if you don't have a >100k car, and even then partly :D)

Also, if I refer to your points

- heavy -> clearly depends on the car and is also not a indicator for non-agility. If you ever drove a Taycan (Turbo S) you wouldn't guess that the car is around 2.3t
- charging outside of home is too expensive -> also really depends on the infrastructure
- broke chargers -> i've seen much more broken petrol dispensers than chargers
- charger queues -> ever tried to fill up gas on a sunny day when the price drops very low? I waited 15min in the line because I need to pay inside at the cashier (no automatic payment since good old Germany...)

Don't get me wrong. I love petrol cars but I don't like lateral thinkers who demonize everything without having taken a closer look at it. (not necessarily aimed at you)

Bear in mind that in the UK we have a power grid that barely reaches normal demand , never mind millions of EV cars wanting to charge. The capacity simply isn't there both in generating and cable capacity.
Local problem and not applicable to the whole world. Just look how good the infrastructure is in the Netherlands, Norway or Sweden.

Apart from that, I didn't want to start a fundamental discussion, so sorry about that.

Just wondering what other i30N drivers would consider?
The plan* is to keep it at least 5 years, longer if there are no major (expensive) problems.

I don't know if EVs are here to stay or not, but these are the plans for most of the big players:

Alfa Romeo going 100% EV starting 2027
Audi starting 2026
BMW 50% till 2030, 100% by 2033
Citroen starting 2024
Fiat starting 2030
Ford by 2035
Genesis starting 2025
Hyundai starting 2026 with hybrids only (planned), and 100% EV starting 2035
Jaguar starting 2025
Land Rover starting 2025
Mazda 40% EV till 2030, 60% hybrid
Mercedes starting 2025 till 2030
Mini starting 2030
Nissan 50% till 2030
Opel starting 2028
Porsche starting 2030
Seat starting 2025
Skoda will produce more EVs but no concrete exit year for ICEs planned
Toyota starting 2035
VW wants to stop ICEs by 2026, new generation of EVs coming 2028, 100% starting 2033
Volvo starting 2030

So yeah, most likely my next car will be some EV if it really becomes the norm (at least for the next 10–20 years)…

Maybe this 🤷‍♂️

coughcough.jpg
*some deadly pandemic having a drink with a couple of wars in the background

The problem is that they are not selling, too expensive to buy and insure, most people do not have off street charging.

The problem is that they are not selling, too expensive to buy and insure, most people do not have off street charging.
Yes, that's very true.

The plan is to make them more affordable, as it'll be the main (and only) product, and build the infrastructure needed till 2035ish (no ICEs will be sold in the EU starting 2035). Whether the plan stays as is, or if they'll manage to achieve that or not… 🤷‍♂️

It's going to suck for everyone if they won't.

Reactions: Jajodu
I'm going to stick to ICE as much as I can.
Not liking the fact they can shut down my car on Tuesdays due to some environmental BS.

I know that all the major manufacturers are pushing for BEV's - and a few will stick with some hybrid. And I do get that it is lifetime of the car related and "something" needs to change.

but until a more energy dense solution is found - and becomes cost effective - we're just being priced out to take something that's less convenient for the consumer for the sake of ticking some boxes.

There was the same push for diesels, and look what happened there.... so I predict a momentum shift at some point.

I'd have been much much happier if more car co's had pushed for hydrogen - yes there's the desalination question there, but at least there were quite a few potential solutions to some of the early model limitations. (and more easily able to convert existing dead dino infrastructure)

Another major factor of the weight of modern cars (BEV or otherwise) is that infrastructure has not been designed to cope with things that are pushing 2T as the norm. Some cars are up now nearly 3T....Multi-story car parks, older bridges etc.

Going back to the OP's question having thought a bit more about it - I kept/drove a 5.0 V8 S550 mustang as my daily for 7.5 years (sold to get the i30N); it was totally impractical and I should have got rid sooner from a head decision, but heart played a part.
My other car (currently SORN'd) is a 20 year old MG ZS diesel that's pushing 2x MGR's outputs, with uprated pretty much everything bar the bodywork, windows, interior & with the the majority of the engine internals still stock - the point of that little tangent/background.... Is I tend to keep my cars for a decent while because I buck the modern trend and don't get things on finance.

Hopefully car prices come down, anything above 40k becomes a *serious* investment to be planned for when you consider depreciation of the asset used to keep things rolling without using finance options.

It's crazy to think just how much car prices have risen - 20 years ago my 9 month old ZS cost me £12k to buy with a new list price of £16k; the mustang in 2016 cost me £35k new, same spec now is over £50k

So I'm going to me more concerned about what car I can afford to buy outside of what I *want* to buy I fear..

I also don't want an SUV - so I also really hope that trend ends soon and the sheeple globally realise that they're not any better than other options, and if every-one drives a big old tall box, no-one gets better "commanding" road positions over any-one else!

Reactions: Jajodu and Nemesis
I know that all the major manufacturers are pushing for BEV's - and a few will stick with some hybrid. And I do get that it is lifetime of the car related and "something" needs to change.

but until a more energy dense solution is found - and becomes cost effective - we're just being priced out to take something that's less convenient for the consumer for the sake of ticking some boxes.

There was the same push for diesels, and look what happened there.... so I predict a momentum shift at some point.

I'd have been much much happier if more car co's had pushed for hydrogen - yes there's the desalination question there, but at least there were quite a few potential solutions to some of the early model limitations. (and more easily able to convert existing dead dino infrastructure)

Another major factor of the weight of modern cars (BEV or otherwise) is that infrastructure has not been designed to cope with things that are pushing 2T as the norm. Some cars are up now nearly 3T....Multi-story car parks, older bridges etc.

Going back to the OP's question having thought a bit more about it - I kept/drove a 5.0 V8 S550 mustang as my daily for 7.5 years (sold to get the i30N); it was totally impractical and I should have got rid sooner from a head decision, but heart played a part.
My other car (currently SORN'd) is a 20 year old MG ZS diesel that's pushing 2x MGR's outputs, with uprated pretty much everything bar the bodywork, windows, interior & with the the majority of the engine internals still stock - the point of that little tangent/background.... Is I tend to keep my cars for a decent while because I buck the modern trend and don't get things on finance.

Hopefully car prices come down, anything above 40k becomes a *serious* investment to be planned for when you consider depreciation of the asset used to keep things rolling without using finance options.

It's crazy to think just how much car prices have risen - 20 years ago my 9 month old ZS cost me £12k to buy with a new list price of £16k; the mustang in 2016 cost me £35k new, same spec now is over £50k

So I'm going to me more concerned about what car I can afford to buy outside of what I *want* to buy I fear..

I also don't want an SUV - so I also really hope that trend ends soon and the sheeple globally realise that they're not any better than other options, and if every-one drives a big old tall box, no-one gets better "commanding" road positions over any-one else!
It's the same with motorbikes, my other passion. For SUV's substitute Adventure Bikes, pig ugly, too tall and pointless as the most adventurous thing they do is park on the pavement.