• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i20N Smartstream Engine

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I'd like to know also;

Smartstream G1.6T (G4FP)

The Smartstream G1.6 T-GDI[15] replaced the 1.6 Gamma T-GDI engine. It is a 1,598 cc (97.5 cu in) turbocharged inline 4-cylinder engine with GDi that carries a bore and stroke of 75.6 mm and 89 mm respectively and a 10.5:1 compression ratio. This is the world's first production engine to use Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD) technology, allowing it to adjust how long its intake valves remain open independently of timing and lift. Hyundai claims a 4% increase in performance, 5% increase in efficiency, and a 12% decrease in tailpipe emissions due to this technology.[16]

The engine makes 180 PS (178 hp; 132 kW) at 5,500 rpm or 204 PS (201 hp; 150 kW) at 6,000 rpm depending on application, with 27 kg⋅m (195 lb⋅ft; 265 N⋅m) of torque between 1,500 and 4,500 rpm.

Last edited:

Toxic

Nthusiast
Oct 22, 2020
Bangor
Yes BC3N is the model name. Engine code is G4FIII

Thanks, that's very interesting, all the other Smartstream engine codes are just 4 characters in length.

The New Elantra looks like it has the same engine then.

Hyundai-Elantra-N-Line-i30-Sedan-42.jpg

i20N: (pistonheads)
i20N_02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
@[B]jakpolivka[/B], I wasn't inferring you were stupid or any thing derogatory. I'm sorry if I wasn't understanding or defining enough. I've worked on engines most of my life, especially reciprocating aircraft engines and definitely understand the older Gamma II. I didn't fully understand and wanted. With so little information on the motor it's hard to get past their previous line of engine GDI technology. You're right Hyundai most certainly leads one to a difficult comprehension.

I've dealt with both type aircraft engines. I didn't think any different for them as I do for the Hyundai engine. I've learned something today about them. I had no idea the duty of one injector could be split with both functions, especially from what I understand of other similar technology.

My
apologies again, I was being stubborn minded. I simply wanted to put the two together along with the newer smart stream technology. I understand Toyota's approach and thought it was similar.:)

Toxic

Nthusiast
Oct 22, 2020
Bangor
fair enough. guess we need to broaden the amount of topics for the i20N rather than one thread. Thanks!

Reactions: GazmaN

Toxic

Nthusiast
Oct 22, 2020
Bangor
Anyone know if the stock engine supports overboost? I ask as there was documentation early on that the i20N had this function.

PsystormNE

Nthusiast
May 5, 2021
Germany
I saw an official Statement from Hyundai somewhere. Unfortunately i cant find it again ...

They said the car is producing 275NM of torque with a maximum of 310NM while using overboost.

That would also explain why in the pipercross Video on YT u can clearly see it reaches 310NM quite often (Max was 314)

Reactions: Jepper and loboo