• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Hatchback or Fastback?

Alfaz

Nthusiast
May 19, 2021
North East
Hello all,

I am hoping to buy a used i30n Performance in the next couple of weeks and am split as to which body style I should go for.

I have only driven the Hatchback but I am told they are very similar and i need help in making my decision!

My thoughts and questions on each below, appreciate your comments please...

Hatchback
- Don't like the look of the rear end.
- Not sure my 8 foot surfboard will fit into it
- Love the exhuast note, i am told fastback is quieter?

Fastback
- Prefer the styling
- Is it actually any more practical and spacious?
- Low roof height in the back due to lower roof line?

I am 180cm tall and I hit the ceiling with my head in the backseat of the fastback (Facelift).

Reactions: Alfaz
I don't know how the surfboard will fit in either one.

Take the one you like aesthetically more, there's no other way.

Reactions: Bu11eT
How often do you actually carry tall passengers in your rear seats?
Both the fastback and the hatch are quieter with the OPF. You can easily remediate that with an OPF delete pipe.
The fastback does have more boot space, but it's anyway mostly about looks.
The hatch also has more aftermarket parts (spoilers, diffusers, etc.) if you're into that.

Hatchback
- Don't like the look of the rear end.

Fastback
- Prefer the styling

Deep down you already know your choice , no ? :p

The fastback has more cargo space while the hatchback has more rear seats head room.

The exhaust noise difference is relevant to pre-2019 models but in ether case the car is "loud enough". If you are looking into louder sounds, probably you will be soon looking how to replace exhaust parts anyway :)

8 foot board inside the car, will come all the way between the driver and passenger seats for both body styles. You might want to check some other options like a roof rail if that will be a frequent thing , especially with other people in the car.

Reactions: Alfaz
How often do you actually carry tall passengers in your rear seats?
Both the fastback and the hatch are quieter with the OPF. You can easily remediate that with an OPF delete pipe.
The fastback does have more boot space, but it's anyway mostly about looks.
The hatch also has more aftermarket parts (spoilers, diffusers, etc.) if you're into that.

Quite often, I would say once a week at least.
Yes I would love to do that, but won't a OPF/PPF delete invalidate the Hyundai warranty?

Deep down you already know your choice , no ? :p

The exhaust noise difference is relevant to pre-2019 models but in ether case the car is "loud enough". If you are looking into louder sounds, probably you will be soon looking how to replace exhaust parts anyway :)

Haha... I thought I did, I was leaning towards the Fastback, but due to the lower roof height I am thinking the hatchback is a better option. More choice on the second hand market for hatchbacks anyway.

Yes I had considered a Remus cat-back, but again I don't want to invalidate the warranty.

Thanks for everyone's help... I am going to see a 2019 Performance Blue hatchback at the weekend thats on Autotrader.co.uk. Hopefully its the one for me 😊

Reactions: GazmaN
Thanks for everyone's help... I am going to see a 2019 Performance Blue hatchback at the weekend thats on Autotrader.co.uk. Hopefully its the one for me 😊

hopefully will turn out to be a great car and have a good experience with it and then...go buy the fastback you wanted 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 (sorry , couldn't help it :) )