• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Australian Hyundai Dealers and i30N

Got my car back today for the 6th gear issue from Melbourne City Hyundai. Overall pretty well pleased, only downside was that it took from 9/11/202 - 4/12/2020, so creeping upto a month., However I did get a 2021 i30 loan car, was neat. The lane assist on the loan car was insane, literally drove it self over the Bolte Bridge, although it does it in a series of like 100 twitches. Had a huge as touchscreen as well.

Got the car back today, no issues on the free way with 6th. The clutch even feels slightly heavier than I previously recall, although it's been about a month and before was lockdown so hardly drove it. But I actually kinda like feels easier to control the 1st to 2nd shift, I hope it stays this way.

Overall good experience, downside was the time taken, but I wasn't anywhere in a hurry so it turned out fine.

P.S On the report is says 5th/6th synchro was worn out. I never had an issue with 5th. Second I brought this car new last September (09/19) and it only has 5K kilometres on it. AND 5th/6th is like the least used gear so I did find it a bit curious they said "worn out". However it felt fine on my first trip home, so I'm not gonna push them on how they got to that conclusion

PS.2 They did call to ask me if it was OK if the techs take it out for a test drive

Report below:
gearbox_report.jpg

Last edited:
Overall good experience, downside was the time taken, but I wasn't anywhere in a hurry so it turned out fine.

[...]

PS.2 They did call to ask me if it was OK if the techs take it out for a test drive

It might be because of GazmaN's experience, but I read this and was actually quite pleased you mentioned both of these things.

I got my car via Essendon Hyundai (well, got is a bit strong here - I've ordered it), and whilst I've heard nothing but good things about them, I'm happy to know that there's somewhere else I can go if I need to.

Yeah I actually live near the Essendon DFO so Hyundai Essendon fields was the first place I went. I can't recall why, but ended up at Melbourne city Hyundai, it may have been only like $500-1,000 difference, I can't precisely remember.

It might be because of GazmaN's experience, but I read this and was actually quite pleased you mentioned both of these things.

I got my car via Essendon Hyundai (well, got is a bit strong here - I've ordered it), and whilst I've heard nothing but good things about them, I'm happy to know that there's somewhere else I can go if I need to.
Yeah sorry I've put a bit of a black cloud over this one. It is heartening to hear that my issues are not across the board. Essendon have a great reputation on FB according to the wife and I hear nothing but good things about Phil Gilbert up in NSW - I've spoken to them on the phone / online / bought parts and had them shipped multiple times and they've been a pleasure to deal with.

Let's just put my (ongoing) issues down to the "Darwin factor" like you suggested. Hope your car gets to you soon!

Reactions: LordPave
Yeah sorry I've put a bit of a black cloud over this one. It is heartening to hear that my issues are not across the board. Essendon have a great reputation on FB according to the wife and I hear nothing but good things about Phil Gilbert up in NSW - I've spoken to them on the phone / online / bought parts and had them shipped multiple times and they've been a pleasure to deal with.

Let's just put my (ongoing) issues down to the "Darwin factor" like you suggested. Hope your car gets to you soon!

Probably down to them holding a monopoly on Hyundai dealers here. Although their greed/stupidity with you has probably lost them a sale for me. The i30n sedan was on my shortlist for when I buy (next year or 2) but not sure I'm willing to buy a performance car from a dealership that'd treat a performance car buyer so atrociously. Especially with the issues Hyundai have been having with engines (perfectly fine with that risk, but not with a dealer like this).

Best of luck resolving your issues. Might be worth trying to push it as high up with Hyundai as possible, they seemed pretty eager to sort out issues some users in this thread were having a few years ago. With all luck you might even get them sorted well enough for them to be on the table for me ;)

Reactions: LordPave and GazmaN
The i30n sedan was on my shortlist for when I buy (next year or 2) but not sure I'm willing to buy a performance car from a dealership that'd treat a performance car buyer so atrociously.

As someone who now has two different brand cars (Hyundai & Kia) under new car warranty with local dealers I have zero faith in, it's just not worth the risk. By comparison my Honda dealer is simply brilliant.

I might have to make a call mid next year to sell a car and while getting rid of the Honda makes sense for financial and practical reasons, the local Hyundai dealers are that bad I'm probably going to sell the i30N. Which is sad because it is a perfect car for what I want but I've wasted weeks of my life in the past few years dealing with dodgy dealers and I'm just over it.

I dont think you need to apologise - I think its a little Darwinian PTSD coming through. Was chatting to the parents about the new car, and they were reminding me about all the problems we had with the Ford dealership with car we owned and a NT Fleet cars my father had.

Collectively, I think that the car industry is overdue for substantial change - I wonder if there's anyone on these forums (or really, any car forum) who hasnt been burnt by dealerships. I think we're all so filled with doubt, because of their penchant for screwing people over.

Which is a shame, because there are undoubtedly good dealerships (Melbourne Hyundai, as an example here) who get tarred with the same brush and it hurts these good guys, sometimes irreparably.

Reactions: GazmaN
As someone who now has two different brand cars (Hyundai & Kia) under new car warranty with local dealers I have zero faith in, it's just not worth the risk. By comparison my Honda dealer is simply brilliant.

I might have to make a call mid next year to sell a car and while getting rid of the Honda makes sense for financial and practical reasons, the local Hyundai dealers are that bad I'm probably going to sell the i30N. Which is sad because it is a perfect car for what I want but I've wasted weeks of my life in the past few years dealing with dodgy dealers and I'm just over it.

Reckon I'd have to agree. Just such a damn shame with how good the car seems.

Suppose the Toyota 86 is an option (maybe, not sold on a car that needs 98 fuel), they seem to be pretty well reviewed. A dealer in palmerston as well.

Reactions: mickjf
Nope, I dont really use Facebook tbh - I'll have to make an exception for this. Also, I'm still (impatiently) awaiting my car :)
nor do i, i only really use it to check the group. they had a drive on this weekend just passed but i couldnt go, check it out

You must keep us informed about the outcome. What a bunch of grippers (that's wankers without the intelligence to move their hands)
I’ll do the TL;DR bit now: the people at the dealership are retarded, incompetent and nasty, Hyundai suck, the i30N is a great car but I’m thinking of switching to Ford.

An update. There isn’t one, really. But since my last enraged email to the service manager (and his arrogant response) after they did a shoddy repair, thrashed my car and damaged it yet again I sent another email after I’d calmed down some. I explained that I just wanted the initial damage they’d done repaired properly. No response. So, after a few weeks I contacted Hyundai Customer Care and made a complaint.

Bloke I spoke to asked if I had documented everything (you bet) so I emailed him a 12 page document with a clinical timeline, photos of both lots of damage and dodgy repair to the first lot, and all the email correspondence I’d had with the service manager. He said they’d review it, contact the dealer and someone would get in touch with me. That was in mid-December. Mid-January and still nothing. I sent a follow-up email. Nothing.

I called Customer Care again last week and they told me that they’d contacted the dealer just before Christmas requesting they get in touch with me to discuss a resolution. I confirmed I’d heard nothing from the dealer so they said they’d send a reminder, and that I could certainly expect to hear from them soon. That was seven days ago…

I’ve never had a problem with Hyundai (as a company) until now – just Darwin Motor Group; their reputation is despicable. Now I’m in two minds and more than a little torn. I’m convinced Hyundai could not care less. But I dearly love my N. It is mechanically perfect and has been 100% reliable however I’m struggling to respect the brand / the badge anymore. What if a warranty issue presents itself? How can I take it back to them?!? They can’t even change wiper blades without damaging the bloody car ffs! Yet I can’t really bear the thought of parting with it.

What do I do folks? Just hope nothing major goes wrong with it for the next few years? Or get rid of it while it is still mint aside from the damage those morons have done to it twice? Ford and Toyota are the only brands with hot hatches that Darwin Motor Group don’t have in their evil clutches. Yaris is out due to price / availability / looks (IMO), which leaves Focus or Fiesta (I really like it) STs as the only other options really.

Perhaps the new 86/BRZ might interest you.
When I got the i30N, the other car I had in consideration (around the same price point) was the Peugeot 308 Gti. Which I just googled and apparently has been discontinued this year (in Australia). The only thing I didn't like in the reviews was the backwards tach and in sports mode the whole tach went red, so you couldn't see red line.

Alternatively you could move to Melbourne (now corona free since Dec/2020) :p
I'd vouch for Melbourne City Hyundai

Last edited:
Hi guys, new here I ordered the 2021 i30n with the DCT and sunroof, really looking forward to the car, I hope the dealer is not as bad as you guys are having, my parents own a Accent they brought from the same dealer and never had issues, but this is a performance car compared so will have to wait and see.

Hi everyone!

New member here. I got my beauty of an i30N (Shadow Grey with sunroof) 2 weeks ago delivered from Victoria (I live in NSW). I’m out in the Western Sydney area and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a service centre in Sydney. Given the car is from VIC, I have little to no experience with NSW dealerships so recommendations/suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: GazmaN and LordPave
I’ll do the TL;DR bit now: the people at the dealership are retarded, incompetent and nasty, Hyundai suck, the i30N is a great car but I’m thinking of switching to Ford.

[...]

What do I do folks? Just hope nothing major goes wrong with it for the next few years? Or get rid of it while it is still mint aside from the damage those morons have done to it twice? Ford and Toyota are the only brands with hot hatches that Darwin Motor Group don’t have in their evil clutches. Yaris is out due to price / availability / looks (IMO), which leaves Focus or Fiesta (I really like it) STs as the only other options really.

I feel for you, I'm seriously having flashbacks as I read this. If Darwin wasn't prone to this sort of BS, I'd probably still be living there.

Echoing what @Jajodu said, I think if you really like the car you ought to keep it. Warranty wise, if you can go to an independent who can perform logbook services, then you're still covered warranty wise - ACCC has settled this particular matter before. The only limitation will be for software updates, but the larger companies in this space have enough flex to get manufacturers to provide the requisite tooling etc.

In so far as dealing with warranty issues, the theory is that you ought to be fine and Hyundai will likely treat you appropriately. In reality, if you have a fight, then it'll be a combination of ACCC and social media that enables Hyundai to "see the light" as it were.

DMG are useless, so there's no value in barking up that tree. But maybe keep pushing Hyundai Australia and get them to be flexible in their approach with you. If you can keep Hyundai onside, then you're fine.

This is preaching to the choir here, so you've undoubtedly considered all of it - you do have to do what's right, but at the same time I'd hate for you (or anyone else) to be forced into making a financially expensive decision simply because of a idiotic dealer - why do you have to pay a penalty? It should be the dealer who pays.

Hi everyone!

New member here. I got my beauty of an i30N (Shadow Grey with sunroof) 2 weeks ago delivered from Victoria (I live in NSW). I’m out in the Western Sydney area and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a service centre in Sydney. Given the car is from VIC, I have little to no experience with NSW dealerships so recommendations/suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Great choice of colour! I'm a big fan of the Shadow Grey :p

There's a few NSW based owners here, someone posted their preferred place of service I'm sure. Hopefully one of them sees this sooner.

Reactions: I30Nuu_